What's new

Greetings from Switzerland + My Starting Gear

Kilunaji
I live in Switzerland too and today after 8 years of DE shaving (first with an Edwin Jagger DE89, and then with a Mühle R41), I took my first plunge into the Straight razor shaving world.

And boy! Was it bloody!

I nearly sliced off half an inch of skin with the Böker pro barberette and Feather blade. But I am going to keep trying and reserve my weekend shaves as practice shaves for the straight.

BTW, from where did you buy your straight razor gear in Switzerland? I am searching for a Boker retail outlet in Zug and Zurich....

Regards,
Amit

@Kilunaji Bumps IME is caused by hair follicles that gets infected that then becomes inflamed directly after your shave. Similarly blunt/dull razor edges will produce unneeded irritation/trauma that will irritate the follicles during the shave leaving redness that could also lead to inflammation. So for bumps the follicle must be cleaned to prevent bumps from forming whilst using sharp edges and slick soap to eliminate irritation. Whichhazel, alum crystal and alcohol aftershaves does a great job at cleaning the follicles and preventing bumps.

Welcome Sir. I can't really speak to your particular hair/skin type as I'm white with straight, medium course beard hair, hopefully there's some other fellas on here with similar hair type.

What I can say, being newer to DE (and I know you're working on single) is that I've learned its an impossibility to expect great shaves right away. It does take time and technique. I've had some great shaves, far superior (in regards to razor burn and bumps) to cartridge razors, but I've also had some dismal ones, like yesterday. Oof.

Top Bottom