What's new

Grokking pomade.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Dry hair. Flyaway hair. Maybe I cover grays! Who knows. Looking quarantine unkempt.

Tried a handful of hyraluronic acid (HA) moisturizer on my hair and it worked great!

But for $2.44, you can get a classic: Murray's pomade. So I tried it.

proxy.php

I get it.

Used to think pomade was a 50s "Grease" thing.

No.

Just a bit of this stuff - like from touching the lid with one finger - sets you right.

Pillowcase won't turn into a fire hazard. Women might not even notice!

Just a touch. That's the pomade breakthrough enlightenment I had.

So. Where's my Harley?

AA

True. Found this myself. A pomade is very "buildable", if this is a word, so to get the best results only a small scoop is needed. It keeps the hair flexible, it adds volume, once evenly distributed (with a comb) you can arrange it with the fingers (for a casual look). It doesn't stain the pillows at all. And it's easy to remove, since it's only a scoop.

I'm talking about almost any OB pomade, not only Murray's. Of course, if someone want to look like the 50's greasers then a large quantity should be used. I'm happy with only one scoop.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thanks so much @zenex . I know there are way better or more sophisticated pomades, but wanted to try a classic.

This one at least seems to also do hands some good.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hair SPRAY really offends me. It's spray lacquer, essentially, and my wife's liberal application of it wrecks the bathroom. Ceiling fan has to be cleaned of it; walls get sticky and dust accumulated faster etc.

Elton John's right: "My sister looks cute, in her britches and boots; a handful of grease in her hair ..."

AA

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hair SPRAY really offends me. It's spray lacquer, essentially, and my wife's liberal application of it wrecks the bathroom. Ceiling fan has to be cleaned of it; walls get sticky and dust accumulated faster etc.

Elton John's right: "My sister looks cute, in her britches and boots; a handful of grease in her hair ..."

AA
Lol! And it's Saturday night! Go start a fight!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yeah. No.

You got The War Department; I got The Spanish Armada. :devil: :austin1: :kyle1::letterk1:

Have to choose your fights ... Carefully ... At my age.

AA
Ayyyymen! My lovely wife is my best friend, mostly cuz I'm AFRAID of not being friends with her. Do you grok what I'm saying? She has the ability to make me disappear with just a look!

Dry hair. Flyaway hair. Maybe I cover grays! Who knows. Looking quarantine unkempt.

Tried a handful of hyraluronic acid (HA) moisturizer on my hair and it worked great!

But for $2.44, you can get a classic: Murray's pomade. So I tried it.

proxy.php

I get it.

Used to think pomade was a 50s "Grease" thing.

No.

Just a bit of this stuff - like from touching the lid with one finger - sets you right.

Pillowcase won't turn into a fire hazard. Women might not even notice!

Just a touch. That's the pomade breakthrough enlightenment I had.

So. Where's my Harley?

AA

Great review!!

‘Pillowcase won’t turn into a fire hazard....Where’s my Harley?’ What else can you want?
:a29: :a29:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Its hard to tell exactly but im assuming this is oil based not water base?
If so hows the cleanup? I appreciate not igniting the pillow but ive stayed clear of oil base for cleanup and well not setting fires anywhere
;)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Its hard to tell exactly but im assuming this is oil based not water base?
If so hows the cleanup? I appreciate not igniting the pillow but ive stayed clear of oil base for cleanup and well not setting fires anywhere
;)

Oil-based like the Exxon Valdez! Oh yes it is!

But that's the thing; a touch does it. Or could do it ... so can half a can... If you stay away from open flame!

AA

I understand there is water-based and oil-based pomade. So, can someone explain what is the difference between a water-based pomade and the old-style hair gel in a tube?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I understand there is water-based and oil-based pomade. So, can someone explain what is the difference between a water-based pomade and the old-style hair gel in a tube?

I'm an utter rookie at this. Gents? Anyone that came here on a Harley?

Bowser. What's the deal with the water and oil based?

AA

I have both types. I started with water-based pomades due to the horror stories behind pillows staining and the difficulty of washing out in the case of oil-based pomades. So, I started with the inevitable Suavecito, then the La-em Strait from Murray's and the Layrite Cement. The Layrite ended in the trash bin after a few uses. The others are rarely used, because they are just...hardened gel. As a consequence, I feel there's a LOT of pulling and tugging at application. Once applied they harden and the hair is crunchy and stiff.

Meanwhile I tried the OB pomades...and this type is exactly what I need. As I wrote in a previous post here, I use a small quantity, not being interested in slick-backs or pompadours (but sometimes I use a little bit more for a classic look).

I know there are WB pomades fans. But for me, water-based pomades are no more than hardened gel.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
No expert here and haven't tried oil base. I use water base for ease of use and easy wash out with shampoo and no fires. Like anything there are many different types and ymmv but my favorites are nothing like tube gel. For instance reuzel or imperial give hold and control with a matte finish and remain soft through the day. It doesn't look like i have any or a lot of hair product in but controls the wilds.

I was wandering through Maggard's B&M, saw tins of Dapper Dan and had to get one (yellow, not red). I'm a convert. It'll last me a long time and I'm not two weeks from everywhere, but maybe I'll order up some Murray's.

Top Bottom