What's new

Greetings from Sydney, Straya

Hi - Just joined B&B so I thought I would say Hi and introduce myself.

I'm Andrew from Sydney in Australia and recently back into shaving after my beard of many years had to go (profile pic is a few weeks out of date!). They reckon I look 20 years younger without the beard but I was never a big fan of shaving as my skin always felt like I had used sandpaper and not a razor.

I havea collection of old safety razors, plus a straight razor, most of which were inherited and belonged to various family members and ended up with me. After a bit of looking around on the internet, I decided to go back to using a safety razor, brush and soap. It's all good fun and am enjoying travelling down this path -much more so than using the disposable crap bought from the supermarket. My skin is already thanking me for taking the extra care with traditional wet shaving methods rather than the modern disposable stuff.

My list of weapons include a UK made Gillette Superspeed, an Empire No. 2 plus my Dad's old 7 O'clock safety razor - it's not a Gillette but an English made razor from the 1940's or 50's that comes apart and fits in a little brass box. Needs replating badly as it's worn back to the original brass. Also have a Bengal Imperial straight razor that came down to me from a distant ancestor. It needs a refurb also. I am keen to give it a go, but have never used a straight razor before and they are a bit daunting. Especially after reading all the books about the razor gangs that used to roam the streets of Sydney in the 1920's - handguns were banned in about 1922 so the gangsters armed themselves with cut-throat razors and weren't afraid to used them. It was pretty gory reading, much scarier than any Stephen King novel!

Looking forward to trying out all the different soaps, moisturisers etc and generally experimenting with blades, brushes lotions and potions etc.

Cheers

Andrew

Welcome aboard, Andrew! Instead of a replate, consider just shining up the brass.

Folks around here are super helpful. Ask questions if you have any, and enjoy your shaves!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum Andrew from another Australian Andrew. Very glad to have you with us. Don't forget to check out The Great Southern Land in the Barber Shop forum. All things Australia and New Zealand.

Welcome Andrew from an original New South Welshman but now a Melbournite.
What sort of soaps and brushes do you use now?

Welcome Andrew from an original New South Welshman but now a Melbournite.
What sort of soaps and brushes do you use now?
Been using the Taylors Sandlewood soap but have recently lashed out and bought some Woolfat and a Coconut oil based soap that I saw. Just have my old shaving brush from many years ago, plus I recently bought a straight razor set off Fleabay for 50 dollars, mainly for the wooden soap container and brush stand. The razor and strop were total rubbish. The brush wasn't too bad actually.

I can see how this can be a rabbit hole!

cheers
Andrew

Top Bottom