What's new

Grocery Shopping Bags

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Here in Austin, Texas plastic bags are outlawed. I dont mind really because I hate seeing them tumbling down the road or stuck in barbedwire. I'm looking for those, sort of, square standup bags that don't fall over when you're placing items in the bag. Or one that doesn't fall over in the back of your vehicle. Washable would be a plus.

What are you using for a grocery bag other than plastic or the old paper bag?

Not going to stand up but we have a number of canvas Lee Valley bags that have been in use for at least a dozen years, washable get used for everything. Also in the messenger bag i always carry i have another Lee Valley bag in nylon that packs into an integrated pocket no bigger than a small fist.

We're strictly public transit so you're carrying not setting things down anyways, no advantage to be self-standing and bulky to carry around with you when not being put to use.

dave

shavefan

I’m not a fan
No help here, I double up the paper sacks I get from Central Market. They hold up a relatively long time and end up recycled or composted when they do finally wear out.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Not going to stand up but we have a number of canvas Lee Valley bags that have been in use for at least a dozen years, washable get used for everything. Also in the messenger bag i always carry i have another Lee Valley bag in nylon that packs into an integrated pocket no bigger than a small fist.

We're strictly public transit so you're carrying not setting things down anyways, no advantage to be self-standing and bulky to carry around with you when not being put to use.

dave
I've seen the collsapable bags that are self standing when open. Being washable is another thing.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
There are some good quality hession style bags available that can stand up. Next time I am at work, I will take a photo and show you. My employer has stopped using plastic bags about 12 months ago. The only real problem that we have is that people bring in all sorts of shapes and size bags that don’t fit in our packing stands. Our old plastic bags were made for the stands but now we get customers bring in small bags, long bags, thin bags and thick bags. Some are so big the customer says just fit it all in the one bag, then you can’t lift it out of the stand for them.

I've seen the collsapable bags that are self standing when open. Being washable is another thing.

We do have some collapsable, fold up bags that will stand, my wife usually takes those with her, but like you observed, i can't say they've been laundered or can be, those ones are made from recycled materials and probably were promotional handouts from various retailers. Those are nowhere near as durable as the canvas bags we bought, a couple years maybe then garbage.
dave

One thing Singapore is not very good at is plastic. In the supermarket I use, the cashier seems to be on a mission to use as many bags as possible: if I buy chicken pieces, they will be in packaging, and I usually put them in a plastic bag, because the packaging sometimes leaks. The cashier will invariably try and put that into a small plastic bag, before putting in the (plastic) carrier bag. Same with eggs, in a small bag, into a separate carrier bag. They have started asking if you have your own bags with you, and if we are going at the weekend, we do take a couple of our own bags but if I stop on the way home from work, then no. We use them here for rubbish, everything has to go down the rubbish chute so it needs to be wrapped in something first.

When we were in Jakarta the other weekend, shops have started charging for bags, still plastic of course, but it's a start.

Many of our stores will charge for bags if you need them at checkout (we're rarely without so can't say how widespread it is), i'm not sure whether it's mandated and it may be up to municipalities whether or not it's required by all retailers therein.
dave

What do y'all think about these? Not machine washable but I love the handles on the side .
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07HLX7LSK/ref=sspa_mw_detail_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those look nice, I agree I like the side handles.
I have been using these for a couple of years and always have several of them as well as the collapsible hard sided version from the same company in our cars at all times. They really work well.
https://www.amazon.com/CleverMade-S...e&qid=1557684241&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Those look nice, I agree I like the side handles.
I have been using these for a couple of years and always have several of them as well as the collapsible hard sided version from the same company in our cars at all times. They really work well.
https://www.amazon.com/CleverMade-S...e&qid=1557684241&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1
Hey Bob, nice to here from you. It's been awhile since you've posted in the Mess Hall.

Those look like great bags. I like the way they collapse from top to bottom. I pulled the trigger on the black ones so I'll give a report back.

Hey Bob, nice to here from you. It's been awhile since you've posted in the Mess Hall.

Thanks, it has been years but I still pass through here every once in a while to check on things or when doing research on the latest cooking implement that I “must” have. Lots of good info and knowledgeable folks. Nice to be back.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I really need to start bringing my own. I don’t shop often so I just go with the plastic they give. But I don’t like it. I save them and try to reuse them for other things but I have 500 bags that inevitably will end up in the garbage.

Legion

Staff member
038BC24D-BF14-4364-A5FD-31DA4BD6D8A1.jpeg
You have to bring your own bags where I live as well. The best ones I have found were in an Asian grocery store, and they are made of a strong nylon that is really durable, but soft enough to roll or fold up nice and small. I’ve been using these for a couple of years and they are still going strong.

I guess sending SWMBO to the store isn't an option. I have no idea what she uses to get stuff from the store to our house. Although I do know we used to get the plastic bags because they made awesome poop bags when out walking the dog (I even give them out to other people).

I have a few canvas bags for groceries. Not sure if you have Trader Joe’s in your area? They sell heavy duty canvas bags for cheap. They get run through the wash from time to time. I Prefer the canvas because they are super durable.

Top Bottom