What's new

Grilled Salmon Recipe -Fool Proof and Simple

I am not sure if this is the proper sub-forum as grilling is not often considered fine dining but, I would like to share a grilled salmon recipe that is simple, delicious, and virtually fool proof.

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 pounds salmon fillets

1/3 cup soy sauce

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup water

1/4 cup vegetable oil

lemon pepper to taste

garlic powder to taste

salt to taste

DIRECTIONS:

1. Season salmon fillets with lemon pepper, garlic powder, and salt

2. In a small bowl, stir together soy sauce, brown sugar, water, and vegetable oil until sugar is dissolved. Place fish in a nonreactive (e.g. Pyrex) container with the soy sauce mixture, turn to coat and seal with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours

3. Preheat grill for medium heat

4. Lightly oil grill grate. Place salmon on the grill (skin side down) and discard marinade. Close the lid of the grill and cook for 6-8 minutes. Flip the fish and cook for an additional 6-8 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.

Interesting recipe... you might want to consider copying it into the B&B Cookbook (stickied in this forum). Salmon is a favorite of mine although living in an apartment I don't really have the opportunity to grill it. Might try it on the Foreman sometime.

Thanks for sharing. You have given me some new ideas.

I do something similar, except I use balsamic vinegar and either honey or molasses. Salmon has a flavor that compliments and even stands up to strong flavoring.

You can also poach the salmon in a mixture like this. Easy to make and fast, easy clean up after a busy day.

Thank you...I did not realize there was a B & B cookbook. I will copy and paste the recipe there.

You could probably use this same recipe to pan fry the salmon. However I try to avoid cooking fish inside because the oils seem to permeate the house.

As a side note, I always make extra. The leftover salmon makes a great lunch the next day. I also usually marinate the salmon overnight. That way, when you get home from work you can have dinner ready in 16 minutes flat.

I am not sure if this is the proper sub-forum as grilling is not often considered fine dining ...

Anyone who doesn't consider grilled food fine dining hasn't had properly grilled food. After all, cooking of any kind is just applying heat to food. Whether that is via sauté, flambé, baked, boiled, smoked, or grilled makes no difference.

Anyway, thanks for the recipe. I don't eat fish myself, but the wife loves it. I'll hold on to this one.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Nothing is foolproof.

The problem with grilling salmon, as with so many other things, is that you only get one shot to do it right. There is a small window of perfection that relies on an elusive combination of time and heat. Everyone's grill is different, as is eveyone's concept of medium.

Salmon is served skin side down, so the presentation side should be cooked first. The tough part is timing it perfectly, as you only have one chance to flip it. If it's not charred enough, tough noogies. If it's burnt, ditto. The grates should be perfectly clean and oiled immediately before the fish is placed. I find Trader Joe's conola oil spray does a great job, if you're not scared by the enormous flareup. I try to cook it over very high high for roughly 4-5 minutes depending on the size of the filet. Check the edges of the flesh side for telltale signs that it's ready to flip. If you're really brave, you can rotate it 60-90 degrees at the 3 minute mark for those lovely crosshatch grill marks, but if you attempt to move the fish before it starts to set you'll make a mess of it. When the first side is sufficiently charred, cut the heat and flip it skin side down. Cover and allow to bake another 4-5 minutes until not quite medium and the skin has crisped. Remove and allow to stand at least several minutes before serving. Salmon is one of the better fishes to grill.

Nice recipe!

You can also do this (or pretty much any kind of fish, I have a ton of steelhead filets in the freezer right now so that's what's cooking around here currently) on a cedar/maple/whatever plank (if you shop around you can find them cheap - the markup on these is astounding; or, if you're an enterprising type you can make your own at the lumber yard for a few pennies).

• Soak the plank for about an hour or so, then put it on the covered hot grill on low for about 10 minutes to heat it up.
  • Meanwhile, lightly brush the fish with oil on both sides, season with salt & pepper. You can of course add any kind of marinade/glaze/herbs/whatever.
  • Then, put the fish on the plank and grill for about 15-20 minutes or so (exact time depends on the thickness, fish, etc.). I like to turn up the heat quite a bit, but you can also leave it low and just keep it covered (I find you don't really get more smoke flavor one way or another). Brush with glaze or marinade if you like.

Remove the fish from the plank with a spatula and throw it on a plate - you're done! Completely painless. Remember to toss the plank.... :001_smile

You can also do this (or pretty much any kind of fish, I have a ton of steelhead filets in the freezer right now so that's what's cooking around here currently) on a cedar/maple/whatever plank (if you shop around you can find them cheap - the markup on these is astounding; or, if you're an enterprising type you can make your own at the lumber yard for a few pennies).

• Soak the plank for about an hour or so, then put it on the covered hot grill on low for about 10 minutes to heat it up.
  • Meanwhile, lightly brush the fish with oil on both sides, season with salt & pepper. You can of course add any kind of marinade/glaze/herbs/whatever.
  • Then, put the fish on the plank and grill for about 15-20 minutes or so (exact time depends on the thickness, fish, etc.). I like to turn up the heat quite a bit, but you can also leave it low and just keep it covered (I find you don't really get more smoke flavor one way or another). Brush with glaze or marinade if you like.

Remove the fish from the plank with a spatula and throw it on a plate - you're done! Completely painless. Remember to toss the plank.... :001_smile

Thanks for the instructions. I bought a few planks but have not used them yet. I will give it a shot.

Nothing is foolproof.

The problem with grilling salmon, as with so many other things, is that you only get one shot to do it right. There is a small window of perfection that relies on an elusive combination of time and heat. Everyone's grill is different, as is eveyone's concept of medium.

Salmon is served skin side down, so the presentation side should be cooked first. The tough part is timing it perfectly, as you only have one chance to flip it. If it's not charred enough, tough noogies. If it's burnt, ditto. The grates should be perfectly clean and oiled immediately before the fish is placed. I find Trader Joe's conola oil spray does a great job, if you're not scared by the enormous flareup. I try to cook it over very high high for roughly 4-5 minutes depending on the size of the filet. Check the edges of the flesh side for telltale signs that it's ready to flip. If you're really brave, you can rotate it 60-90 degrees at the 3 minute mark for those lovely crosshatch grill marks, but if you attempt to move the fish before it starts to set you'll make a mess of it. When the first side is sufficiently charred, cut the heat and flip it skin side down. Cover and allow to bake another 4-5 minutes until not quite medium and the skin has crisped. Remove and allow to stand at least several minutes before serving. Salmon is one of the better fishes to grill.

Nice recipe!

+1 on the Trader Joe's Conola Oil Spray.

I grill skin side down first to help insure the meat does not stick to the grates. Once the fish is cooked a bit it is less likely to stick and fall apart.

I have made this recipe dozens of times and the salmon has turned out great every time. Of course it is not foolproof. Lets just call it fool resistant. :biggrin:

Regarding plank cooking, don't forget to have a bucket of water on hand to toss the smouldering plank into before it goes in the trash or wherever.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Interesting recipe... you might want to consider copying it into the B&B Cookbook (stickied in this forum). Salmon is a favorite of mine although living in an apartment I don't really have the opportunity to grill it. Might try it on the Foreman sometime.

After grilling, my favorite way to prepare salmon is to sear it in a hot pan. You may want to open a window.

I grill salmon fillets on a tinfoil "tray", using a Weber kettle, high direct heat.

The salmon gets salted, then I spoon on a lemon juice - butter- garlic- mayo- mixture, throw a little apple wood on the coals for smoke, and grill for about eight minutes with the top in the kettle, all vents open.

The fish is done when it flakes when pressed with the thumb, and feels firm.

The high heat makes the skin stick to the foil as you serve.

I also smoke salmon on the Weber, but that's a whole different kettle of fish. :wink2:

I use a grill lifter kind of like this when I'm using oil spray on a hot grill. It hooks into the grids, and they can be lifted away from the heat to spray them to avoid the 'flamethrower' effect.

Works great, and cheap!

or you can cheat by getting one of those japanese fish grills they sell at your asian mart (daiso comes to mind). If you have a gas stove and don't mind the mess, do it like the japanese, do it over the open flame :)

I grew up on the river, so lots of salmon and steelhead hit the grill. I rarely order salmon from a restaraunt, because I like it my way better.

How I do it:
skin side down on foil. When the flesh cleanly pulls away from the skin it's time to flip. Scrap of the gray fat that lies between the skin and meat (it's very fishy). Sprinkle with the spices of your choosing (salt, pepper, fennel, basil, etc.) and drizzle with honey. Remove from grill when it's medium rare and serve.

It doesn't plate as nicely as a solid hunk bound by skin, but it does taste much better without all that fishy-tasting fat.

Top Bottom