What's new

Grinding Beans for Cold Brew

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I recommend the Hario cold brew pitcher. Easy peasy and makes great tasting coffee every time.

Ordered this; many thanks!

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I don't know what I would do without my Hario Mizudashis. I have 4 and all 4 are in rotation. So simple fill course ground coffee, fill with tap water, let it soak 16-24 hours. Those 2 go into the fridge. Repeat. I don't add any water to my cold brew. Make cold brew ice cubes out of any unused. Go through two a day.
😉 4? Then there's something to it.... 🤔

+1 thanks.

AA

uh... if you're getting the ratio right, why not transition to a steel/ABP-free plastic carafe? I ever break this glass press, I'll go more robust. but it's for company, and that's rare.

I have a stainless steel FP, and I used it for a year or two before I went back to glass. It gives a metallic taste to my cup. Faint, but noticable to the discerning palette. I like that metallic taste from my water bottle, but not from my coffee cup!

I still use it for travel and for camping, but not for my morning cup at home. Still totally worth the purchase.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hario Mizudashi in the house!

Simple, well-made, only $20 - what's not to love?

Looking forward to the coffee tomorrow.

🤔 Any tips or tricks?

AA

Espresso nerd snob here :) wife likes cold brew I am OK with it
but make it for her
coarse grind and left out on counter for 20 hours up or down a bit
prefer the on counter room temp flav to fridge flav ? Again both work one is not better :)

to me you have to play with ratios for what you like do you dilute ? Over ice with cream etc...

for espresso I recently dumped my Elektra A3 and now use a cafelat robot and prefer it ! Still have a pasquini I need to work on ? But kinda into manual levers these days ANYWAY

I tried the Hario my downside is lack of room in the brew screen area but its a good setup
french press ? Rather make enough for a week at a time but great coffee water distribution or contact or whatever ya want to call it :)
pour in sock type setup is easy clean up and quite clean but sock has cleaning issues
loose and then strain maybe twice can be messy but great end result and in some ways less long term maintenance to deal with

might say a super large french press and then pout into other container is a cheap easy way to get into it that also gives you a french press :)

look into James Hoffman method of Japan style iceed brew that is YUM not really cold brew but kinda a cold brew

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Definitely hit the correct path with Hario Mizudashi... With milk and sugar, this stuff is dynamite.

Super easy cleanup too, which seems to be the main problem with improvising cold coffee.

AA

I break out the digital kitchen scale when I make it (I bake bread a lot and a scale is a must have). I follow the ratio of 4.5 water:1 coffee. I set the scale for grams, weigh out 100 g of coffee, grind it to French Press coarseness and transfer to a bowl. Weigh out 450 g of water and add it to the coffee grounds. Let it sit on the counter for 12 hours and then run it through a fine sieve. Put the cold brew I. The fridge and it easily lasts a week. Take one part cold brew and add 2 parts water and you’re good to go.

And yes, I’m weird.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I break out the digital kitchen scale when I make it (I bake bread a lot and a scale is a must have). I follow the ratio of 4.5 water:1 coffee. I set the scale for grams, weigh out 100 g of coffee, grind it to French Press coarseness and transfer to a bowl. Weigh out 450 g of water and add it to the coffee grounds. Let it sit on the counter for 12 hours and then run it through a fine sieve. Put the cold brew I. The fridge and it easily lasts a week. Take one part cold brew and add 2 parts water and you’re good to go.

And yes, I’m weird.

"Particular" isn't weird ... it's just super specific! :cuppa:

AA

I recommend the Hario cold brew pitcher. Easy peasy and makes great tasting coffee every time.

I don't know what I would do without my Hario Mizudashis. I have 4 and all 4 are in rotation. So simple fill course ground coffee, fill with tap water, let it soak 16-24 hours. Those 2 go into the fridge. Repeat. I don't add any water to my cold brew. Make cold brew ice cubes out of any unused. Go through two a day.

Definitely hit the correct path with Hario Mizudashi... With milk and sugar, this stuff is dynamite.

Super easy cleanup too, which seems to be the main problem with improvising cold coffee.

AA
Thank you gentleman. I have been buying the premixed stuff, and, this recommendation will save me money to get my cold brew fix.

Now I need a new grinder.

