What's new

Grooming Dept scents?

One more suggestion, though unsolicited. If you have a good synthetic brush, you might want to start with it on the Kairos.
I do, I use synthetics always. I've read something about leaving the jar open the night before or something? Is there a lathering procedure with this base that's different than 'typical'?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I do, I use synthetics always. I've read something about leaving the jar open the night before or something? Is there a lathering procedure with this base that's different than 'typical'?
Not sure about leaving the jar open, but just load it as usual.

Maybe that was for leaving it open overnight after use if you're loading from the tub? I've seen that one recommended with GD soaps pretty often to make sure they dry completely... leaving it open upon first arrival might be for if there's an initial "funk" that comes with the soap, which I think probably wouldn't be needed for his newest bases (a couple older releases maybe).

Maybe that was for leaving it open overnight after use if you're loading from the tub? I've seen that one recommended with GD soaps pretty often to make sure they dry completely... leaving it open upon first arrival might be for if there's an initial "funk" that comes with the soap, which I think probably wouldn't be needed for his newest bases (a couple older releases maybe).
Perhaps that's it, thanks!

The base doesn't need any special lathering procedure- my advice is to not overload the product and be wasteful because it's such a great soap it doesn't make sense to throw any down the drain. One gentle squeeze of a soaking brush and 10-12 seconds loading is all you need-plenty of soap for 4 passes. It works well with badgers or synths, and of course the synthetic will get you "there" a little faster.

I’ve grown to really love GD soaps. Mo keeps things interesting.
IMG_0330.jpeg

Out of my three Kairos 2023 that I have, Luxor is my favorite. Then it's a toss-up between L'avventura and Mumtaz. Of course as with many things for me, tomorrow I may change my mind and switch out my favorite with one of the other two. Luxor has a slightly sweet scent with a bit of fruit. Don't think this as a sweet gourmand sent though. It's something you have to really sniff and think about what you're picking up. L'avventura to me has just a slight lavender scent that you can pickup. For me it's just the right amount as lavender is one of my least like notes. If you look at the scent notes for Mumtaz, you'll see there's a lot going on. I don't pickup any of the citrus notes. In fact, about the only note I pickup is a bit of leather. I'm finding that Mumtaz is very well blended with all the notes that create a single, harmonious scent that should be pleasing to most guys.

Mumtaz is my first GD soap. My household is scent neutral. i’m very scent-sensitive.

While a very nice scent, I found the Mumtaz aroma hung around longer than i felt comfortable. it became more of a distraction than something pleasant.

I chatted with Mo about it and he suggested I let the tub sit open for a week or two to help diminish the scent more. i’m doing that and will see how it goes.

Maybe i’ll buy the Pura or whatever low/no scent variety he offers once i’m done with my current stock.

Evaluating scents is really tough when you can’t smell in person and despite being 2 hours and many tolls away from Pasteur’s.

I am a die hard GD fan. I am one year into using a DE and I have to say that I think it’s the best I have come across.
I love all of their scents and even go back to places like Murphy & McNeil to get some of the older bases with different scents. I recently picked up Citrix and Valencia for the spring and summer. Amazing scents and performance.

I saw a comment on social media urging GD to make stronger scents. Maybe that person should buy Mumtaz. :001_smile The GD soaps i have aren't high octane scents- some may approach that high scent strength but overall they're very well done and soothing scents like a shave soap should be- all of mine are medium strength (Oud Osmanthus is the one that is closest to high scent strength)

My experience with many soaps is they change with use. Swirling a wet brush around and introducing some moisture and air to the product seems to change things. A few months ago i purchased a tub of B&M Fougere Classique. I was repulsed by it getting wiffs off the new tub- came close to retching. Loading from the tub and using the soap totally changed things. Leaving the puck to air out is probably not enough.

to each their own. Like I previously said, I don't employ a lot of scent in my life. Of the scents I do use, they're brief and don't overstay their welcome, nor are they expected to compensate for an undesirable smell.

It's a quality scent. Just not to my tastes for lingering.

Last edited:
I am a die hard GD fan. I am one year into using a DE and I have to say that I think it’s the best I have come across.
I love all of their scents and even go back to places like Murphy & McNeil to get some of the older bases with different scents. I recently picked up Citrix and Valencia for the spring and summer. Amazing scents and performance.

I only have GD soaps pre-Kairos, Citric and Valencia are two of my favorites. These two soaps offer the most delightful citrus fragrances I have ever encountered. I have gotten ones I didn't like Molten and Mallard Lavender.

I only have GD soaps pre-Kairos, Citric and Valencia are two of my favorites. These two soaps offer the most delightful citrus fragrances I have ever encountered. I have gotten ones I didn't like Molten and Mallard Lavender.
Thanks for the feedback. I have yet to use either but will this week. I love a good citrus and they both smell amazing. I am delaying using any new soap as I have a new (to me) Lupo.95, so I want to keep using my daily driver for a week ( GD Chypre d’annanas)

despite it being a Kairos base, i ordered the Pura since the Mumtaz needs to air out for a while. it too is too pungent for my liking though the kairos se 2023 base performance is exceptional. it’ll probably sit in my shed for a few months :/

Top Bottom