What's new

Grinders etc

I'm also in agreement +2

I have had the same burr grinder for the past 4 years. I ran starbucks through it mostly and even some Jamaican blue mountain! That $50.00 bag was probably stale, so I didn't taste anything different! It wasn't until I bought freshly roasted kona, and then roasted my own coffee that the difference in flavor was VERY noticeable!!!

Krups grinder! They're very inexpensive, less than $20, and they last a lifetime. I know two that have had theirs for over 15 years and they still work great. I purchased one for $11.

Forgot to post this, I tried the Minute rice method of cleaning the burr..

baaaad idea, it kinda clogged the grinder up ^^; Not to worry though, I managed to get it all sorted out and it's up and running like normal, though I won't try the wet rice next time..might try dry rice though, hopefully that might work.

baaaad idea, it kinda clogged the grinder up ^^; Not to worry though, I managed to get it all sorted out and it's up and running like normal, though I won't try the wet rice next time..might try dry rice though, hopefully that might work.
You're not supposed to cook it first! You're supposed to use it dry!

The Minute rice is partially cooked, which makes it a bit more brittle. Which means less work for your grinder's motor than using raw non-Minute rice.

I guess we should have made that part clear. :blink:

You're not supposed to cook it first! You're supposed to use it dry!

The Minute rice is partially cooked, which makes it a bit more brittle. Which means less work for your grinder's motor than using raw non-Minute rice.

I guess we should have made that part clear. :blink:

lol, I didn't cook it, was straight from the Packet was Uncle Benns as well.

lol, I didn't cook it, was straight from the Packet was Uncle Benns as well.

Then why was it wet?

I'm in Japan and there are all kinds of coffee supply places around. Any suggestions on a Japanese-made, relatively inexpensive burr grinder that I could buy over here?

I'm in Japan and there are all kinds of coffee supply places around. Any suggestions on a Japanese-made, relatively inexpensive burr grinder that I could buy over here?
You don't mention how you'll be brewing, which sometimes can affect your selection. Assuming you want drip coffee, I'd suggest either one of two things: If you only want one or two cups, I recommend the Porlex hand grinder (approx. 3,000JPY). I have one, and it's great. It also works well for espresso grinding, but I'm not so sure about French press. If you want electric, try something like the first two on this page. You don't necessarily have to buy these as they are quite expensive, but ask around for a similar brand and style. They're ugly, I know. I have a Taiwanese version of almost the same grinder (approx. 3,000TWD), and it works well for drip and French press, but I don't think it'd handle espresso very well.

If you're interested, I can send an email to the Taiwanese company and see if they have any distributors in Japan. I've talked with them before, and even visited their factory, so it won't be a big problem. They're pretty nice people to deal with.

You don't mention how you'll be brewing, which sometimes can affect your selection. Assuming you want drip coffee, I'd suggest either one of two things: If you only want one or two cups, I recommend the Porlex hand grinder (approx. 3,000JPY). I have one, and it's great. It also works well for espresso grinding, but I'm not so sure about French press. If you want electric, try something like the first two on this page. You don't necessarily have to buy these as they are quite expensive, but ask around for a similar brand and style. They're ugly, I know. I have a Taiwanese version of almost the same grinder (approx. 3,000TWD), and it works well for drip and French press, but I don't think it'd handle espresso very well.

If you're interested, I can send an email to the Taiwanese company and see if they have any distributors in Japan. I've talked with them before, and even visited their factory, so it won't be a big problem. They're pretty nice people to deal with.

Most days, I use a siphon/vacuum coffee maker. When I don't use that (usually when I'm just making coffee for myself), I use a French press or, less frequently, a dripper.

I think I'd like a hand grinder. I know that Hario makes a couple of contemporary ones, but I wouldn't mind having an old-fashioned mill either. Taiwanese is fine too. I know that a number of older Japanese companies are now made abroad. I'd just like to be able to check it out while I'm here.

One thing I should point out is the handle on my Porlex is starting strip out every so slightly where it fastens on to the shaft. This can lead to it slipping off while I'm grinding. It's not a big deal for me, but it may not be something others are willing to put up with.

If you're looking for old fashioned, check out Orphan Espresso when you get back to the US. They sell new Zassenhaus and Peugeot grinders, but they also restore old ones, as well as some by KyM and PeDe. The older ones have a better reputation for quality than the newer ones.

One thing I should point out is the handle on my Porlex is starting strip out every so slightly where it fastens on to the shaft. This can lead to it slipping off while I'm grinding. It's not a big deal for me, but it may not be something others are willing to put up with.

If you're looking for old fashioned, check out Orphan Espresso when you get back to the US. They sell new Zassenhaus and Peugeot grinders, but they also restore old ones, as well as some by KyM and PeDe. The older ones have a better reputation for quality than the newer ones.

You've been pushing Orphan Espresso a whole lot lately. What are they paying you?

You've been pushing Orphan Espresso a whole lot lately. What are they paying you?
:biggrin1: Nothing, but they should, shouldn't they.

I just like their way of doing things. They take quality, old products that were built to last, and then they give them a second life. In a world where nothing is built to last anymore--or if they are, they're ridiculously priced--it's refreshing. Plus, Doug is very open with his information. He doesn't hoard in an attempt to keep all the profit for himself. He puts all of his restoration tips on his website so that others can do it for themselves if they want, and you frequently see him on coffee-related discussion forums telling people how to fix things. We need more businesses like this.

And, as far as I know, they are still the only ones in the US selling that wonderful, wonderful Porlex hand mill. There is a new version out now (you heard it here first). I have the old one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom