What's new

Grill presses - anyone use 'em?

These things are my new favourite kitchen tool. I picked up an iron griddle pan on sale around Christmas time and it came with a matching, very heavy grill press lid. The searing power is awesome and it makes one hell of a grilled cheese sandwich, but my favourite is boneless chicken thighs hammered thin and cooked quickly. Just heat the press and pan until both smoking hot and it'll cook the cut through in a couple of minutes tops. Just bought a round press to go with my Lodge skillet :thumbup1: if you've not tried them, I'd highly recommend you do

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yup...SWMBO wanted a bacon press so I got her a Lodge one for Christmas. Works great. Heat up the press in the cast iron skillet while you are heating the skillet, put bacon in and put press on top and let it cook. I don't think I've done a grilled cheese sammich yet, but that is on my to do list.

Need to try it on the charcoal grill on some stuff also.
proxy.php

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I find it a bit strange to find myself in the land of George Forman grills and Panini presses. Yes cooking from both sides works great.

I come from an era of large flat top grills in restaurants. Burgers, hotdogs, grilled cheese, pancakes, etc. all done on these large surfaces. I can't find a picture just now but many had an area with a matching opposing surface spring loaded surface that could be pulled down to grill the other side.

Went through several "Georges," upgraded to an "Emeril by T-fal" grill & am quite happy with it. Varying configurations for different cooking styles, variable heat control, removable/washable heating plates etc.

hummm.... I've got a square press....

... I see I need a round one too ...

moved from pan bacon to oven; solved the flatness problem there, but using it for quick cooking chicken? THAT has possibilities I'm sure earn points for moisture in the meat at service!

Haha, do it ;) the square press fits my grill pan exactly and weighs more than the pan itself by quite a margin. The round press doesn't perfectly fit the lodge and weighs just shy of 2lbs, but if I want a toasted chicken sandwich it's all good!

I have one with grill ribs on both the pan and press. I love it for cooking steaks indoors. Get the skillet wicked hot with the press sitting in it, put in the heavily seasoned steak, 7 minutes and then into the oven for another 10. Perfect rare steak every time.

I find it a bit strange to find myself in the land of George Forman grills and Panini presses. Yes cooking from both sides works great.

I come from an era of large flat top grills in restaurants. Burgers, hotdogs, grilled cheese, pancakes, etc. all done on these large surfaces. I can't find a picture just now but many had an area with a matching opposing surface spring loaded surface that could be pulled down to grill the other side.

That George Foreman grill does wonders on my frozen chicken, it cooks it in half the time and drip away all the Fat for better healthy eating.

Top Bottom