What's new

Grooming Dept mallardless Mallard drop incoming

Grooming Dept. - Soap (Mallard 2023 base) Its just me, but I "kinda" miss the Mallard label's. However, like many things, its not the container that's important. Its whats inside that's important. Mallard never disappoints! Always provides a superb shaving experience. Bowl lathered. :)
I agree and for me it's usually the label that initially draws me in so I'll look further into its description.

The funny thing about the duck labels is you know you're a GD fan when you know which duck is which scent. I don't know what his motivation is to tie a particular duck graphic to a scent or if it's just a randomly chosen duck pick. Mo's labels are always suggestive of the scent, especially by their coloration. It seems Mo's thoughts and emotions go into the labeling whereas other artisans hire an artist that is totally disconnected from the product.

FWIW - I work for a label manufacturer.

Consequently, I've discussed labels with Mo. I think his designs are in alignment with his branding in a minimalist, modern way. I do think the label around the jar could be shorter to make it easier to apply consistently by hand. We discussed other fancy label materials (metallics, glitter, foils), but they're more expensive. It seems he doesn't have to rely on the label to generate sales or necessarily compete on the shelf.

Though I do like some of Zingari Man's labels where they will indicate the scent profile with three primary descriptors. It makes it easy to identify what it is for an end consumer.

Soap and Lavender arrived today, I have three of the four mallard base releases now. There's some variance between them, at least in my particular examples.

• Laundry III is the firmest of the mallard bunch. I loaded directly from the jar and used 1g.
  • Visage is sooooft. I loaded from the jar and used 4g. Oops. Two days later it's still not completely dried out. I will probably be bowl loading that in the future.
  • Soap feels more like Visage than Laundry III when I poke at it. I'll be trying it in a few days.
  • Lavender is way firmer than any of these, it's 2023 KairosSE base is much much firmer
The Visage shave was fantastic, I mean seriously. The hydrated slickness of the post shave is as enjoyable as the KairosSE soaps to me. Visage has a woody scent that I can't pin down but it's VERY familiar. It triggers childhood memories of being in my dad's woodworking shop for some reason. I like this scent, in fact I enjoyed everything about this soap!

I can't wait for it to dry out. :)

Last edited:
I wanted to buy a couple of tubs of the Mallard base "Soap" yesterday, but unfotunately - this was sold out, so I asked Mo if there were any intentions of making or releasing more of this varient and this was his response.

"Apologies, but Soap is currently out of stock and there are no intentions to produce it again. However, in a couple of months, a similar fragrance variation will be reintroduced in a different soap named Iris."

I'm looking forward to this, if it's anything like the the LJdeJ Oris root.

Oh no, I was about to greedily re-order a second set! I guess I have something to look forward to with Iris, just hope he doesn’t screw up the scent strength like Laundry III.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Soap and Lavender arrived today, I have three of the four mallard base releases now. There's some variance between them, at least in my particular examples.

• Laundry III is the firmest of the mallard bunch. I loaded directly from the jar and used 1g.
  • Visage is sooooft. I loaded from the jar and used 4g. Oops. Two days later it's still not completely dried out. I will probably be bowl loading that in the future.
  • Soap feels more like Visage than Laundry III when I poke at it. I'll be trying it in a few days.
  • Lavender is way firmer than any of these, it's 2023 KairosSE base is much much firmer
The Visage shave was fantastic, I mean seriously. The hydrated slickness of the post shave is as enjoyable as the KairosSE soaps to me. Visage has a woody scent that I can't pin down but it's VERY familiar. It triggers childhood memories of being in my dad's woodworking shop for some reason. I like this scent, in fact I enjoyed everything about this soap!

I can't wait for it to dry out. :)
Mo sent me a sample of Visage today, along with my Lavender Kairos SE and Ousia II splash.

Visage is a mysterious, pleasant woody scent. I guess I have to shave with it, possibly opening another can of worms for me with this mallard base. It better not be as good as Kairos SE, or I’m going to blame somebody in this room.
1687552855532.gif

Hannah's Dad

Fantastic shave this morning with the Visage. Skin feels wonderful. Very slick lather, but not quite as ‘sticky’ as the Kairos lather — more whipped cream than yogurt, if that makes sense. But I enjoyed it so much, including the scent, that I just ordered the set. It really is a soft base so puck loading requires a synthetic, IMHO.
IMG_3239.jpeg

Hannah's Dad

This iteration of mallard is just as good as KSE.
I give a slight edge to KSE in creating the lather; the mallard lather seems to dissipate on my face just a bit quicker than with Kairos. But the post-shave is spectacular with both and I can’t discern a winner. The scent of Visage is still lingering hours after. It’s a hauntingly pleasing scent and probably one of Mo’s safest scents for the first-time buyer.

I’ve got Omnibus soaps that are going to go stale just sitting untouched. I just can’t justify using any other soap than Grooming Dept right now. My face is so happy and healthy.

I give a slight edge to KSE in creating the lather; the mallard lather seems to dissipate on my face just a bit quicker than with Kairos. But the post-shave is spectacular with both and I can’t discern a winner. The scent of Visage is still lingering hours after. It’s a hauntingly pleasing scent and probably one of Mo’s safest scents for the first-time buyer.

I’ve got Omnibus soaps that are going to go stale just sitting untouched. I just can’t justify using any other soap than Grooming Dept right now. My face is so happy and healthy.
"Soap" is excellent. Visage is on the way. Duck fat makes great Duck Soup. I mean soap. Hail, hail Freedonia!
1687914431641.png

good evening all! After a long week of work, I came home to my order of Visage. It made it to my house in two days! I absolutely love the scent!
Tomorrow is a very big client meeting so I will be using it as my confidence booster!
I have to say that his stuff is crazy good!

One last question I was offered “soap” from a friend. Is it that good? I like more complex stuff.

Soap is complex to an extent. There's a clean white floral in the middle but the oris butter is up front. It reminds me of a pair of Allen Edmonds slip-on suede loafers- light, crisp, and fresh.

Soap is complex to an extent. There's a clean white floral in the middle but the oris butter is up front. It reminds me of a pair of Allen Edmonds slip-on suede loafers- light, crisp, and fresh.
Now that is a great description! Thank you sir! I know that scent well.

Top Bottom