What's new

Groomsmen shave pack - ideas?

Hey gents,

I'm getting hitched next year, and among all the other planning things started thinking recently about what gifts to get my groomsmen and best man. Flipping through my fiance's wedding magazines (um, it was the only bathroom reading available at the time?:redface:) I see the standard fare, the cigar holders, the personalized flasks, etc.

I was thinking, instead of doing the same old same old, I could possibly put together something that would nudge the evolution of my groomsmen from the dark side of Mach3s and electric razors.

Problem is, the budget is kinda limited. I'm thinking of less than $75/pp, $50 if possible. I'm not cheap, its just I have lots of money in other things, like the Bora Bora honeymoon I just booked.

Any suggestions on what you would put together? I've got several months to actually purchase these things, but thought I'd let some ideas percolate....

I'm thinking as complete a starter pack as possible (for the complete newbie w/o a brush), with goods that will assure the conversion (lest my money be waste).

This might also be seen as a "I'm a complete newbie to this site, convince me to join your ranks of shaving eliteness for as little dough as possible" pack.

Let me see:
An SR204 Super Badger $40
A Classic long handle Double Edge chrome razor #23C $24
And Taylors Avocado shaving cream 2.6oz tube $10.50

$74.50 and these guys will love you!!
Might even throw in a 10 pack of Merkur Blades $4.25 too... :001_rolle

Added:
I bet Charles at QED would cut you some slack on a quantity buy...

Jeftichew,

I like your thinking...what Tux am I to wear? Ron's ideas are magnico, but a quick question. Do you live in an area where you could pick up items and eliminate the shipping costs? That might leave enough cash leftover to include the Clubman Nick Relief!

Randy

You might even wish to buy yourself such a kit. After all, what else is there to do on Bora Bora other than shave? :confused:

Ron, thanks so much for your suggestion. The more I think about it, the better an idea this sounds :) I could give it to them when we get fitted for tuxes or something, giving them a couple weeks to use it and be "perfectly shaven" (as opposed to stubbly, or bloodied if I gave it to them just before) for the big day. The fiance even thinks its cool.

I'll try emailing Charles closer to the purchase to see if he can offer a bulk discount. It would be for 4 kits + some extras (my brother was converted last month, and I'd do some upgrading for him). I might have to downgrade the brush to the SR-120. Totally bad idea?

As for things to be doing on my honeymoon, shaving won't be the LAST thing on my mind (maybe I might have some use for a B&B travel brush), but unfortunately its not gonna be at the top of the list :wink::biggrin::001_wub:

Randy, I live in th Bay Area, and as far as I can tell, all the shops around here that carry this stuff have prices that far surpass online ordering.

I was looking at pics of the razors suggested on QEDusa, and thought... how cool would it be to do some engraving on the very top of the razor, on that polished curved part? Maybe their first name or something?

Tacky?

Doable?

I think taking the gents out for a gentlemens straight razor shave either the day of the wedding or just before your bachelor party would be a great idea. Of course you have to find a barber that would be willing to do a straight razor shave.

I would definately go with a DE razor and some nice shave cream/soap as opposed to a Mach 3 and an aerosol, but I would definately go with a brush of some kind.

Good luck!

Thanks Art!

How much are straight razor shaves going for? The other thing is that I have no idea how to find a reputable barber known for straight razor shaving. I've heard stories about people being butchered at places that supposedly specialize in the straight shave at the hands of an inexperienced person, and kinda fear going to someone who will answer my call, say they do do shaves, and then bust out the straight after not having used it on a client for 5-10 years.

I haven't really looked into it around here (SF Bay Area).

I THINK we are doing the Vegas bachelor route, and thought for a second that maybe going to the T&H store for shaves like you suggested would be cool, but forking over $65/pp in addition to a kit is a little beyond my budget I think.:frown:

PS, what is awesome is that the T&H site actually mentions bachelor parties. I'll have to see if they do any specials.

For more information on groom's shave and champagne events, bachelor parties and private functions please call the Barber Shop.

If choosing between the 2 the shave pack is a great idea. I don't think anyone doesn't wish they knew about this way of shaving sooner.

As for Vegas, instead of paying for everyone to get a straight shave at T & H, maybe mention it and see how many are interested. I would think they would all want to since you voiced interest and it would be a bonding experience. This way they would pay for themselves...hell, they would probably all pitch in and take care of you. Just a thought...

I don't know of anywhere in the Bay Area that gives straight shaves, my guess would be to talk to the concierge at some of the nicer hotels in SF and they might be able to point you in the right direction. (Should you decide to do it say the day of the wedding...depending of course if time and location works)

Jeftichew said:
...SNIP...
I might have to downgrade the brush to the SR-120. Totally bad idea?
Jeftichew,
"It's easy to spend someone else's money." BUT, for $8 per or $32 total, I think you are losing a great deal more in value and utility. We're talking super vs. pure. That's a big difference to this (ancient) kid. Hell, that's probably not even the drink bill for you and the Mrs. Jeftichew to Be at a Bora Bora wild pig roast party. Then again, you'll probably wish to have them fancy gift wrapped, etc, etc...
You live only once and (hopefully) marry just once to live. Go for the gusto!

boboakalfb said:
As for Vegas, instead of paying for everyone to get a straight shave at T & H, maybe mention it and see how many are interested. I would think they would all want to since you voiced interest and it would be a bonding experience. This way they would pay for themselves...hell, they would probably all pitch in and take care of you. Just a thought...

I like that idea too, then you could save your money up to give the guys a thank you gift as the shave packs. See if you can get samples from the 3 T's to include. I would also go with as best badger brush you could afford.

Knowing T&H customer service, if you contacted them and mentioned your shave pack gift set idea, they would probably send you enough samples to include in each. That could be a second cream for them to try.

Great thoughts guys. I'll look into propositioning T&H for samples (maybe as part of having them convince me to do a bachelor weekend thing there rather than AoS at Mandalay Bay... hehe manipulative.). And razor for the Mrs. Jeftichew.. thats a good idea too...

Jeftichew said:
Great thoughts guys. I'll look into propositioning T&H for samples (maybe as part of having them convince me to do a bachelor weekend thing there rather than AoS at Mandalay Bay... hehe manipulative.). And razor for the Mrs. Jeftichew.. thats a good idea too...

While you are at it, here is the T & H rep's email address. She has been extremely helpfull to me in locating both T & H products AND barbers that do straight razor shaves (not in a T & H owned store) and also carry their product line.

[email protected]

I'm sure she can help line you up for something nice!! Make sure to tell her I refered you.

Top Bottom