What's new

Grind differences?

I used my extra hollow for the second time today and decided I didn’t care for that thin of a blade. I have no idea why. It shaved well and the edge was comfortable enough but it felt unfamiliar and was much too noisy. I will stick to heavier grinds.

Every one of us is different. I love the singing of a very thin blade as it slices through the stubble of my beard. It is music to my ears. Of my 25+ razors, I have only two quarter hollow grinds and they are two of my least favorites.

I used my extra hollow for the second time today and decided I didn’t care for that thin of a blade. I have no idea why. It shaved well and the edge was comfortable enough but it felt unfamiliar and was much too noisy. I will stick to heavier grinds.
I guess I am surprised about the noise comment. Me and JR like a good "report" as he refers to them.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Every one of us is different. I love the singing of a very thin blade as it slices through the stubble of my beard. It is music to my ears. Of my 25+ razors, I have only two quarter hollow grinds and they are two of my least favorites.
Exactly why different grinds are made.

i just tuned up a Genco master barber
research says it has a full concave grind
wow!! the blade is THIN! it feels delicate, and is finicky honing
i had to look up concave grind
in my opinion my razor's grind looks more like extra hollow and not what i have found in diagrams

I am new to SR, very limited experience, compared to dovo special/full hollow
the shave feels very close, and blade felt very flexible, it definitely takes a different hand/skill set vs full hollow, not sure why but i like the way it feels

i am curious to hear what the full concave users have to say

best picture of grind i could find....
proxy.php

Last edited:
i just tuned up a Genco master barber
research says it has a full concave grind
wow!! the blade is THIN! it feels delicate, and is finicky honing
i had to look up concave grind
in my opinion my razor's grind looks more like extra hollow and not what i have found in diagrams

I am new to SR, very limited experience, compared to dovo special/full hollow
the shave feels very close, and blade felt very flexible, it definitely takes a different hand/skill set vs full hollow, not sure why but i like the way it feels

i am curious to hear what the full concave users have to say

I love using razors with full hollow, extra hollow, and bellied hollow blades. However, when shaving, honing, and stropping, you have to remember that the bevel is thin and flexible. If you apply too much pressure to the edge, it will flex. A light touch is needed. Once you get that concept, they are great razors.

I looked and I had not commented on this thread since obtaining the Wade and Butch wedge. I honed it with a layer of Scotch electrical tape on lapping films. Many do not care for these razors, but I am not one of them. Even with some tip abuse, this razor was easily made shave ready and shave ready it was. Got a perfect result with two passes. Very comfortable and effective. Heavy duty. :)

I prefer hollow but have tried a plethora of grinds. I get the same results with all but I like the tactile feedback of hollows better.

In general wedges are more tolerant to bad prep or lather then hollows. That is the only difference I have noticed. In a pinch I have used full wedges with just a thin lather from any old bar soap and get a good shave. Would never attempt this with a extra hollow.

YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer hollow but have tried a plethora of grinds. I get the same results with all but I like the tactile feedback of hollows better.

In general wedges are more tolerant to bad prep or lather then hollows. That is the only difference I have noticed. In a pinch I have used full wedges with just a thin lather from any old bar soap and get a good shave. Would never attempt this with a extra hollow.

YMMV

Interesting. I'll have to see if I get the same experiences with a wedge. That said, poor quality soap or just having water may have made it a more practical grind. Mine has the famous script..."if you lather well I'll shave well".

Interesting. I'll have to see if I get the same experiences with a wedge. That said, poor quality soap or just having water may have made it a more practical grind. Mine has the famous script..."if you lather well I'll shave well".

My dad used to use a Union cutlery Spike to shave with at deer camp. For soap he used a wet washcloth lathered up with Lifebouy. When the lather started to dry he just rubbed his face again with the soapy washcloth.

I’ve done the same thing with success and a couple of wedges. Didn’t work so well with full hollows. YMMV of course.

I love using razors with full hollow, extra hollow, and bellied hollow blades. However, when shaving, honing, and stropping, you have to remember that the bevel is thin and flexible. If you apply too much pressure to the edge, it will flex. A light touch is needed. Once you get that concept, they are great razors.

It took me a while to figure that out .... was saying to myself why is it not getting sharper.... I felt like I was moving backwards for a bit....

There are several craftsmen who produce 6/8" and 7/8" blades with a bellied grind that works quite well with a tough beard. Some are: Ulrik of Koraat, Vic or Bluesman Blades, and Brian of Brown Razor Works. There may be others as well.
Read about honing with sintetic stones and having bad cutting edge. But thus not the point. Like this not the point the brand. The grind concern a type of ground blade! Thinner means sharper and more resistence in cutting beard until reaching the point extreme on the contrary wedge. We can not compare a Suv with a standard car or a jeep. Quality and honing are others aspects. Really no ine in the web speaks about the possibility to have a close shave like a full howoll with others grinds! Even if possible we teach the target differently! We are not professionals and the same razor can achives different performance but a mediocre or bad razor remains so. Personally I studied moves by professionals and the difference is big. I copied that moves but a straight razor needs also honing and one should study also that but the web lacks of informations about all. I discovered by myself a thin blade is not the problem but the micro teeth correct on the edge. We should observe and ask to professional of razors not to professional knives doing also razors!

Branching off topic a bit but.....
If I have very coarse hair, but have been experiencing great shaves with a Shavette, should my focus still be on a 1/4 or at least, 1/2 hollow razor, for those times where heavy growth needs to be dealt with?

I personally dont think it makes a difference. I have coarse hair and a near wedge, 1/4 and extra full super woth great edges all work great.

Thanks.
I've read this a few times actually, but it's weird that there are different grinds. Being that it doesn't seem to make a difference, I'll remain to be confused as to why the option even exists, or how it came about in the first place. Haha.

I reckon I'm just going to grab something and go from there.

Best way to do it, start somewhere. Give it a solid chance, then move to something else and do the same. Experiment a little with honing/finishing on each as you go. I'm still experimenting myself, but I have found that weight has a great deal to do with my experience besides grind. And I like different blades for completely different experiences.

Lather, shave, repeat.

but it's weird that there are different grinds. Being that it doesn't seem to make a difference, I'll remain to be confused as to why the option even exists, or how it came about in the first place

it def makes a difference in feel or honing ease for the home user or barber.

Arises for ways to do differently/better/market novelty Like anything else.

way quicker to hone a full hollow than a near wedge.

i know ive heard of folks not liking the flex of a full hollow but i like it a lot, just as much as i like the softness i feel in an old sheffield near wedge.

Not everyone wants to drive a Ferrari. Not everyone wants to drive a Suburban. And not everyone wants to drive a Prius. No one car is the perfect car for everyone. It's all a matter of personal preference.

You skin, beard, lathering style, shaving technique, face shape, etc., combined the razor point and grind style will expose your own preference.

But ... That means you have to try them ALL. :eek2:

Been a full/extra hollow grind user since I started on this journey but recently had the opportunity to hone/shave near wedges (Joseph Rodgers & George Wostenholm). Now I am going to need more time and an open mind to honestly arrive at an answer but the past 2 shaves with these wedges seriously impressed me. I am not sure if it’s my honing or shaving technique that improved over time since previous experience but wedges have something different over hollows, like I said need more time to know.

Wedges seem to be more forgiving with a flat angle, don't mind additional pressure and somehow help flatten/stretches the skin. ATG on the tough areas also seem to be easier.

I do not hone on tape ever...

Also to my surprise I received a W&B full hollow, I did not know they made razor other that wedge. I keep learning everyday.

Last edited:
Top Bottom