What's new

Grinding beans without a grinder.

Legion

Staff member
The wife bought a bag of coffee beans by accident, and I don’t have a grinder. Is there a preferred way or technique of grinding beans using something I might already have on hand? I am happy buying ground coffee usually, so I don’t really feel the need to spring for a grinder for one bag.

can I chuck them in a kitchen blender?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I'd try a food processor or a mortar and pestle. If I did not have either, I'd put some in a Ziploc bag and try a rolling pin. Th local grocery store that sold them might let you run them through their grinder.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Mortar and pestle works, if you are making espresso or Turkish. Stay away from food processors or other blenders.
I have a small FP, a Cuisinart Mini Prep, dedicated to grinding spices, but its chamber is not much different than a whirly type coffee grinder. It does things like allspice that are not that much smaller and are about as hard as coffee beans.

Not sure if this would work but I do it with nuts sometimes when I need them finely chopped, but am too lazy to break out the food processor. I use a big, sharp chef's knife. Would probably work okay on a small amount, for a not-so-fine result you can use in a French press.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm late to the party, but I don't think anyone would be happy with results from the methods suggested in this thread or that article unless the zombie apocalypse were upon us (or there were no other coffee around). There's little sense in putting that much effort (or any at all) into something that is all by sure to be no good.

Better to get a grinder and start grinding to get the good stuff. If you don't want to do that, see if you have a buddy with a grinder you can use. If you don't or don't want to do that, just give it away and go back for your ground stuff.

Top Bottom