What's new

Grinding Beans for Cold Brew

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'm not so worried about it passing through. At the grind I have in mind. The stand out to me was about the coarse grind and extraction.

I have found this to be so. Finer grinds take much longer for the water to percolate through.

Been experimenting with blends - a bit of cafe brulee, bunch of dark/coarse, bit of espresso.

A smooth brew, never bitter. But so strong! Gotta treat this almost as an energy drink. Spike with milk, small portions and remember to drink water.

:cuppa: Have really reduced soda consumption. Better too-strong cafe than all the chemicals in soda.

AA

This last batch I followed Hario's instructions exactly. I used a grind somewhere between drip and espresso. For beans I used some marketed for cold brew from one of my local roasters. I let it brew for 8 hours. It was almost as strong as the 24 hour coarse grind. It did take longer to longer to get through, but, I wasn't in a rush. From the coarse grind, there was a little sludge, probably from over filling. I'll have to see if any passed through the filter with this grind. I usually mix one or two 16oz cups a day. I mix two to one with water drop of half and half and two squirts of caramel syrup. Maybe I will brew for 12 hours next time.

Top Bottom