What's new

Grooming Dept. Wonderland Review

Thanks to a trade, I was finally able to experience Grooming Dept. Wonderland. I had been intrigued by the scent notes when it released, but I was only committed to buying a single tub so I chose Angel. The Wonderland arrived in the mail on Friday, and I decided to give it a go yesterday before settling in for some football.

Here was my setup:

Brush: The Holy Black True Black Synthetic
Soap: Grooming Dept. Wonderland – Cedarwood, Musk, Leather, Guiacwood, Hay, Civet, Castoreum, Sandalwood
Razor: Doc Holliday – Asylum RX (Feather Pro Guard blade)

SOTD 20180122.PNG

I must say, I was a little apprehensive, not knowing how the scents would come together. And because the strength of scent is pretty high, 4/5 out of the tub, if you don’t like a GD scent you will not be able to just ignore it or shave through it. Upon first sniff, I could recognize the hay and wood scents, and they actually seemed to be ok. Once I started to lather, they started to come together with the animal scents of musk, civet, and castoreum. On the face, the scent blossomed even more, and the leather became an anchor for everything else. Apparently this scent was based on Dzing! by L`Artisan Parfumeur, which is meant to evoke the aromas of the circus. I would say this soap scent puts me firmly in mind of the stables and tack room when I used to ride horses as a teenager. It was very masculine and nostalgic, and it started hitting all the right happy buttons in my brain the more I smelled it.

This soap uses GD’s beef tallow base, and it lathers and performs like a dream. I loaded my slightly wet synthetic for about 30 seconds, and lathered in a bowl with a couple teaspoons of water. This soap can take a good deal of water, and the resulting lather is thick without being sticky, almost gel-like, and super slick! I never wanted to drip, even though it goes on so wet. I did N-S, S-N, and some XTG touch up passes with the RX, and there was almost no effort required to get the resulting BBS shave. Touch ups could be done with water only, but the lather and scent were so phenomenal I could not resist any excuse to reapply the lather to my face.

As with my previous tryout of a Grooming Dept soap, I was able to use just the lather for my post shave, and skipped any balms or splashes. There was no irritation, and the lather was very moisturizing for my skin. Even better, the scent lingered for almost 4 hours on my skin. Grooming Dept. and Wild West Shaving Co. are the only soaps that I can skip aftershave when I use them, and this soap earns a solid spot in Tier 1 Box 1 of the @cvargo soap ranking chart:

Chad Tier system soap.jpg

In all, Grooming Dept. Wonderland is a terrific soap in a fantastic scent. I can see it being a bit polarizing, of course, but it makes my top 5 soap scents of all time. I wasn’t expecting to enjoy it so much, and I was surprised to find that it fits almost perfectly with some of my favorite Cowboy themed scents. In fact, it would have been a strong contender in @-EdG 's original Cowboy Soap Shootout.

Thanks to a trade, I was finally able to experience Grooming Dept. Wonderland. I had been intrigued by the scent notes when it released, but I was only committed to buying a single tub so I chose Angel. The Wonderland arrived in the mail on Friday, and I decided to give it a go yesterday before settling in for some football.

Here was my setup:

Brush: The Holy Black True Black Synthetic
Soap: Grooming Dept. Wonderland – Cedarwood, Musk, Leather, Guiacwood, Hay, Civet, Castoreum, Sandalwood
Razor: Doc Holliday – Asylum RX (Feather Pro Guard blade)

I must say, I was a little apprehensive, not knowing how the scents would come together. And because the strength of scent is pretty high, 4/5 out of the tub, if you don’t like a GD scent you will not be able to just ignore it or shave through it. Upon first sniff, I could recognize the hay and wood scents, and they actually seemed to be ok. Once I started to lather, they started to come together with the animal scents of musk, civet, and castoreum. On the face, the scent blossomed even more, and the leather became an anchor for everything else. Apparently this scent was based on Dzing! by L`Artisan Parfumeur, which is meant to evoke the aromas of the circus. I would say this soap scent puts me firmly in mind of the stables and tack room when I used to ride horses as a teenager. It was very masculine and nostalgic, and it started hitting all the right happy buttons in my brain the more I smelled it.

