What's new

Grilled oysters, anyone?

I'm planning on getting a few dozen oysters for Thanksgiving and thought grilling them might be a nice touch. There doesn't seem to be a consensus among the on-line recipes I've looked at as to whether they should be shucked before grilling or not. Some recipes say the shells will open on their own, others say to pop 'em open first. In lieu of a clear and decisive opinion in the recipes I've found, I figured I'd ask the cultured, sophisticated, and culinary-minded folks of the forum I've come to rely on so much lately.

I'm not allowed to post on "Food and Wine" anymore, though, so I guess I'll ask you guys. :001_tt2:

Have any of you tried grilling them? What successes and challenges have you had? What sauces are good to use? What pitfalls should I avoid? What smoke, if any? (I have cherry, apple, pecan, mesquite, oak and hickory easily available.)

Keep the shells intact. As soon as they crack open a little and bubble, theyre done. This is my favorite way to eat oysters.

I have not done oysters, but I grill clams quite often. I just throw em on the grill in the shell. Once any Bi-Valve is cooked, the adductor muscle loosens and the shell pops open. Its a handy internal timer. Once the clams are done I take them off so they do not lose the juice. Which would be especially important with the oyster. You dont want to lose the oyster liquor. I would serve with a little lemon and maybe some horse radish.

As a Oyster lover from the Gulf of Mexico put them on a grill til they open it only takes a few moments(5-10) Beware the saltwater will eat up any tin in the grill if a gas grill you will be replacing the burners in the Spring from this adventure. Make a fire and put an expanded metal grate over it to use if you have one available.

I konw the originators of chargrilled oysters-Drago's in New Orleans cooks them on the half shell, but I have friends who do it the other way as well. If you are proficient opening them then do it on the half shell, otherwise save your hands.

Put them on the half shell. And really you don't need a pan ,just set them on the grill and cook away,that's what I do.

Thanks for the feedback, Gents!

Based on replies here and some more research, I'll go ahead and grill them in their full shells. I'll be using lump hardwood charcoal laced with a little bit of pecan wood. For sauces, I'll mix up a little chimichurri and have the standard lemons, Tabasco, and crackers. SWMBO likes a mignonette when I shuck 'em raw, but I don't think a sauce that light will stand up to the smokiness of grilled oysters.

I was at the Home Depot yesterday, and they had a flexible grill basket on clearance. It's like a fish basket, except the sides are made out of the kind of flexible steel links that you'd see as bed springs on a cot. I think if I leave it closed, I can put a dozen oysters and a time on it and the mesh will cradle them as I lift them off the grill, saving my arms from reaching over the grate to lift the oysters by hand (won't risk using tongs--too big a chance of losing the juice).

Azmark, I'll be at the Maine Ave fish market at 8AM on Thursday to buy the goods. Think you can make it over by then?

Top Bottom