What's new

Grenadine

Any one tried making their own grenadine syrup? I did not start with fresh pomegranates, as suggested in a recipe a link for which is posted elsewhere on this forum. I may try that yet. But I did start with not from concentrate 100% pomegranate juice, plus some pomegranate molasses, some orange zest, and a tad of lemon juice. I was not impressed. Not that flavorful and not all that bright a red, so that a drink made with it does not get a nice pink hue, but something more muddy. Whereas this stuff is incredible: Small Batch Grenadine by Jack Rudy Cocktail Co.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I was not happy making my own orgeat syrup either. Seemed hard to get a strong almond flavor out of real almonds.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Hoo, boy! I've never tried it, but making one's own grenadine doesn't sound like fun at all.

That Jack Rudy sounds like like the way to go for me. At first, $24 sounds pretty pricey, but a pint of grenadine will last me a very long time.

Actually, making grenadine was very easy per the recipes I was using. Basically just combine sugar, pomegranate juice, and other ingredients, and stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves. I guess I did put in some lemon juice and vodka after I pulled from the heat. I read somewhere that the lemon juice juice helps keep the color bright red. The vodka helps as a preservative. I used very little vodka.

Like I said, I did not start with fresh pomegranates, but if one has an orange juicer--and I know I used to--that did not look too bad. Maybe a tad messy, but what the heck. I suppose with fresh juice one would need to strain the syrup.

Compare that to orgeat, where I had to roast then pulverize almonds, heat (as I recall), let sit, and then strain using compression--I am guessing I was weak on that step, and still came out with pretty weak stuff. Or lime syrup (like Roses) which took a lot of scraping zest off limes. That was pretty good, but I do not find myself drinking a lot of gimlets. Even ginger syrup was more work than grenadine, but I have to say that making one's own ginger syrup is worth the effort!

I can find that Jack Ruby brand grenadine locally consistently for about $17. The Jack Rose seems to be my go to cocktail these days and my recipe uses between 1/2 and 3/4 oz of grenadine, which is not too bad. But I do find myself going through it.

Top Bottom