What's new

Growing a beard - how and when should I trim it?

Hi,

After many years as a DE shaver, I decided two months ago, that it was time to try growing a beard. I am satisfied with the result, it is not patchy, and I get a lot of positive comments on it. However, I find myself in uncharted waters when it comes to maintaining it. I trim the neckline with a DE razor, so that part is ok, and I also use beard oil every day.

My main problem is how and when should I start trimming the "main beard". I am leaning towards getting a beard trimmer, as I don't think I will be able to get a good result with scissors. The models I have been checking out can cut from between 0.4 mm to 7 or 10 mm. I would like a beard with good, full volume, that still looks "tidy". Is 7 or 10 mm enough for that ?

I trim my beard with hair clippers, just because I have them already. I use a #2 on my face and a #1 under my chin, every week or two. Here is how it looks today.
proxy.php

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

i had this one, but i don't use it much now that i have decided to do the handlebar, with no trimming at all, and shaving the rest. however; i did use it yesterday to adjust the sideburns.
when i was doing the beard i could look pretty solid even set on 7 or so trimmed against the grain. it can make a big difference if you trim against the grain... which will make it shorters and be more the length you set it on, or with the grain that get the hairs that are growing out at odd angles but actually leaves the beard much longer.

here is a link to the multigroom... i got mine from Costco several years ago and liked it fine. i think the beard attachment goes from 1mm - 18mm with stops at every mm, unlike common hair trimmers.

Buy the Norelco Norelco Multigroom 7100 Grooming kit, Series 7000 QG3384/42 Grooming kit, Series 7000

I use a Hair Trimming Set. Not sure what brand off the top of my head. I generally use the same technique as Lightcs1776, the #2 head on general beard and #1 on neck. As far as when to trim, I try to never trim my beard until my Auto-Beard-Trimmer alarm starts whining a high pitched scream. Then I give it about a week and trim the night before seeing my girlfriend again.

Welcome the the bearded side of the forum!:thumbup1:

I find the combs on most trimmers to be to short for my taste at, least for the main part of my beard. Hair trimmers are better, but I really scissors. I do think you should get some sort of trimmer though, they are great for eyebrows, mustaches, ear hair and cleaning up lines now and then. They do also work well for shorter beard styles, and as noted above trimming WTG will leave a longer beard than ATG.

As far as how often I trim. During the winter I barely trim at all, just keep the stache out of the mouth and a little trimming if things start to look uneven. During the summer I'm constantly trimming, but usually just a few quick clips not a full trim. Just slowly whittling it down.

Scissors aren't as scary as they first seem you just have to know how to use them. Don't pull the hair like you would for a haircut. Just comb it out then, cut off the stragglers that stick out. Don't cut into the bulk of the beard, just the stragglers. Then comb it out again if if you want to go shorter do it again. This can also be done with a clipper without the guard.

One of the biggest thing is knowing what you want before starting to trim. I suggest watching some Youtube videos on trimming and find some one who has a beard similar to what you want. Good luck! Just remember to go slow and if you screw up, you can always trim it down to an even length without scraping the whole thing and it will grow back.

Thanks, Troy. I hadn't had a beard since my 24 year old was an infant. I started one as soon as I retired from the Army National Guard.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I've had mine about as long, but I started mine after I graduated from High School. It was pretty patchy and sad back then, but I grew it anyway.

Thank you for your input. I went and bought a Philips trimmer (model BT7220 in Europe). I started out at the highest setting (10mm) and gradually worked my way down to 7mm, which turned out to be just fine. I'm very satisfied with the result, it looks a little less "savage" now. The only downside - my girlfriend just told me, that she actually preferred the savage look. So, guess I'll have to come up with a compromise :)

Congrats on a successful first trim!

If your looking for a beard style that rides the line between savage and refined. Perhaps a Ducktail is the style for you. It's the style I like to wear in the summer. You keep the cheek lines low and the Stache and sideburns tidy, trim out around the soul patch, but keep the stache connected. Let the chin grow longer and trim it to a point or a rounded point.

Here is a pic of mine.
DSCF0217.JPG

I use a Norelco One Blade on mine, it seems to work the best. I use the middle guide that they gave me. Its a #3, I think. I trim my beard every other week. Basically, when it starts to itch and I look like Grizzly Adams, I trim it.

Norelco/Phillips makes good trimmers, charge lasts a long time. You can freehand to get outliers or put a spacer and dial in the desired length. For the price you can't beat these.
I had stubble length for years (due to work) and this trimmer was fantastic. Then started growing beards and still used it to do edges.

I haven’t had a full beard in over 10 years. Still have a mustache and goatee. I probably trim it every 6-8 weeks or so with scissors now. Back when I had a full beard I would trim it when I could fold it and touch my nose with it using electric trimmers but never had much luck with the longevity of the trimmers. They’d only last 18-24 months before they stopped working

Top Bottom