What's new

Grey Ink. Anyone use it?

I've been thinking of picking up some Grey ink only because I don't have any. But I'm hesitant because I feel like grey would be just a washed out black and not look good. I suppose with the right paper it could look nice.

For example, I use brown ink on ivory paper and it looks amazing.

So my wise and learned grey ink fans, what do you use and why?

Just picked up some Lamy Crystal "Agate" for use in my new 2022 Ltd Ed "White Silver" Al -Star and like it just fine.
See post # 51 below. I suppose you could dilute some on hand black ink for proof of concept.

Absolutely, I use grey inks a lot. They don’t look like watered-down blacks - they look like greys. I find it a nice colour to write with - more distinctive than blue or black, but still versatile and professional.

Diamine Graphite is a favourite - it has a lovely 4B soft pencil-like quality. Taccia Usuzumi is a darker, charcoal shade and it can be mistaken for black, but it has a lovely quality that pure black inks lack. There are many medium and lighter grey inks too - Pilot Iroshizuku Kiri-Same and Fuyu-Syogun are popular light greys that are still legible. I like Aurora Grigio or Caran d’Ache Infinity Grey for medium shades.

There are many others. I recommend to look at the stilo-e-stile website as they have excellent writing samples for all their inks. They have 56 inks that they classify as grey.

Last edited:
Very nice. I didn't see that this morning. I'll have a closer look at some options.
I'm a big fan of the Pilot ink. They must make one.

Absolutely, I use grey inks a lot. They don’t look like watered-down blacks - they look like greys. I find it a nice colour to write with - more distinctive than blue or black, but still versatile and professional.

Diamine Graphite is a favourite - it has a lovely 4B soft pencil-like quality. Taccia Usuzumi is a darker, charcoal shade and it can be mistaken for black, but it has a lovely quality that pure black inks lack. There are many medium and lighter grey inks too - Pilot Iroshizuku Kiri-Same and Fuyu-Syogun are popular light greys that are still legible. I like Aurora Grigio or Caran d’Ache Infinity Grey for medium shades.

There are many others. I recommend to look at the stilo-e-stile website as they have excellent writing samples for all their inks. They have 56 inks that they classify as grey.

Interesting that you say they are more distinctive than blue or black. I'm a black ink lover currently using private reserve black. I never did enjoy blue inks though I have a few and use them.
Must try a grey and see for myself especially if they write like a 4B pencil.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
But I'm hesitant because I feel like grey would be just a washed out black and not look good.

Depending on the brand, a good iron gall ink will dry into a nice dark grey or charcoal, potentially with some nice shading.

I normally use ESS, which tends to dry into a steely blue-black, but IIRC the Diamine Registrar's Ink is more of a straight dark grey.

Depending on the brand, a good iron gall ink will dry into a nice dark grey or charcoal, potentially with some nice shading.

I normally use ESS, which tends to dry into a steely blue-black, but IIRC the Diamine Registrar's Ink is more of a straight dark grey.

and nib dependent. essentially how wet the Diamine lays down will dictate how blackish or dark to light a grey it dried to.

I tried some grays samples, but never found one that didn't seem like it was washed out or... a fainter, "hard pencil line" that wasn't the easiest to read, for me.

I've stuck with ESS since I found it. it's my happy spot.

Haven't posted here in a while but just noticed this thread. I use De Atrramentis Fog Grey document ink. Their document inks are highly water resistant, which I like, and this one has an intriguing color. It's definitely gray when you look closely, but it just hints at blue.

...I feel like grey would be just a washed out black and not look good.

That is what happened to my Noodler's Black. It's degraded to being a "washed out" black. And it doesn't look bad. One just expects a denser black for the OG Noodler's ink. For grey I've got Noodler's Lexington Gray. Wanted a permanent grey and got one with the Lexington.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've nearly ordered a grey ink several times. However, it potentially looking like pencil lead is what stopped me. I have pencils, and am very happy using them, but I would rather have my inks looking like they came from a pen.

No one put up a picture?!

Iroshizuko Fuyu Syogun (Old Man Winter) it was in one of the first Ink Drops from Goulet. I got it right after. Still have half a bottle so I e used it some.
PXL_20220316_174921353.jpg

I rarely carry this ink in a work pen but now I'm curious to try it at work in my Lamy 2k OB.

Diamine's Earl Grey was tested with a lot of redditors. It was a hot ink there two years ago.

Diamine's Registrar Ink I found to be dry starter. In my VP OM (which is a wet writer) it wasn't a good fit. It dried more blue-black. Going through my work notes a year later it was degraded to a light gray or brown but still very legible. I need to try ESS.

No one put up a picture?!

Iroshizuko Fuyu Syogun (Old Man Winter) it was in one of the first Ink Drops from Goulet. I got it right after. Still have half a bottle so I e used it some.
View attachment 1424840

I rarely carry this ink in a work pen but now I'm curious to try it at work in my Lamy 2k OB.

Diamine's Earl Grey was tested with a lot of redditors. It was a hot ink there two years ago.

Diamine's Registrar Ink I found to be dry starter. In my VP OM (which is a wet writer) it wasn't a good fit. It dried more blue-black. Going through my work notes a year later it was degraded to a light gray or brown but still very legible. I need to try ESS.
I also wasn't a fan of how much sediment the Diamine's Registrar's left in the bottle (and pen potentially) after I got through it.

here's ESS through XF and an F-B nibs at 14-15 months, with outdoor direct lighting for the pic:

65F0B83E-AEC9-4551-9F65-A5ADE54F6603.jpeg

that looks way grey-er than to the eye, as a dark navy or dark blue-black mostly. my indoor lighting for pics is horrible.

Last edited:
Yeah the gunk in the Diamine Registrar's Ink is why I still have some in the bottom of a bottle... forgot to mention that. I am unable to get a picture of it with the lighting and glare from the bottle.

Ordered a bottle of De Artamentis ”Fog Grey” Document ink from Goulet’s. We will see how it looks!!!

Why? I don’t know! Third Base!!!

Tom

Top Bottom