What's new

Grinding question

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Hey, guys. I'm relatively new to making coffee. If I need my pour over to brew faster, do I make the grind finer or coarser? Also, how far above the grounds do I make the water level? Getting ok results so far, but looking towards better one. Thanks!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Excellent question. I'm try to convince my lucky bride to let me expand the ways I enjoy coffee...

Pour over is fairly forgiving, but usually there is an ideal amount of time and size of grind for the best flavor characteristics. If you want it to go faster make the coffee grounds coarser. If the grounds are coarser you can allow the water level to be a greater distance above the grounds level, with coarser grounds you're like to avoid over extraction still.

Last edited:
Hey, guys. I'm relatively new to making coffee. If I need my pour over to brew faster, do I make the grind finer or coarser? Also, how far above the grounds do I make the water level? Getting ok results so far, but looking towards better one. Thanks!
The many variables in pour over brewing can interfere with each other, but in brief if you grind finer then the brewing time should be reduced, as there is more surface area exposed to the water. If you want the water to "drip" out the bottom faster then the coffee should be ground more coarsely.

Related to that, I find there is some dependence on the amount brewed, in that when brewing a single cup using a small Melitta or Hario the coffee is ground finer and overall brewing time reduced; but if brewing multiple cups at once using a large sized Melitta or Hario then grind more coarsely, otherwise the volume of coffee grounds will slow/stall the drip too long and give bad results.

You don't really need to go much over the coffee bed, just need to give it plenty of head room to bloom and expand. Many find that stirring just after the initial pre-infusion and later in the brew cycle gives a better result.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Pour over is fairly forgiving, but usually there is an ideal amount of time and size of grind for the best flavor characteristics. If you want it to go faster make the coffee grounds coarser. If the grounds are coarser you can allow the water level to be a greater distance above the grounds level, with coarser grounds you're like to avoid over extraction still.
Nice to hear someone mention over extraction. IMO among Starbucks' many faults is that they both over-extract their drip coffee horribly and use too much coffee to water, making it undrinkable black. There is a tipping point on coffee to water, and they are always over it. I suppose that it evens out, however, since their cappuccinos and cafe lattes have almost no coffee flavor. Mercifully it has been years since I had their coffee, but when those big boxes of coffee showed up at meetings I just winced.

Nice to hear someone mention over extraction. IMO among Starbucks' many faults is that they both over-extract their drip coffee horribly and use too much coffee to water, making it undrinkable black. There is a tipping point on coffee to water, and they are always over it. I suppose that it evens out, however, since their cappuccinos and cafe lattes have almost no coffee flavor. Mercifully it has been years since I had their coffee, but when those big boxes of coffee showed up at meetings I just winced.
I agree on the Starbucks, there is a local place near me that does an excellent job. My other gripe about Starbucks is that everything that isn't iced is undrinkably hot. I ordered a flat white from Starbucks once that I couldn't drink for an hour.

KeenDogg

The many variables in pour over brewing can interfere with each other, but in brief if you grind finer then the brewing time should be reduced, as there is more surface area exposed to the water. If you want the water to "drip" out the bottom faster then the coffee should be ground more coarsely.

Related to that, I find there is some dependence on the amount brewed, in that when brewing a single cup using a small Melitta or Hario the coffee is ground finer and overall brewing time reduced; but if brewing multiple cups at once using a large sized Melitta or Hario then grind more coarsely, otherwise the volume of coffee grounds will slow/stall the drip too long and give bad results.

You don't really need to go much over the coffee bed, just need to give it plenty of head room to bloom and expand. Many find that stirring just after the initial pre-infusion and later in the brew cycle gives a better result.
Thanks for the reply. I want to reduce brew time and am experiencing stall to some degree. I am using 16g coffee for 233 ml water Medium roast, Melitta naturals, single cup. I had a problem last week with my filter, I didn't know i had to fold it. Now, its getting better as far as stalling, I just think I need to dial in the grind.

Thanks for the reply. I want to reduce brew time and am experiencing stall to some degree. I am using 16g coffee for 233 ml water Medium roast, Melitta naturals, single cup. I had a problem last week with my filter, I didn't know i had to fold it. Now, its getting better as far as stalling, I just think I need to dial in the grind.

Too fine clogs the filter.

The grind should look like table salt. Start there and go up/down.

Wet the grounds. They Should "mushroom up" if the coffee is fresh.

Wait 30-40 seconds and start pouring in a circular motion.

