Grooming Dept's Newest Soaps, Bases, and Releases

Discussion in 'Shaving Soaps' started by Chan Eil Whiskers, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Chan Eil Whiskers

Chan Eil Whiskers Contributor

[​IMG]

2. 4 here
    including fl which I'll use tomorrow

3. Looks like a few new re-release GD soaps are now available on WCS .

4. NYChypre is a favorite. Beautifully executed.

2EC9DED6-4E59-4CFD-96C2-0BB549634901.jpeg

5. Chan Eil Whiskers

The one I wanted to grab is sold out. Valencia. Man, is that a nice scent.

Happy shaves,

Jim

6. Chan Eil Whiskers

Within a short time after I posted this, a generous member offered to send me an unused tub of Valencia. He had more than he needed. Of course I took him up on it.

How cool is that!

Happy shaves,

Jim

7. very cool

8. evnpar

evnpar Contributor

Now I don't feel so bad knowing there is someone else with one more GD soap than I have.

9. Two more on the way from WCS. We need to start an addiction support group.

10. mrlandpirate

mrlandpirate Contributor

This is it , we fully support your addition :em2300:

11. Love the alighteration. LOL

12. Rudy Vey

Rudy Vey Vendor Contributor

So, I got two of the vegan soaps from Westcoast Shaving today. I was wondering what was rattling in the box, so I did open it asap. Here is what I found. The Basique had a shrunken puck in it, that weighed in at 3.75 oz. The other soap looked like it was filled a bit extra with a spoon or so, this one weighs about 4.5 oz. Try them in the next two days.

Attached Files:

13. Chan Eil Whiskers

The amount is somewhat inconsistent in my experience.

Quality, too, is somewhat inconsistent in my experience; all are excellent; some, even better.

Happy shaves,

Jim

14. I wanna say those are old supply, but I could be wrong. It’s his old vegan formula, and the Voyage was his old label. So the shrinkage isn’t a surprise if it was from old stock.

15. ackvil

ackvil Moderator

His soaps as well as other soft soaps do not travel well in hot weather.

16. Two observations:
    1. I don't know what the old formula was, but I got a jar of Voyage in the recent drop, and the same ingredients are listed in the same order on my jar as on the current product page.
    2. The top of the soap in my jar has also pulled away from the edges, but only slightly, and in my case the soap remains firmly affixed in the jar. More importantly perhaps, I like the soap.
    And @Rudy Vey ... Good luck Rudy. It's not a job; it's an adventure.

17. WCS recently had a few older Vegan soaps pop up on their product page last week. These were presumable older stock as many of them haven't been available in a long time. As well the original Voyage was available during this random drop on WCS. That voyage had the original label, from the original release some months ago. This new release on the GD website was the newer Janus Vegan base which is different from his original vegan formula.

The soap will shrink as it loses water, that’s normal with any soap. All my GDs have pulled away (as long as they were a harder soap).

18. I have had a few scents from Stirling that I purchased and have used monthly going on 2+ yrs now and they haven't shrank at all... The only soaps I've seen in my somewhat short time, 2.5 yrs, here on B&B is Grooming Dept. soaps and no others so I'd say this is a GD thing only!!

19. It probably because he doesn't let his soaps cure properly before shipping them out.

On at least 2 well-documented occasions, he shipped out runny/soupy soaps, that when opened, spilled out and hit customers floors.