What's new

Grind differences?

New to straight razors, forgive me if this is insulting but I only have any (very limited) experience on a double duck. My understanding is it's full hollow. I inherited the razor but have been considering getting my own once I feel I know enough about everything. So one thing I've wondered is what do the different grinds actually do? Half hollow, full, wedge, I know what they are but what's the purpose of one over another? I see some of these custom blades and just drool but don't understand much of why they are how they are.

grind1.png

Yes, I know that part but what are the differences in performance between them? How does each affect the shave?

If you like audible feedback go hollow, if you hate it then 1/4 hollow is your huckleberry. To me, a thinner grind is more lively. Over time and many honings a thinner grind will maintain a smaller bevel reveal. Most of what I call half hollow will have the shave characteristics of a full hollow, but still have a bit of mass. Though the full hollow grind was considered a major advancement in razor technology at the time it became popular, it is mostly personal preference.

Yes, I know that part but what are the differences in performance between them? How does each affect the shave?
Oh, well, I’ve noticed a difference in the feel between the barbers notched, wedge type and the full hollow. I can use more pressure with the wedge more even though both are similarly shave ready.

Last edited:
i think the performance aspect of grind is personal and very much affected by size and balance but also determined by honing. honing wedges can be tedious if they have bad geometry.

A lot has to do with the toughness of your beard and your preferences. I have a tough beard and get the best shaves with hollow grinds, extra hollow, or bellied hollow grinds. I have one quarter-hollow blade and I can get a decent shave with it, but will never buy another one. I like my blades to sing as it slices through my stubble.

One problem with the very thin grinds is that the edge is easily damaged, so you have to be careful not to apply excess pressure when honing and stropping.

If your beard is not so tough, you can probably use anything, A half-hollow may be a good place to start.

For me a fuller hollow has a livelier, edgier feel - more personality.

A wedgier grind has a duller more positive feel.

But the steel, edge and blade depth makes a difference as well.

A stainless blade feels firmer and more positive. A softer steel like vintage sheffield feels very different to a harder steel in the same size and grind.

I have a full hollow ground Swedish blade that I honed with a very sharp edge finished on diamond paste. It was horrible. Rehoned it with a coticule and it was very pleasant.

Grind
Blade depth
Steel
Edge (natural, synthetic, diamond... Grit level)

You can combine these factors to tune to your favourite feel. That's the best part of straight razor shaving - the degree of tailoring.

Full-hollow razors demand more attention to the blade angle, whereas thicker grinds are more forgiving. My beard is pretty tough, so I find the fuller hollow grinds to give me a closer shave used regularly. But when I haven't shaved in a while, a 1/4-hollow or wedge grind is preferable. With the heavier grinds, the weight of the razor is also a factor, there being a sort of built-in pressure that can be enjoyable.

For a desert island weekend set, I think I'd want two 5/8 full-hollow razors and one 6/8 1/4-hollow razor.

Full-hollow razors demand more attention to the blade angle, whereas thicker grinds are more forgiving. My beard is pretty tough, so I find the fuller hollow grinds to give me a closer shave used regularly. But when I haven't shaved in a while, a 1/4-hollow or wedge grind is preferable. With the heavier grinds, the weight of the razor is also a factor, there being a sort of built-in pressure that can be enjoyable.

For a desert island weekend set, I think I'd want two 5/8 full-hollow razors and one 6/8 1/4-hollow razor.
From my perspective, this is pretty much spot on. I tend to find blades towards the wedge end of the spectrum to be more forgiving, though somewhat less close shavers; I tend to favor them somewhat for head shaves. Hollower grinds tend to shave a bit closer for me, but slightly less forgiving and more sensitive to blade angle. I suspect these differences have at least something to do with blade flex, the hollower grinds flexing somewhat more and getting closer to the contours of the face/head; this also might explain why they're more sensitive to blade angle.

I hate to admit it, but I have a cheap Dovo "Best" half-hollow ground that really sits in a sweet spot for me and shaves better than many nicer and more expensive blades. It did take a bit of honing to get it there though.

A 7/8" full hollow gives you a weight similar to a 6/8" quarter hollow, so for me, it is the best of both worlds.

Just keep an eye on the blade angle then. For me, it's a bit hard to peer over the dashboard much beyond 6/8.

I generally set the razor angle by determining how far the spine is away from my face. I hate using a 5/8" razor as the spine is only about 5 mm wide, so setting the angle is more difficult. On a 7/8" blade, the spine is about 7 mm wide, so I find it easier to adjust the angle. To each his own. If you shave the stache area, using a 7/8" razor is difficult; but I sport a mustache so that is not an issue for me.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I rarely visually check blade angle the distance from spine to face changes as you move around curved areas such as your jaw bone. The edge angle has just become a matter of feel.

Right now I use a 5/8 half hollow, and when experimenting with a 5/8 full hollow that thing had a hard time going through my beard. A heavier blade is great for plowing through tough stubble.

Right now I use a 5/8 half hollow, and when experimenting with a 5/8 full hollow that thing had a hard time going through my beard. A heavier blade is great for plowing through tough stubble.

There are several craftsmen who produce 6/8" and 7/8" blades with a bellied grind that works quite well with a tough beard. Some are: Ulrik of Koraat, Vic or Bluesman Blades, and Brian of Brown Razor Works. There may be others as well.

There are several craftsmen who produce 6/8" and 7/8" blades with a bellied grind that works quite well with a tough beard. Some are: Ulrik of Koraat, Vic or Bluesman Blades, and Brian of Brown Razor Works. There may be others as well.

I've heard great things about Brian Brown. Wacker makes an amazing 7/8, and my WB FBU, Torrey 7/8 rattler, and Reynolds near wedge all need scales before they get to the front line.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I used my extra hollow for the second time today and decided I didn’t care for that thin of a blade. I have no idea why. It shaved well and the edge was comfortable enough but it felt unfamiliar and was much too noisy. I will stick to heavier grinds.

Top Bottom