What's new

Grinder Reccomendations for French Press

OP... do yourself a favor, buy a thirty dollar Krups and grind medium coarse for your French Press.

Why do I say this? I have a seven hundred dollar eleven year old Macap M4 Italian grinder that I use exclusively for my 1977 Cremina Swiss 67 Lever Espresso machine. You don't need anything fancy or exact for a French Press like you do for a perfect 25 second pull on the Cremina. You only need a coarse grind for the French Press. The Krups I have is twenty six years old. Functions perfectly!

Enjoy.

OP... do yourself a favor, buy a thirty dollar Krups and grind medium coarse for your French Press.

Why do I say this? I have a seven hundred dollar eleven year old Macap M4 Italian grinder that I use exclusively for my 1977 Cremina Swiss 67 Lever Espresso machine. You don't need anything fancy or exact for a French Press like you do for a perfect 25 second pull on the Cremina. You only need a coarse grind for the French Press. The Krups I have is twenty six years old. Functions perfectly!

Enjoy.

I also have the Krups grinder. I would not recommend using it for french press. The grind is inconsistent at best and there is really no way to control how fine the grind is. I agree you don't need a grinder that can handle espresso. I bought a Baratza Virtuoso. It excels at the larger size grind needed for french press and you can see that the size of the grind is consistent. I see very little evidence of fines in my cup using this grinder. When I used my Krups, I always had mud on the bottom of the cup. The Virtuoso is less expensive than those that excel for espresso, probably a little over $200 versus $500 on up for a good espresso grinder.

I guess I like the whole french press experience, to slow down and really enjoy the process, I use this and very rarely if ever had any fines, It gives a nice coarse grind, a bit uneven, but to me you can see and smell the aroma difference between doing it by hand and using a electric grinder

proxy.php

I guess I like the whole french press experience, to slow down and really enjoy the process, I use this and very rarely if ever had any fines, It gives a nice coarse grind, a bit uneven, but to me you can see and smell the aroma difference between doing it by hand and using a electric grinder

proxy.php

What make of grinder is that? It looks gorgeous and if it grinds as good as it looks.....ooo la la.

It has no name and came with the press, it does pretty good grinds easy enough It was a present from some friends of ours, I will see if I can find out the make

I also have the Krups grinder. I would not recommend using it for french press. The grind is inconsistent at best and there is really no way to control how fine the grind is. I agree you don't need a grinder that can handle espresso. I bought a Baratza Virtuoso. It excels at the larger size grind needed for french press and you can see that the size of the grind is consistent. I see very little evidence of fines in my cup using this grinder. When I used my Krups, I always had mud on the bottom of the cup. The Virtuoso is less expensive than those that excel for espresso, probably a little over $200 versus $500 on up for a good espresso grinder.

Sounds like you're grinding too fine with the Krups! For me and others whom I've turned on to using a simple Krups for good French Press coffee... you need to grind coarser to eliminate or keep down the fine grinds in the French Press coffee. The fact that you have 'mud'... means you're grinding way too fine! It's not the Krups causing this!

I could easily adjust my expensive Macap that I use for espresso in my Cremina and get coarser, optimum grinds for the French Press... and I have! I don't because I prefer not to change the settings on the Macap regularly.

I've learned how to grind coarser with the Krups to make fantastic French Press coffee in the Bodum.

:a26:

Last edited:
Sounds like you're grinding too fine with the Krups! For me and others whom I've turned on to using a simple Krups for good French Press coffee... you need to grind coarser to eliminate or keep down the fine grinds in the French Press coffee. The fact that you have 'mud'... means you're grinding way too fine! It's not the Krups causing this!

I could easily adjust my expensive Macap that I use for espresso in my Cremina and get coarser, optimum grinds for the French Press... and I have! I don't because I prefer not to change the settings on the Macap regularly.

I've learned how to grind coarser with the Krups to make fantastic French Press coffee in the Forum.

:a26:

I understand the need to have a courser grind for french press. When I use the Krups, regardless of how long or short I grind the beans, I always end up with some very large pieces and some very fine particles. The Krups does not provide and exacting way to ensure any kind of consistency. Since I don't yet have an espresso machine, I don't have to adjust my Baratza Virtuoso. Mine is set permanently for french press. If I ever get an espresso machine, I'll buy another grinder for espresso, probably the Vario. But I have attempted to use the Krups for french press and it doesn't work for me. That's great that you are happy using it for french press. More power to ya. But it doesn't work to my satisfaction. And with the Virtuoso I don't have to worry about it.

Enjoy.

When I was looking for a grinder for my French press, this ^^^^^ is the advice I got. I bought this grinder, and I love it and it works perfectly. I was ready to spend hundreds, but this was the perfect grinder.

Amazon.com: KRUPS GVX212 Coffee Grinder with Grind Size and Cup Selection and Stainless Steel Flat Burr Grinder, 8-Ounce, Black: Kitchen & Dining

When I use the Krups, regardless of how long or short I grind the beans, I always end up with some very large pieces and some very fine particles. The Krups does not provide and exacting way to ensure any kind of consistency. Since I don't yet have an espresso machine, I don't have to adjust my Baratza Virtuoso. Mine is set permanently for french press. If I ever get an espresso machine, I'll buy another grinder for espresso, probably the Vario.

I use a Vario exclusively for my coffee. I do pour-over, French press, espresso, and occasional Moka and Turkish/Armenian. It is consistent and variable enough to handle all tasks. However, even at a very coarse setting, I still get fines in my French press cup. The 'mud' can be reduced with press and pour technique, but is ALWAYS present.

The best way I've found to remove as much mud as possible is to decant the press pot into a thermos. This way, subsequent cups are hot without over-steeping, and careful pouring will leave most of the mud in the bottom of the thermos; a lot like finishing a wine bottle without getting fines in your glass.

I use a Vario exclusively for my coffee. I do pour-over, French press, espresso, and occasional Moka and Turkish/Armenian. It is consistent and variable enough to handle all tasks. However, even at a very coarse setting, I still get fines in my French press cup. The 'mud' can be reduced with press and pour technique, but is ALWAYS present.

The best way I've found to remove as much mud as possible is to decant the press pot into a thermos. This way, subsequent cups are hot without over-steeping, and careful pouring will leave most of the mud in the bottom of the thermos; a lot like finishing a wine bottle without getting fines in your glass.

I have heard from other people that the Vario isn't as good at the course grind as the Virtuoso. I can't vouch for that since I only have the Virtuoso. What I can say is that I only make french press coffee with the Virtuoso and while I don't pour every last drop of coffee out of the carafe, I finish most of it and find almost no fines in the bottom of my cup when done. It took me a few adjustments on the grind setting to get to that point but now that I'm there, that's where it's staying.

I can recommend, with 3+ years' experience, the Capresso 560.01 steel burr grinder. Set close to the coarsest grind, it is perfect for French press. (Drinking the results now . . . mmmmm.)

Prescio is also steel (I had one for a few years).

All Baratza grinders are steel burr.

Vario is ceramic (with steel optional)

Forte is sold both ways

Forte GP is ceramic

Forte BG is steel

Top Bottom