Keep the water level consistent . You want to pour in as close to the outflow as possible. Always in the center but in a circular motion.

Don't pour down the sides, just the center.

Bloom

proxy.php

KeenDogg

Too fine clogs the filter.

The grind should look like table salt. Start there and go up/down.

Wet the grounds. They Should "mushroom up" if the coffee is fresh.

Wait 30-40 seconds and start pouring in a circular motion.

Keep the water level consistent . You want to pour in as close to the outflow as possible. Always in the center but in a circular motion.

Don't pour down the sides, just the center.

Bloom

proxy.php
Thanks, Mick. I will report back.

It's all in the name of Science! I had a similar journey a few years ago. And like getting into old school shaving, mornings have never been the same, but better and more enjoyable!

I use a Bodum Pour over. The filter that comes with it is great. I use a semi course grind. I bloom the grinds by pouring a slight amount of water on them just to wet them. I wait two minutes and then start pouring. The hole process takes about five minutes for me.

KeenDogg

Got a chance to have a go at it today. Got in some fresh coffee from La Colombe. It ground a little finer than what I was using so I gave it a try on my current setting on 6. Total time came in under 4 minutes and the coffee was pretty dang good. I am going to go a few clicks finer to allow my bloom to flourish more. Definitely on the right track again! Thanks so much.

KeenDogg

Making consistently good cups now. A thought I had....Does old coffee brew different lly than when it was fresh? I know the taste changes, but can the ge brew time and/or grind change as well?

Making consistently good cups now. A thought I had....Does old coffee brew different lly than when it was fresh? I know the taste changes, but can the ge brew time and/or grind change as well?
I am not an expert, but what I do know is that fresh beans outgas more during the bloom. I am thinking that this would add a little more time during pour over. Less time needed for older coffee, and I think if you poured for the same time as fresh, then maybe over extract? Just my 2 cents.

There are some differences, though when brewing a single cup they should be less pronounced than when brewing a pot full. I notice the biggest difference when using coffee that is very fresh, like 3-4 days old versus 2 week old coffee. In that there is so much off gassing during the bloom that the coffee bed can more quickly collapse on itself as the pour begins after the pre-infusion stage. It is as if the coffee bed has too many voids and cannot support the weight of the water being added, resulting in the flow being reduced similar to what would otherwise occur a few minutes later, causing the brew time to be stretched out. I rarely brew coffee over 3 weeks old, but I imagine the reduced off gassing of older coffee would also reduce the flow rate, as the coffee bed would be more dense as the post-bloom pour began. Though I would not expect much difference between 8 week vs 10 week old coffee, as both would have minimal off gassing.

How you pour can also make a difference, for instance after a nice bloom if you pour quickly once the bed is "suspended" the pour can be completed quickly, versus more slowy if the bed is given a chance to settle without being stirred or agitated by your pour. It depends on whether you want it to go faster or not.

KeenDogg

There are some differences, though when brewing a single cup they should be less pronounced than when brewing a pot full. I notice the biggest difference when using coffee that is very fresh, like 3-4 days old versus 2 week old coffee. In that there is so much off gassing during the bloom that the coffee bed can more quickly collapse on itself as the pour begins after the pre-infusion stage. It is as if the coffee bed has too many voids and cannot support the weight of the water being added, resulting in the flow being reduced similar to what would otherwise occur a few minutes later, causing the brew time to be stretched out. I rarely brew coffee over 3 weeks old, but I imagine the reduced off gassing of older coffee would also reduce the flow rate, as the coffee bed would be more dense as the post-bloom pour began. Though I would not expect much difference between 8 week vs 10 week old coffee, as both would have minimal off gassing.

How you pour can also make a difference, for instance after a nice bloom if you pour quickly once the bed is "suspended" the pour can be completed quickly, versus more slowy if the bed is given a chance to settle without being stirred or agitated by your pour. It depends on whether you want it to go faster or not.
Thanks, that gives me some food for thought. I will continue on and see how I progress.

I don't disagree with any of the advice here, but, if I want a quick cup of coffee (almost always brewing a single cup through a Hario filter) I will use a slightly finer grind, more coffee than normal, and a higher level than normal. That's a bit counterintuitive compared to the "correct" answers.

I'll use a few different apps for coffee depending on if I'm using a Chemex or Clever dripper. Haven't ventured into the Hario region yet but that's coming soon. My app of choice is Coffio.

Top Bottom