What's new

Grooming advice?

I've had facial hair for years now (I've heard it called a Van Dyke, goatee, etc. Basically a moustache and goatee, connected).
This week I overheard a conversation at work about facial hair and whether or not it impacts how you are perceived. The general consensus of the group was that what's important is that it's well groomed, regardless of style.

This made me think about more intentional grooming in top of the weekly trim. My facial hair is very straight and wiry, instead of sitting against my skin (think eyebrows), it sticks out at a 45 degree angle (think shaving brush).

What are some options that would help give a more smooth look, less spiky?

Well, if this is for a job there are methods to keep it more "presentable". Keeping the lines or borders of your facial hair cleaned up will help. Also, having your facial hair trimmed instead of waving in the wind. And there are many products like mustache wax and beard tonics to not only keep facial hair inline, but also to nourish the hair itself.

Depends what you're looking to do but they can both be beneficial for SBFHS (shaving brush facial hair syndrome :001_smile)

The conditioner should make the hair softer and less "wiry" as you put it. The wax will hold it in place and keep it from looking like that shaving brush.

I have the same "bristle brush" problem with my facial hair. My solution was to grow it out a little longer than you might think. The extra weight holds it down for a more natural look.

I keep the edges lined up neatly with my razor and trim the body of the beard with scissors. I found that buzzing the beard short with clippers just makes it poof out, so I carefully sculpt away what I don't want in the beard with the scissors instead. It takes a little practice and patience, but was easier than I thought it would be. I've never been happier with the way my beard looks.

I also condition with a few drops of sweet almond oil. It has no fragrance and can be purchased relatively cheaply at stores like Whole Foods. Just be careful not to use too much as it can make your facial hair unusually shiny/oily looking.

Between lining up the edges, trimming with scissors, and conditioning with almond oil, my beard stays nice and neat.

Look at examples online - pintrest has tons of bearded guys. Honestly there are a lot of folks who simply just shouldn't sport facial hair. Theres also the folks who aren't fully committed and are simply cutting it wrong. I know because i used to be one of them. The neck line too high, mustache too short, using the same clipper length for everything - those are the big ones i see most often and have done myself.

My biggest tip would be: don't underestimate the importance of wax for your beard and mustache. I use a hair styling wax in my beard to keep it tight and even.

Look at examples online - pintrest has tons of bearded guys. Honestly there are a lot of folks who simply just shouldn't sport facial hair. Theres also the folks who aren't fully committed and are simply cutting it wrong. I know because i used to be one of them. The neck line too high, mustache too short, using the same clipper length for everything - those are the big ones i see most often and have done myself.

My biggest tip would be: don't underestimate the importance of wax for your beard and mustache. I use a hair styling wax in my beard to keep it tight and even.

I think it looks terrible when a beard is shaved right up to the jawline (i've been guilty of this when I was in HS.

As a rule of thumb, look down at your toes, and the line that forms between your lower jaw/upper throat line and your neck is usually the best place to shave for the beard line. Should never have beard on beard.

Some good advice in here already.

All i have to add is when trimming your beard with clippers/beard trimmer, go with the direction of the hair. It will certainly help "comb" it in that direction.

not only have i experienced this, a barber told me as well.

I think it looks terrible when a beard is shaved right up to the jawline (i've been guilty of this when I was in HS.

As a rule of thumb, look down at your toes, and the line that forms between your lower jaw/upper throat line and your neck is usually the best place to shave for the beard line. Should never have beard on beard.

I use a string over the ears and under your chin. pull it up tight and cut your line.

I had a high neck line with i was young and had a "chin strap" beard... looks terrible if you have more than an inch wide on your cheeks. took me a while to figure that out. also did the weird long goatee ... that was terrible too. just a bunch of half committal issues, go full beard (or stache) or nothing at all i say!

Top Bottom