What's new

Grelot not closing properly

Gentlemen,

I bought a Grelot (bone handle) around June I think. I had to send it back as the blade was bouncing back half way through when closing it. The sharp edge was not exposed but it was very annoying, and quite dangerous...
I received another one, I’m sure it’s not the same as the blade is as blunt as it was the first one when arrived. Throughly checked, it was closing perfectly. Shaved once, it’s doing the same thing again.

What’s going on? Is this normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m not sure i understand. What does bouncing back mean?

does it mean it raises up a bit automatically when set at “closed” position?

can you share picture of the view from the wedge or top down?

i wonder if the wedge and bone dont flex the way you expect.

When set at “closed” position, the blade is raising up half way through.

It sounds like the scales are becoming loose. This can happen during use, during stropping, during honing. It is possible the scales were not over tight right out of the box. This can be corrected by tightening up the pivot pin or screw depending on what style your razor has. If it is a pin, very light taps with a light ball-peen hammer can resolve the issue, there are many videos on the ol tube about tightening pivot pins on straight razors. Hope that helps.

It sounds like the scales are becoming loose. This can happen during use, during stropping, during honing. It is possible the scales were not over tight right out of the box. This can be corrected by tightening up the pivot pin or screw depending on what style your razor has. If it is a pin, very light taps with a light ball-peen hammer can resolve the issue, there are many videos on the ol tube about tightening pivot pins on straight razors. Hope that helps.

It worked! [emoji4]

I think I know what happened.. After use, I dried the gap inside the handle (where the blade goes) with a microfibre cloth, which seems to have loosen the scales. A few gentle knocks on the pin and it’s back to how it was, ready to rock’n roll! Thanks!!

proxy.php

Congrats on tightening the pivot pin, @Black-Tie. I would be hesitant to first do this on such a beautiful razor. I would probably first try on a "practice" razor. Just curious, did you learn anything about this that you can share?

Top Bottom