This soap uses GD’s beef tallow base, and it lathers and performs like a dream. I loaded my slightly wet synthetic for about 30 seconds, and lathered in a bowl with a couple teaspoons of water. This soap can take a good deal of water, and the resulting lather is thick without being sticky, almost gel-like, and super slick! I never wanted to drip, even though it goes on so wet. I did N-S, S-N, and some XTG touch up passes with the RX, and there was almost no effort required to get the resulting BBS shave. Touch ups could be done with water only, but the lather and scent were so phenomenal I could not resist any excuse to reapply the lather to my face.

As with my previous tryout of a Grooming Dept soap, I was able to use just the lather for my post shave, and skipped any balms or splashes. There was no irritation, and the lather was very moisturizing for my skin. Even better, the scent lingered for almost 4 hours on my skin. Grooming Dept. and Wild West Shaving Co. are the only soaps that I can skip aftershave when I use them, and this soap earns a solid spot in Tier 1 Box 1 of the @cvargo soap ranking chart:

View attachment 854555

In all, Grooming Dept. Wonderland is a terrific soap in a fantastic scent. I can see it being a bit polarizing, of course, but it makes my top 5 soap scents of all time. I wasn’t expecting to enjoy it so much, and I was surprised to find that it fits almost perfectly with some of my favorite Cowboy themed scents. In fact, it would have been a strong contender in @-EdG 's original Cowboy Soap Shootout.

Great review and out of my last purchase from GD, I rank Angel the best over any of his soaps. Out of the 3 beef tallow soaps that I bought, Wonderland comes in 1st, Magnolia&Oud 2nd and Flight 3rd. I currently own all of his duck fat soaps and almost all of his vegan soaps. Angel is the new lamb tallow and I think it bests his Mallard soap as far as lather quality.
Which blade are you using with your Rx? I just got some Schick Proline blades from Bullgoose and the Shave with my Rx was extremely smooth and BBS after 2.5 passes with no issues. I had been using a Feather Guard blade but the Proline is even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which blade are you using with your Rx? I just got some Schick Proline blades from Bullgoose and the Shave with my Rx was extremely smooth and BBS after 2.5 passes with no issues. I had been using a Feather Guard blade but the Proline is even better.

I am using the Feather Pro Guard. I will probably pick up some Prolines from tryablade to see how they compare.

I am using the Feather Pro Guard. I will probably pick up some Prolines from tryablade to see how they compare.

I really like using the Feather Pro Guard in the Rx and had been using them exclusively as it takes the aggressiveness down with that blade. I think the Proline is a better blade and just as smooth as the Rx with a bit more sharpness. I was definitely impressed after my shave Saturday and I happened to use GD Magnolia and Oud for the first time. Outstanding shave!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great review! I like Wonderland quite a bit as well. I'm a little neutral on the scent, but maybe I need to spend a little more time with it. It is a great performer. Still like to follow it up with an AS as my skin feels a bit tight if I don't. It does provide a really nice tactile feel by the soap alone though.

Great review! I like Wonderland quite a bit as well. I'm a little neutral on the scent, but maybe I need to spend a little more time with it. It is a great performer. Still like to follow it up with an AS as my skin feels a bit tight if I don't. It does provide a really nice tactile feel by the soap alone though.

Thanks! I have to say, this is the first time I ever got such a vivid image from a soap scent. I would swear I was saddling a horse when this stuff was filling my nostrils. It was so visceral. And of course I thought of how it will pair with some of my Cowboy aftershaves and colognes!

Great review, Jim. I didn't know the scent was modeled after Dzing! I should have jumped on this soap as I love that fragrance.

Top Bottom