This is the cold brew maker I have. Makes a good bit of coffee. I really have no clue of the ratio. I just course grind and fill the tubular filter with coffee. Then I slowly fill with water through the filter/grounds. Next I shake it a little to make sure everything is saturated and add water if needed. I steep for around 12hrs on the counter. Usually using cheap bulk medium roast beans from ingles supermarket lol. After steeping I just lift out the filter and let it drain pretty well till it stops dripping. Store in the fridge and done.

Cold brew is pretty concentrated so I dilute it. Usually about half the glass or a smidge more of the cold brew concentrate. Then some additional water or milk and a little creamer or sweetener of choice. Usually turns out quite good and smooth. Less acidic and tasty. It keeps in the fridge for a good amount of time too.

County Line Kitchen - Cold Brew Mason Jar Coffee Maker, Durable Glass, Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Filter - 2 Quart, 64 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ATJ6AJ...abc_R43JMNBK8ZRNH8ENJFC3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

20210822_153129.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
This is the cold brew maker I have. Makes a good bit of coffee. I really have no clue of the ratio. I just course grind and fill the tubular filter with coffee. Then I slowly fill with water through the filter/grounds. Next I shake it a little to make sure everything is saturated and add water if needed. I steep for around 12hrs on the counter. Usually using cheap bulk medium roast beans from ingles supermarket lol. After steeping I just lift out the filter and let it drain pretty well till it stops dripping. Store in the fridge and done.

Cold brew is pretty concentrated so I dilute it. Usually about half the glass or a smidge more of the cold brew concentrate. Then some additional water or milk and a little creamer or sweetener of choice. Usually turns out quite good and smooth. Less acidic and tasty. It keeps in the fridge for a good amount of time too.

County Line Kitchen - Cold Brew Mason Jar Coffee Maker, Durable Glass, Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Filter - 2 Quart, 64 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ATJ6AJ...abc_R43JMNBK8ZRNH8ENJFC3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 1341154

🤔 Wow! Didn't know that existed. It surely would work!

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
My Mizudashi arrived today. The box looked fine, but, when I opened it up the lid was broken in pieces. Replacement is on the way. I still have the store bought concentrate anyway. Still very disappointing.

The lid, not the glass? 🤔 I am afraid of breaking mine, it's tall, thin and glass. But after what happened to the French press... 😱

AA

The lid, not the glass? 🤔 I am afraid of breaking mine, it's tall, thin and glass. But after what happened to the French press... 😱

AA
Yep the lid. The glass was fine. I considered just throwing the lid out and keeping it, but, I still have coffee, so I'm not in a rush.

2021-10-0709.23.553659702185906620539.jpg

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yep the lid. The glass was fine. I considered just throwing the lid out and keeping it, but, I still have coffee, so I'm not in a rush.

View attachment 1341384

Flat-out bizarre! The container is delicate glass, and the LID is durable plastic!

Anyways. Worth waiting for. When I (inevitably) break mine, I'll have an extra lid and basket! :biggrin1:

:cuppa: We have friends from El Salvador. Their family has a small coffee plantation there. They were over last weekend and the wife was curious about the mizudashi, so I gave her some. She agreed it tasted great, but was very strong - which checks out!

And it was $3.23 walmart coffee. I can't see putting high-end coffee in this thing when it's quite likely the bitter/oils aren't being heat-released from this cheaper stuff.

AA

So I just made my first cold brew in the Hario Mizudashi. The consensus seems to be a coarse grind like with a French press, but, the Mizudashi instructions say the following:

"We recommend using medium-fine coffee
grounds. Using coarse ground coffee reduces
the extraction efficiency resulting in a weak
brew, whereas fine ground coffee passes
through the strainer making the coffee grainy."

Next time I will play with my grind a bit. Maybe somewhere between drip and espresso on my grinder?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
So I just made my first cold brew in the Hario Mizudashi. The consensus seems to be a coarse grind like with a French press, but, the Mizudashi instructions say the following:

"We recommend using medium-fine coffee
grounds. Using coarse ground coffee reduces
the extraction efficiency resulting in a weak
brew, whereas fine ground coffee passes
through the strainer making the coffee grainy."

Next time I will play with my grind a bit. Maybe somewhere between drip and espresso on my grinder?

I'm new to it myself, but nothing has passed through the filter yet.

Fine stuff, it takes longer to add the water. It goes down very slowly...

AA

I'm new to it myself, but nothing has passed through the filter yet.

Fine stuff, it takes longer to add the water. It goes down very slowly...

AA
I'm not so worried about it passing through. At the grind I have in mind. The stand out to me was about the coarse grind and extraction.

Top Bottom