What's new

Grocery store bread

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My only problem with store bread is that it's usually too sweet for me. But a loaf of French or Italian is great.
Kroger used to have decent French bread at the bakery, but then they switched from putting in paper sacks with an open end to sealing them in plastic. This takes the crisp out of the crust. Luckily we have a Vietnamese owned French bakery not from the house.

This bread makes some great toast.

proxy.php

This is the only bread I buy anymore. I get the smaller loaf that is thinner cut. Wonderful toasted with peanut butter or some good Irish butter. I am not big on it with sandwiches, I prefer it toasted in the morning with some coffee. I have been meaning to try it for some pepper-jack and bacon grilled cheese.

It's really pretty easy to make your own bread. It's so much better! I do a no-knead bread on most weekends; super simple and delicious.

This is the only bread I buy anymore. I get the smaller loaf that is thinner cut. Wonderful toasted with peanut butter or some good Irish butter. I am not big on it with sandwiches, I prefer it toasted in the morning with some coffee. I have been meaning to try it for some pepper-jack and bacon grilled cheese.
It makes great French toast.

Never have high expectations for anything from the walmart bakery but missed going to the German deli/bakery before heading out for the weekend so stopped at walmart this morning and picked up a loaf of their 9 Grain & Seed. I gotta say, its actually quite good. Substantial, very seedy and tasty

proxy.php

I have been making my own bread for a couple years now. The bread at the store is either completely tasteless or stale. The pullman (or sandwich bread) I make has so much more flavor than anything you'd buy its night and day. I understand why people don't make it. It takes time. Time is the main ingredient with bread and so many people have so little of it. I work from home most days. The making of bread is not very involved. Most of the time spent is just waiting. So while I work, the bread does its thing. I make the breads I like to eat. I make a couple varieties of baguette, a whole wheat, a wheat/rye combo, Pullman, Brioche, cinnamon raisin, croissants, and Kugelofph. If you have the time, its worth doing it.

Top Bottom