What's new

Grooming Dept. ---- what's up ?

Okay Gents ..... so I've been reading on several threads (especially "best of the best") about how Grooming Dept. soaps are particularly revered by many of my B&B friends. Yet, much to my dismay, whenever I visit their website, everything seems to be "sold out." What's the story ? Are they still in business ? And if so, if it's a "one man operation" which cannot keep up with the demand, how good could their business model actually be ? Is this truly a reliable source for top shelf shaving soaps ? What do you all think ?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
upload_2018-12-28_15-17-35.gif

Uh Oh ..... I've seemed to open "a can of worms."
And, by the way Hannah's Dad .... is this a new avatar photo ?

Hannah's Dad

Uh Oh ..... I've seemed to open "a can of worms."
And, by the way Hannah's Dad .... is this a new avatar photo ?
Yes ... and yes, Adam. Watched North by Northwest after quite a few years. Swapped Sean Connery for Cary Grant. How he kept that suit and starched white shirt so clean through that whole movie is worthy of an avatar!

Hannah's Dad

Adam ... I’ll summarize the expected answers to your OP ... ‘GD soap is the second coming of artisanal soap but it’s he// trying to get your hands on some.’

Last edited:
Thank you, Adam! And to you and yours as well, my friend!

Just another example of why Badger & Blade is such a wonderful community ! This website is constantly showing itself to be a fine example of kindness, lucid gentle conversation, and proper manners, while allowing for the expression of intelligent ideas. Quite refreshingly different from the many audiophile and photography website communities that I often visit. It is an honor to be a B&B member !

Last edited:
Grooming Dept is basically a one man operation who's soaps were unobtainium for a long time. They've been periodically available in short spurts for the last couple of months. They are the best soaps I've ever used at this point.

Like in all products produced in small batches there are hardcore fans that check daily and buy away. You see that in all hobbies. Not a good or bad thing.... just is. You can join the love, hate the process or be indifferent. I choose the latter and save myself some hair which is becoming a rare commodity in itself.

Like in all products produced in small batches there are hardcore fans that check daily and buy away. You see that in all hobbies. Not a good or bad thing.... just is. You can join the love, hate the process or be indifferent. I choose the latter and save myself some hair which is becoming a rare commodity in itself.

Okay .... it is what it is. And with that being said, I guess that Grooming Dept. is a soap that I will never get to try. Too bad.
I am extremely happy with both the high quality and regular availability of my favorite Stirling and RazoRock soaps.

They have some in stock at West Coast Shaving. Haven't tried any myself. I imagine they act similar to most shaving soaps available now. Possibly marginally slicker or better post shave feel or some other shaving soap attribute that I am forgetting.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

With all due respect to the moderators ..... why was my thread moved to “Shopping and Deals ?” This thread definitely belongs in “Shaving Soaps” as I originally put it. There have been many threads discussing a particular brand of soap that remain in the more popular “Shaving Soaps” category and not pushed down into the less popular “Shopping and Deals” section. You are not being fair to my honest and objective query. Please move it back. Thanks.

Last edited:
Grooming Dept is basically a one man operation who's soaps were unobtainium for a long time. They've been periodically available in short spurts for the last couple of months.

+1

Haven’t tried any of his newer stuff, but his tallow soaps from the beginning of the year are definitely elite status for me.

He’s constantly in development, working on improving and expanding his product line. Sadly, there’s only so much an individual can do though.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
With all due respect to the moderators ..... why was my thread moved to “Shopping and Deals ?” This thread definitely belongs in “Shaving Soaps” as I originally put it. There have been many threads discussing a particular brand of soap that remain in the more popular “Shaving Soaps” category and not pushed down into the less popular “Shopping and Deals” section. You are not being fair to my honest and objective query. Please move it back. Thanks.
Your thread is asking questions about a soap vendor. The discussion is about the vendor.
Since it’s about buying products vs. discussing them, it belongs in Shopping & Deals.

There was a fairly long stretch when GD soaps were not available. I heard a rumor that Mohammed was doing some lab work to improve the formula. Then I heard that he had some health issues that kept him away for a while. I do not know the whole story. I do know that GD soaps are starting to show up again. I purchased a couple (Tao and Flight) during December. Hopefully, things will settle down and Mohammed will be back in full production.

Your thread is asking questions about a soap vendor. The discussion is about the vendor.
Since it’s about buying products vs. discussing them, it belongs in Shopping & Deals.

I respectfully disagree, but that's okay. I appreciate your candor and honest response. Once again, another reason why B&B is such a wonderful online community.
Thank you Jason Toothpick, and best wishes to you and your family for a happy healthy New Year.

...whenever I visit their website, everything seems to be "sold out." Is this truly a reliable source for top shelf shaving soaps ? What do you all think ?

Reliable, no. Top shelf shaving soaps yes. For many fans there's nothing better. You just need to enter a world of alternative thinking where "business model" is not a relevant concept. If you can get hold of the soaps themselves you will probably be well satisfied.

I can see the moderators' point of view here. There has been a flood of posts in the Shaving Soaps section discussing Mohammad's "business model" and those who are interested in discussing the soaps themselves have found this pretty tedious.

Last edited:
Reliable, no. Top shelf shaving soaps yes. For many fans there's nothing better. You just need to enter a world of alternative thinking where "business model" is not a relevant concept. If you can get hold of the soaps themselves you will probably be well satisfied.

I can see the moderators' point of view here. There has been a flood of posts in the Shaving Soaps section discussing Mohammad's "business model" and those who are interested in discussing the soaps themselves have found this pretty tedious.

Greatly appreciated and respectfully understood.
Thank you and Happy New Year.
And still loving Ray Brown on jazz bass !

Top Bottom