What's new

Grim Razors

I recently got one of these and really like it. I told the company what I thought. They asked if they could use my thoughts and feedback, I said sure. I was asked if I would share with others, they didn't have to ask.

There's things I'd change, sure. I warned them I would be completely honest.

So I recently .acquired a new razor. .A Grim razor. . . . .This is a 6/8 round point. .Made in USA. .

I was pretty skeptical at first about getting one. I've had too many junky pieces of non-shaving steel come across the honing bench. .But, after some interaction with the company, I decided to try one out. .They half-heartedly in passing said to let them know what I thought. .I don't do full fledged reviews very often, and not certain they bargained for this but here goes... .bwahahhahaha.... .

There's a few new production razors on the market today. .Should money and time allow I'd like to try others such as Hart and Portland Razor Co. .However, for one reason or another, I chose Grim to start. .

I've had some Harts come across the bench for honing and do enjoy them, so maybe in part I wanted something I've not yet tried. .I've had a number of handmade razors come across the bench, many of which have been junk. .I wasn't too sure if this was going to be good or bad.....

So, the package came. .I opened the box and pulled out the razor. .

Nice and tight in the pins. .Scales...went with carbon fiber. .I think Rosewood woud have looked a bit better, but don't mind these either. .Hindsight or somethinglike that, right?! .They're made well. .Exceptional quality on the scales, Cut and finished well, durable, all that. .Not flimsly. .Nice size. .Not too thick either. .Real Carbon fiber scales..

The blade. .Hmm... .Damn. .This thing is nice! .It's not a gawdy piece It's pretty simplicsic in design. .Just a 6/8 round point. .Hollow ground. .Now it doesn't ting and ping like some hollow grounds. .It has a tougher feel to it. .A hard steel it is. .Possibly this is the result of the heat treat? The type of steel? I don't know. .

The logo on the tang is well done. .I like it. .I could leave it at that, and would prefer not to have the logo on the blade. .I find it a bit redundant and it takes away from the beauty of the blade itself. .It is laser etched and done well, however. .Meaning it should last..

The name, Grim, as in Grim Reaper....meh. .Kind of silly, morbid...but I do hand it to them....The name sticks. .It's not one you'll soon forget. .

It has a very nice feel and weight. .Nice satin finish to it. .Everything on it is perfectly asymmetrical. .Man, they did an incredible job! .Excellent quality on fit and finnish. .Nice lines, nice attention to detail. .

No jimps. .I think I'd like to have some, but I like the simplicity of it as well. .

I think they need to offer more otpions. .Jimps. .Barbers notch, no logo option, spanish points, etc. .I believe at times they've had some of these things on limited runs. .

Shave ready. .It is said to come shave ready form the factory. .Sadly, I could not pass it as shave ready. .Not a big deal. .Most razos are not sold shave ready... .I make them shave ready...it's what I do...so I did what I do... .

I took it to the stones. .Test shaved again. .Was MUCH better but I felt like it could be enhanced a little more. .The shave was not totally where I wanted it to be. .Then I remembered the steel is a little harder, so probably will take a little longer to bring the edges' full potential out. .However, it'lll likely last a lot longer... .

I've heard of their smolder scent before. .So, i wanted to try it. .

Soap. .Great soap, easy lather, nice cushion...all around excellent soap. .The soap I find is scented a tad differently than the aftershave. .I find it a little weak in scent by comparision to the aftershave. .Personally, I don't care about soap scents... .They only smell during the shave, so it's never been a big concern to me. .

Aftershave... .Okay, first thing's first....this bottle needs to be bigger! .Fix that! .Pronto. .Costs too much for this size. .

Scent...smolder... Lockhart's makes a hair grease scented fire and brimstone. .It's as if someone took a log off a fire. .I was sort of expecting something like this... .I get more of a sweet vanilla bourbon type scent. .I can't put my finger on it but truth is....I really like it! .a Lot. .The scent lingers for quite some time. .Excellent longevity. .I want to try their other scent next. .

It has a slight burn but excellent conditioning properties. .Really feels great on the skin. .Home run on this stuff. .Strike out on size/ price. .

Razor price... .So, compare others to this one...This, for what you get in way of options seemedd a bit overpriced. .For a long time I felt it'd be better priced say, around $150. .A 7/8 may be better to get $199. .I battled and battled this in my mind. .But, did a little more digging. .The company uses top quality materials. .State of the art equipment. .Made in USA. .They hired some well-known razor makers as consultants and have a decent sized staff which they pay, likely a decnet wage. .To cover some overhead, help American workers and ensure quality, a few exra bucks is worth every penny in my opionion. .The price is $199. .So, it's truly not badly priced in comparison to some others. .Right on par, really. .

The Shave....That is, after all, the sole purpose of a razor isn't it? I honed it up again and the resulting shave was phenomenal. Just plowed right through 3 days growth with ease and comfort..

I'm undecided on how I feel about the scales. It seems the pivot hole makes them a bit too close to the finger groove on the tang.

Interesting write up, thanks for it. I had looked at these a while ago but never jumped.

The brand doesn't seem to get much love around here. I wonder why, and hope others will opine.

I do know that Maria Arman makes their soap. I'm a big fan of her soaps, haven't tried this version yet

proxy.php

Love the smolder scent as well, I have the soap, pre-shave and aftershave in smolder as well as cinder. I get way more compliments from the ladies with the smolder but the cinder is good just to mix things up since I love the qualities of the soap and aftershave. Not sold on preshaves in general so I'm not sure if I'll keep buying it, maybe just for shaves with heavier growth. Also agree about the price/size of the aftershave and preshave when you shop around even compared to other smaller artisan products.

Nice review Rick,

The etching is cartoonish IMO, the scales look good but I would prefer to have the edges softened some.

Looking forward to further testing

I am wondering if the edges can only be softened so far due to the nature of the carbon fibre? I agree with you on that point, but would put up with those, too. VERY nice look.

Thanks for sharing. I agree with Doc in regards to the etchings.

Looks very plain, like a typical 6/8 Solingen. That's not a bad thing, though!

You made excellent points about the logistics of domestic manufacturing.

Good to finally see a new review of these guys.

Are you talking about the edges of the scales literally being rounded almost like we do when chamffering the edges of our stones?
For aesthetics it'd be cool. However I'm not sure it'd make much difference in comfort. I dont find the flat edge of the scales to be uncomfortable. I do find them a tad thick at the pivot hole. Like if it was set back 1/8" it'd be great. Don't think it'd mess with balance either.

Yep like a chamfer on the angles of the scales or even just a slight rounding off. A little more taper on the pivot is probably not bad

Yeah I would definitely like to see it kind of stand out right there where the pivot is it just kind of ups trucks that finger groove too much for me. Not horribly and it's not like a deal breaker or anything like that but he was everything else being as good as it is that would make it even better. For me at least. And I really don't have a large hand and find it a little obstructive.

Of the 3 I have seen, 1 needed a lot of tape and I sent it back, the other 2 were fine and honed up with no issues. I have heard they were a work in progress up til recently. Nice looker though and the scales are nice as well.

Top Bottom