What's new

Greetings from Wisconsin

Welcome to B&B,
New to B&B, I stumbled upon this forum as the bug of getting back to SR shaving has taken hold again after a long hiatus (the early '80's).

This time around, I picked up a Feather SS and am reintroducing myself to the straight edge experience. Looking forward to learning about the best technique in using this razor. Currently using it with the Proguard Blade until I get used to it. It definitely feels different than my old straight edge, which I misplaced years ago in one of my many moves.
I am a little confused by you terminology as all razors have straight edges; I think you mean single edge razor. There is a single edge sub forum you will find very helpful; I see you have chosen the Feather Artist Club razor with ProGuard blades. There is also a straight razor section if you want to venture down that road with all the honing and stropping involved.
I did try the shavette a long time ago but have settled on a DE razor for the daily shave.

Sorry, I meant straight razor. I used one for about 10 years in the 80's and 90's, got into multi blade cartridges, and recently I wanted the straight razor experience, without the hassle of maintanence. So I picked up the Feather SS.

Welcome to the group--give it time and the magnetic pull of straights will bring you in to the point that you feel guilty when you use a DE. I grew up in the "Head of the Lakes"/"Indianhead Region" of WI, live in VA (which resembles your area, which also looks like Normandy France, oddly enough). Not sure if you're a Deer Hunter or not, but with Gun Deer Season starting yesterday in Michigan (schools used to close for the holiday), and Wisconsin's starting this weekend, I always get a little nostalgic this time of year.

Deer hunting is big in northern wi, such that they pretty much do nothing in schools when opening season begins. Not so much in Dane County where I live.

I was born and raised in NYC, so I am not a deer hunter, and even though I've lived in WI since the late '70's, I've never been attracted to the sport.

Completely understand, hunting or harvesting venison isn't for everyone, but there's a distinction. Hunting as sport is for those with disposable income; for us and our neighbors growing up, deer season was an opportunity to put meat on the table (legally). Now, if someone offered me the choice between the best grade tomahawk ribeye and venison, I'm taking the venison, some caramelized onions and a beer every time.

I've lived in Milwaukee, and Chippewa/Eau Claire and now in Dane County. I've had venison, bear meat, wild turkey. Interesting tastes but not for me. Hunters love to share their game with us nonhunters.

One thing I will say is that hunting is rite of passage for many father / son / grandparents and now including the daughters and mothers as well. It's an admirable rite. Let's hope it continues.

Also, there was a traditional bond between hunters, gun enthusiast and environmentalists. One of the few coalitions that crossed political boundaries. Let's hope that continues as well.

Top Bottom