What's new

Grooming Lounge Vs. The Art of Shaving

So I'm considering dropping some money on a shave kit with everything I need included. I've never used a single AOS product. I have used the GL products before and liked them. But my question is, when considering both price and performance, which of these two kits would you be more inclined to purchase?

Grooming Lounge "The Greatest Shave Ever" Kit

http://www.groominglounge.com/groom...oming-lounge-the-greatest-shave-ever-kit.html

or

The Art of Shaving "The Four Elements of The Perfect Shave" Kit

http://www.theartofshaving.com/on/d...0858&start=3&cgid=kits-and-gifts-shaving-kits

I`d suggest putting your own together from one of the vendors here or the fleabay. You`ll get better prices and better gear.

Last edited:
I`d suggest outting your own together from one of the vendors here or the fleabay. You`ll get better prices and better gear.

+1

You can easily create/customize a superior kit at a significantly lower cost. As for your two considerations, it would not be fair for me to recommend one over the other as I have not used any of the Grooming Lounge products. I do really enjoy most AoS software specifically their cream, soap, and to some extent, their balm.

The brush in the AoS kit is not that great. Best to buy something like a Vulfix.

I'm not a big fan of kits because I'm not sure everything in there is useful. For example, the pre-shave oil in the AoS kit would be of no use to me. I already use coconut oil during my shower so that does the job of the pre-shave oil.

So I would not recommend a kit. Better to just buy the products you need, and by going with different brands you can get better quality for less money.

I was gifted an AOS kit and my first wet shave experience involved my Fusion. I think the kit is great if it's a gift and it gets you into wet shaving, but you will do much better with the vendors here. I do love the AOS creams, though.

So I'm considering dropping some money on a shave kit with everything I need included. I've never used a single AOS product. I have used the GL products before and liked them. But my question is, when considering both price and performance, which of these two kits would you be more inclined to purchase?

Grooming Lounge "The Greatest Shave Ever" Kit

http://www.groominglounge.com/groom...oming-lounge-the-greatest-shave-ever-kit.html

or

The Art of Shaving "The Four Elements of The Perfect Shave" Kit

http://www.theartofshaving.com/on/d...0858&start=3&cgid=kits-and-gifts-shaving-kits

$71 for:
The Greatest Shave Ever Kit includes full sizes of:
• Grooming Lounge Mug Cleaner Face Wash 5 oz.
• Grooming Lounge Beard Master Shave Oil 1 oz.
• Grooming Lounge Beard Destroyer Shave Cream 5 oz.
• Grooming Lounge Best For Last Aftershave 5 oz.

Or $115 for what effectively replaces the face wash with a $20 brush?

Just say no.

IMHO, shave oil is not needed.
There is nothing special in the face wash... just use a good soap and exfoliating cloth.
There is definitely nothing special about "Grooming Lounge" brand cream or aftershave.
AoS fragrances used to be highly thought of, but opinions on their soaps has fallen since they have reformulated the line.

Call the guys at West Coast Shaving, let them know what you're looking at, ask their advice, and they can put a good package together for you at a fair price.
It might be $71 or more, depending on what brush you select, but they can definitely put together a set with a good quality brush at under $115.

In answer to the original question I would opt for the AOS set. Their software products have a good reputation and I'm sure the included brush will be of reasonable quality. I don't use AOS stuff but I do intend to try the Ocean Kelp cream soon.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer my question. So the consensus seems to be that the kits are more filler than anything. I do want to try the AOS Ocean Kelp Shave Cream. So maybe I'll just pick that up as a standalone product and then search for a brush and a balm or lotion separately. Thanks again!

I`d suggest putting your own together from one of the vendors here or the fleabay. You`ll get better prices and better gear.

Exactly what I'd say!

Pick up a Semogue 620(awesome boar), Tabac Soap or cream, Aubrey Organics City Rhythms After Shave, Nivea After Shave Balm, and maybe a stick of RazoRock Alum. All this might cost close to $80 or less and it's a much better deal than either of the two options you mentioned. Of course YMMV, but I'd choose this combo any day over AoS & TGL.

I was gifted an AOS kit and my first wet shave experience involved my Fusion. I think the kit is great if it's a gift and it gets you into wet shaving, but you will do much better with the vendors here. I do love the AOS creams, though.

+1 I get the AoS kits for 20 bucks at the PX as gifts to convert folks, but wouldn't use it personally. I love AoS creams, but would much recommend piecing a kit together to suit your preferences

You are definitely better off listening to these guys and build your own kit. The stuff in the grooming lounge kit is subpar in my experience with the aftershave being the only thing I slightly liked. You can definitely do better than either of those kits for less money.

Top Bottom