What's new

Grind Options?? Please weigh in.

A recent acquisition that of course I had to make new scales, polish and start the honing before I noticed the crack....

This is a huge blade. I have a FR 7/8ths and this thing is a good 1/4 inch longer. That being said. I think I may have some options on some custom grinds. I was thinking about a thumb notch right along the crack, but I was hoping the "EXPERTS":lol: could weigh in on potential options to save this butcher's knife. I was also thinking about changing the tip to a spanish point to compliment the thumb notch.

The crack is about 3/16ths from the heal of the blade and is about 1/4 in long.

I say go for it.
The one of mine that got the treatment you are thinking of doing started out like this:
proxy.php

And ended up like this:
proxy.php

Looks like something you could have some fun with. I would take a photo and do some cutting in photoshop or something to see what it could look like (of course I do the same thign my a drawing of my furniture and livign spaces to plan out new arrangements). Play around a bit.

Yes, Yes, YES

That blade is what my minds eye was seeing. Thanks for the inspiration Fnord. Great suggestion....any others???

Actually, looking at your blade, I would be tempted to do a french/oblique point the same radius as your thumbnotch/shoulder.

So is that an invitation??? I had just drawn exactly that. Oblique definitely would compliment the notch.

I like your option #1,a very unique outline, yet maintains the straight tang. Classy!

Option #3 is nice as well, but a thumbnotch that far forward will make holding the razor a bit odd.

I took your option #3, and added a recurve, and then a thumbnotch that follows under the maker's mark. Try that out-hold the razor as you normally would and put your finger under the maker's mark there. Does the razor feel balanced at that point?

I like your option #1,a very unique outline, yet maintains the straight tang. Classy!

Option #3 is nice as well, but a thumbnotch that far forward will make holding the razor a bit odd.

I took your option #3, and added a recurve, and then a thumbnotch that follows under the maker's mark. Try that out-hold the razor as you normally would and put your finger under the maker's mark there. Does the razor feel balanced at that point?
i like that with the top half of the barber notch coming off. on the phone now so i can't edit it together though. might make the tip weaker depending on the grind though. just getting into this side of things.

I had a similar crack in the Daniel Peres I'm restoring, here's what I did:
attachment.php

Crack doesn't really show in that photo, but I ground it back to this:
attachment.php

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I am going with Seraphim's suggestion for the heal. I was holding the razor and the balance is significantly better with the thumbnotch below the manufactureres markings. Especially with a blade this big and heavy. Also losing the notch in front. Going with a quasi oblique tip to match the heal.

I'll post a pic when complete.

Actually, looking at your blade, I would be tempted to do a french/oblique point the same radius as your thumbnotch/shoulder.

I've been working on a pair with that shape. They're coming along nicely.
I'll post them when they're done. I'm curious if our mind's eyes comes up with anything near the same results.

Post a photo for all to see. It's done and looks AWESOME!!! Can't wait to cut carpet with it!!!!

Top Bottom