What's new

Grooming Dept Kairos SE 2023 review

You really can't go wrong with either formulation- both are incredible. I would buy according to the scent profile you like and don't worry too much about the base. I didn't buy anything from the drop before this because I don't like incense.

I am looking forward the availability of these in the EU, and I hope to get one once they become available, possibly around Christmas time, at the rate GD ships products to vendors.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
You're right except that the 2022 version didn't come with any matching aftershaves like the 2023 version.
1678400541857.gif

One thing about GD aftershaves, they're not like other aftershaves. You only use a few drops and apply it to damp hands and face. I started out using it like I normally would use an aftershave and found it to leave my skin kind of sticky. After figuring out the best way to use it, I think it's great.

You really can't go wrong with either formulation- both are incredible. I would buy according to the scent profile you like and don't worry too much about the base. I didn't buy anything from the drop before this because I don't like incense.
…can be tough to pick a scent though I find the scents don’t always match the profile as I would have thought. That is why GD Mallard is nice, the coconut rum and gelato… really perfect and spot on!

@Hannah's Dad I can confirm, what I got from Murphy and McNeil are 2023, arrived yesterday.

I think the TRC sells samples of GD soaps but every one I have was a blind purchase. I look at the first 3 or 4 scent notes on the GD website to help decide. Except for the mallards, because the graphics are all ducks, Mo's label designs also help quite a bit in determining the scent. The label designs are pretty modern and usually abstract but they give you a really good idea of what to expect of the scent. Unlike many other artisans that have head scratching labels and graphics, I think the GD labels are very much tied to the scents. Something to keep in mind when deciding- particularly the colors he uses on the labels- pay attention to them.

Hannah's Dad

…can be tough to pick a scent though I find the scents don’t always match the profile as I would have thought. That is why GD Mallard is nice, the coconut rum and gelato… really perfect and spot on!

@Hannah's Dad I can confirm, what I got from Murphy and McNeil are 2023, arrived yesterday.
Looking forward to your impressions!

I took some additional weights with my scale to determine the right amount of this soap to load- i found that about a 10 second load with a CH2 badger (rung out once) was enough for 3 solid passes without much waste and still felt luxurious. I sometimes like to load even longer to get even more luxury feel out of the soap, but ultimately find i'm spending more time dialing it in and them i'm left for 5 or 6 passes worth of soap that goes down the drain. About 10 seconds with that particular brush will pick up approx. 3 grams of product. I'm going to re-do this experiment with a synthetic knot next.

I took some additional weights with my scale to determine the right amount of this soap to load- i found that about a 10 second load with a CH2 badger (rung out once) was enough for 3 solid passes without much waste and still felt luxurious. I sometimes like to load even longer to get even more luxury feel out of the soap, but ultimately find i'm spending more time dialing it in and them i'm left for 5 or 6 passes worth of soap that goes down the drain. About 10 seconds with that particular brush will pick up approx. 3 grams of product. I'm going to re-do this experiment with a synthetic knot next.
Eesh. 3g of product seems like a lot of soap for a daily shave. Don't get me wrong, I love GD soaps....but that is not a lot of shaves per tub. Alas, life is short- enjoy the shaves. Curious to see the synthetic results. Thanks for posting.

Eesh. 3g of product seems like a lot of soap for a daily shave. Don't get me wrong, I love GD soaps....but that is not a lot of shaves per tub. Alas, life is short- enjoy the shaves. Curious to see the synthetic results. Thanks for posting.
I think if you bowl lather you can use 2g of product and have plenty for a good 2 pass shave and a bit more for touch ups- which is very reasonable daily amount and will prolong the lifespan of your tub to 60 shaves (assuming 4 oz of product)- this is about on par with most if not all artisan soaps. Bowl lathering is the answer to soap conservation and consistency in your lathers. I choose to do it this way because i don't care about conserving soap. More GD soaps are on the horizon and there is great enjoyment in using more product rather than less.

My guess is the synth will pick up less product or at least prevent me from reaching those absurd 4-5 gram amounts of product that i sometimes use.

I have only used the 2023 SE, Dan, so I can’t compare, although I have lots of experience with regular Kairos and other GD bases. I’ve written my thoughts about the soap in general, however, in case it is helpful.

Performance wise, the 2023 SE is excellent—perhaps the best post-shave I’ve experienced. I am using the preshave and aftershave as well, so it is difficult, however, to separate the effects of those products from the soap itself.

The soap also seems denser than earlier GD releases. Lathering needs less soap and more water. I hope that means the soap will last longer. I agree with your comments about some of the soaps not lasting long—such as the Mallard release.

Hannah's Dad

I have only used the 2023 SE, Dan, so I can’t compare, although I have lots of experience with regular Kairos and other GD bases. I’ve written my thoughts about the soap in general, however, in case it is helpful.

Performance wise, the 2023 SE is excellent—perhaps the best post-shave I’ve experienced. I am using the preshave and aftershave as well, so it is difficult, however, to separate the effects of those products from the soap itself.

The soap also seems denser than earlier GD releases. Lathering needs less soap and more water. I hope that means the soap will last longer. I agree with your comments about some of the soaps not lasting long—such as the Mallard release.
‘Denser‘ is a great word to describe the 2023 SE. Thanks, Trey.

Top Bottom