What's new

Grooming Dept club

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I’ve used this soap no more than 8 times, and the donut hole has already appeared. I really cannot fathom how quickly this soap has dissipated. I am not a ‘load it like you hate it’ guy, and, in fact, I load very conservatively and frugally with synthetics only. Given the cost of this soap, the limited number of uses makes GD a very expensive soap per shave. Was this a bad batch? Am I ‘doing it wrong’? Has anyone else seen their GD soaps disappear this quickly?

Attachments

• 65CE1744-949D-4E88-A423-CDD59F397128.jpeg
    65CE1744-949D-4E88-A423-CDD59F397128.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 90
  • 0A7E243A-AE5C-430C-A3DF-4AF14B5B97F0.jpeg
    0A7E243A-AE5C-430C-A3DF-4AF14B5B97F0.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 90
I've not used the Mallard. I have one of the vegan soaps, and it seems to be getting used up proportionately with others of my top tier soaps.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yes it happened with Tacit, grooming dept sent me the other unscented Pekin now that soap is about gone.
Nothing lost the Pekin was sent at no charge.
I've got soaps for a few years and they are used more than my grooming dept soaps and there is plenty left.
Live and learn.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

This happened to me with one tub of Coattails and a tub of Angel. However, both soaps were just so darn good, I really didn’t care that I only got about 25-30 shaves. My other 40 tubs of GD all seem to last about 50-60 shaves

Hannah's Dad

This happened to me with one tub of Coattails and a tub of Angel. However, both soaps were just so darn good, I really didn’t care that I only got about 25-30 shaves. My other 40 tubs of GD all seem to last about 50-60 shaves
I can only hope to get to 25 with this Mallard. Seems unlikely, though.

That is a very fast usage rate. If you send an email to Mo, he'll likely make it right.

I have six GD soaps, although not the Mallard formulation. All seem like they are being used at a normal rate.

Dis you have a ton of lather left over?

It appears that the usage is in one spot and created the hole. The edges dont have that bowl shape soaps get when used. I would be tempted to say you didn't get enough soap in that tub. Of course this is just from a picture. I may be completely of base.

I have many GD soaps and have had no issues with shrinkage or usage. I do not lather from the tub, which could be the issue. I always, irregardless of the soap or soap maker, scoop out the desired amount, place it in a lathering bowl, and build later. For me, this not only keeps the soaps clean but I know how much of the soap I am using and better understand how much to use of each formula.

I hope this is helpful.

Hannah's Dad

Dis you have a ton of lather left over?

It appears that the usage is in one spot and created the hole. The edges dont have that bowl shape soaps get when used. I would be tempted to say you didn't get enough soap in that tub. Of course this is just from a picture. I may be completely of base.
No, typical lather for 3 passes and some leftover during cleanup. I was really shocked when I saw the center yesterday. It’s just soap, but man it went fast!

Hannah's Dad

I have many GD soaps and have had no issues with shrinkage or usage. I do not lather from the tub, which could be the issue. I always, irregardless of the soap or soap maker, scoop out the desired amount, place it in a lathering bowl, and build later. For me, this not only keeps the soaps clean but I know how much of the soap I am using and better understand how much to use of each formula.

I hope this is helpful.
Thanks; I’ve used most of the artisans and many of the classics. I always load from the puck and never have I seen such quick dissipation as with this soap.

I don't know what to say other than you are using too much... I have had a few GD soaps for 1 - 2 years, countless shaves, and you can't tell they have ever been used. Maybe you should try to modify your approach. Many of GD soaps are quite soft. I can understand how they could easily be overloaded.

At any rate, I'm sure you get a great shave experience, even if you have used too much product.

Hannah's Dad

I don't know what to say other than you are using too much... I have had a few GD soaps for 1 - 2 years, countless shaves, and you can't tell they have ever been used. Maybe you should try to modify your approach. Many of GD soaps are quite soft. I can understand how they could easily be overloaded.

At any rate, I'm sure you get a great shave experience, even if you have used too much product.
I appreciate your thoughts.

I tried one tub of GD. Before the Fire if I remember right. It was gone in less than 30 shaves. Good soap but too expensive per shave.

No, typical lather for 3 passes and some leftover during cleanup. I was really shocked when I saw the center yesterday. It’s just soap, but man it went fast!

I would suspect you didn't get the correct amount in the tub. I thought I read somewhere that some of his soaps have been runny, almost cream like. By the looks of your soap, I do not believe this is the case.

Quite frankly it is IMO the most over hyped shaving soap in years. Mine did the same thing and I don't bloom and only use synthetics that need but a few swirls. This product is IMO a cardinal rule example of just to what great depth confirmation bias can run on wet shaving forums. The emperor truly has no clothes.

Top Bottom