What's new

Grooming Department - Donkey Milk Soap

Finally used the Chypre Donkey Milk soap. It is great shave. The best post shave going around? Sorry I think Wholly Kaw Donkey is better. Still a quality soap. I smell a lot of pine in the scent, but my nose isn't the best. Glad I finally had a chance to try it.

Do test it like I do and see if you get different post shave results. Use something not all that impressive for a week straight (I usually use something like Tabac). Then use The Grooming Dept soap every day for a week, taking notes on how your skin feels after each shave as well as how it feels when you rinse in between passes. Once you've completed the week of shaves go back to your baseline soap (in my case Tabac) for another week of shaves then repeat the testing and note taking process with Wholly Kaw.

Both are outstanding tier one soaps but for me I noticed better post shave more quickly with Grooming Dept. It took me a couple extra days to get to the same point with Wholly Kaw proving to me that Grooming Dept had better post shave qualities. I'm not saying that both soaps won't get your skin to the same place with repeated shaves as they both will, just saying that I find Wholly Kaw to get me there a bit slower. I'd would happily use either of these soaps myself.

You just can't tell everything about a soap from one shave. For example, if I use Grooming Dept for three days then use something much more average I'll give the average soap a much higher rating than I should have since the residual slickness and moisturizing sticks around from the better soap for several more days. It's only when I start with a known baseline with both soaps that I can accurately compare one to another.

Feel free to give it a thorough test and report your results. The only part that sucks about it is that you have to use a lesser soap for the week prior to dry your skin back out.

Finally used the Chypre Donkey Milk soap. It is great shave. The best post shave going around? Sorry I think Wholly Kaw Donkey is better. Still a quality soap. I smell a lot of pine in the scent, but my nose isn't the best. Glad I finally had a chance to try it.

I agree with you on the Chypre but any of his other soaps have the best post shave on the market. Try one of his duck tallow or beef tallow soaps. I own about 10 tubs of Wholly Kaw w/Donkey Milk and love them but the 15 tubs of GD that I have are a slight step above. This was his first foray in to a Donkey Milk soap and it’s a Vegan base. I did not get the same performance from that one soap as I have from all of his others and I blamed it on the synthetic brush I used but I will revisit that one soon. Just my humble opinion though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the Grooming Dept post shave is very impressive, and the scent of Angel lingers for over 4 hours on my skin if I use nothing else. I still think Wild West Shaving Co. has the best post shave, as my skin feels even softer than it does after Grooming Dept, and I never feel tempted to reach for a splash.

I get a strong rubber smell from Flight off the puck, but that changes when lathered. Pretty subtle and I can make out the tomato leaf somewhat but it's not overpowering. Very nice scent, as is Angel and Wonderland. Will try Absinthe and Leather tomorrow.

Should've mentioned that when I knew the soap would arrive soon, I used Palmolive shave stick three shaves prior. This is a very similar the approach I used for Wholly Kaw donkey milk. But I will continue to experiment.

I also own a few Wholly Kaw and 8 GD soaps (on different bases). To be honest I love GD and think it is better than Wholly Kaw without donkey milk but the Wholly Kaw with donkey milk is still the best post shave soap I have used. Being second out of many is still impressive!

I also feel the Chypre is no different to the other GD vegan soaps. Will keep testing but don't notice a difference.

I detected a decided difference using Chypre - use distilled water if it matters. Not sure one shave does it with Grooming Dept though. Takes me a week of using to get unbelievable post shave skin conditioning. Wholly Kaw Donkey Milk may have positive impact sooner but it peaks lower as well. Both the top but my take is Grooming Dept best.

He has already done an excellent lime scent— Kölnisch. I’m on my second tub of it. It is excellent. It’s a very natural, earthy lime. I think a lot of people would like it.

Mohammad let me know he will reintroduce this one in late March/early April. Sign me up!

Mohammad let me know he will reintroduce this one in late March/early April. Sign me up!

Nice! It’s a good one. I think it will appeal broadly.

I also enjoyed Bonum Mane, another early scent. That one has a lemon meringue quality to it that I enjoyed.

Unfortunately, it is vegan. I’ve tried his vegans. They’re very good. But..My particular facial skin likes tallows and animal fats MUCH better!

Hi. I've tried Mo's vegan base. Would you say that his beef tallow base outperforms his vegan base? Cuz I probably will be trying that next until he releases more of his duck fat soaps. Thanks!

Hi. I've tried Mo's vegan base. Would you say that his beef tallow base outperforms his vegan base? Cuz I probably will be trying that next until he releases more of his duck fat soaps. Thanks!

The new beef tallow for me is slightly better and for me probably the very best base that he offers. I prefer it over the Mallard base as well.

The thing is that these soaps are already on such a high level performance wise that the improvements between bases aren't going to be night and day from one to another. They are all outstanding.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to purchase any of the Grooming Dept bases. They are all so good that I generally look for a scent that seems appealing to me and the base is an afterthought.

Have any of you tried the Wonderland soap? I had it in my cart, delayed, and then it was sold. Like a fool, I waited overnight.

Have any of you tried the Wonderland soap? I had it in my cart, delayed, and then it was sold. Like a fool, I waited overnight.

It is outstanding! Love the scent and don’t ask me to explain it because I have determined that, for me, it’s impossible to describe Mo’s scents.

Unfortunately, it is vegan. I’ve tried his vegans. They’re very good. But..My particular facial skin likes tallows and animal fats MUCH better!

I think it ALL has to do with a person’s own skin type....rather than the qualities of the soaps which are all great.Vegan works the same as his tallows/fats for some....Not as good for others....like me.....I do find more differences between his bases than dfoulk does. But...YMMV..

Last edited:
Other things come into play as well. For example, I use a water softener as we have crazy hard water here. With the softener the better soaps really shine. Without it lathering a soap can be painful. I crank the softener up and it makes all of my soaps so much better. It's probably the single best thing I've done to improve every one of my soaps and my shaving experience. The razor just glides across my face and rinsing in between passes leaves all of the residual slickness behind. The difference is night and day in my shaving experience and for my skin.

Other things come into play as well. For example, I use a water softener as we have crazy hard water here. With the softener the better soaps really shine. Without it lathering a soap can be painful. I crank the softener up and it makes all of my soaps so much better. It's probably the single best thing I've done to improve every one of my soaps and my shaving experience. The razor just glides across my face and rinsing in between passes leaves all of the residual slickness behind. The difference is night and day in my shaving experience and for my skin.

I’m in a soft water area. So...kinda moot for me...For every soap...it is what it is...The only variable in terms of effectiveness always is just my facial skin...I use same prep routine, razor (OneBlade Genesis 2) and blade, etc for every shave. So, in my case...it’s very easy to compare and contrast soaps and creams.

Last edited:
I often don’t think of the base but the scent when ready to shave. Having said that I’m really enjoying Angel at the moment.

Our water in Vermont is hard and would agree with David. The addition of a quality water softener, I think, is the most important part of wet shaving for me. No one deserves hard water!

Top Bottom