What's new

Grinder Reccomendations for French Press

I thought I'd just chime in that I've been getting some amazing coffee from my french press lately. I think it has something to do with my tracking the amount of time I allow the coffee to brew before pressing down the plunger. I now pour the hot water after it has cooled down slightly into the pitcher and then set the timer for 4 minutes. I plunge it as soon as the timer goes off and I do it slowly. I've also found that I am using a full 4 scoops (coffee gator) for a half carafe full of water. That works out to about 4 cups in a vintage Victor diner mug. I don't pour all of the coffee out of the french press and that leaves most of the fines in the carafe and not in my cup. But most importantly the flavor of the coffee, most notably this morning, was spectacular. I always froth up some milk in a manual frother that adds to the flavor and mouth feel. I've been using La Colombe Corsica beans which is a blend that comes from Brazil, Colomia, Honduras and Mexico and is a dark full bodied roast. My Baratza Virtuoso does a great job of grinding the beans to a fairly uniform consistency which reduces fines to a minimum. It's taken me a long time, really until this morning for me to take a sip of my morning coffee and say to myself "now that is one darn fine cup of coffee." If I can keep this up I may actually squash my desire to buy an expensive expresso machine and all the equipment that goes with that. I'll be up and out of the house too early tomorrow to make my own coffee before we head out for some sailing on the Hudson River but I'll be anxious for Monday morning to roll around so I can see if I can make it two in a row and replicate this mornings brew.

I thought I'd just chime in that I've been getting some amazing coffee from my french press lately. I think it has something to do with my tracking the amount of time I allow the coffee to brew before pressing down the plunger. I now pour the hot water after it has cooled down slightly into the pitcher and then set the timer for 4 minutes. I plunge it as soon as the timer goes off and I do it slowly. I've also found that I am using a full 4 scoops (coffee gator) for a half carafe full of water. That works out to about 4 cups in a vintage Victor diner mug. I don't pour all of the coffee out of the french press and that leaves most of the fines in the carafe and not in my cup. But most importantly the flavor of the coffee, most notably this morning, was spectacular. I always froth up some milk in a manual frother that adds to the flavor and mouth feel. I've been using La Colombe Corsica beans which is a blend that comes from Brazil, Colomia, Honduras and Mexico and is a dark full bodied roast. My Baratza Virtuoso does a great job of grinding the beans to a fairly uniform consistency which reduces fines to a minimum. It's taken me a long time, really until this morning for me to take a sip of my morning coffee and say to myself "now that is one darn fine cup of coffee." If I can keep this up I may actually squash my desire to buy an expensive expresso machine and all the equipment that goes with that. I'll be up and out of the house too early tomorrow to make my own coffee before we head out for some sailing on the Hudson River but I'll be anxious for Monday morning to roll around so I can see if I can make it two in a row and replicate this mornings brew.
Letting the water cool a little before brewing will do a lot to remove the bitterness from your cup. The most bitter compounds inside of the coffee bean are more readily extracted by hotter water. This is why cold brewed coffee tends to be so remarkably smooth. Letting the coffee brew for too long also causes more bitters to be extracted, so your idea of using a timer and going to exactly 4 minutes is right on the money.

I have presses ranging in size from 2 cup all the way to 10 cup.

I brew in the smallest size that I can pour off the full press.

It is nicer to make 2 brews of 2 cups rather than use a 4 cup and let it sit while we drink the first one

It is nicer to make 2 brews of 2 cups rather than use a 4 cup and let it sit while we drink the first one

I always decant my French Press into a thermos. That way, it stays hot without over-extraction; the last cup tastes exactly like the first.

Letting the water cool a little before brewing will do a lot to remove the bitterness from your cup. The most bitter compounds inside of the coffee bean are more readily extracted by hotter water. This is why cold brewed coffee tends to be so remarkably smooth. Letting the coffee brew for too long also causes more bitters to be extracted, so your idea of using a timer and going to exactly 4 minutes is right on the money.

I totally agree. I've had some pretty bitter coffee before I started timing and before I started letting the water cool. And a soft touch on the plunge also makes a difference on the bitterness, or so I'm told. I've learned so much from all of the great people on this great site for which I am eternally grateful.

I have to tell you guys. I am loving my ROK hand grinder. It has changed my life. It is nice and quiet too early sunday mornings.

This Gaggia MDF will do any grind you want. I have had mine for several years now and it does a superlative job. I checked the wholelattelove website where I bought it and it is now on sale for $174.99.

I also bought a Gaggia Classic espresso maker and that is a real workhorse as well. As it turns out it is now on sale for $359.

Unfortunately, I live in an RV and cannot take the espresso maker on the road. I do take the grinder and use a French Press.

I should add I have no affiliation whatsoever with the wholelattelove. That said, it was a good company to deal with.

Top Bottom