What's new

Greetings from Finland

You stated in your first post that you use all Muhle equipment. If that includes Muhle blades, that may be part of your problem. Muhle blades do not work for me at all.
I would suggest trying Gillette Nacets or Gillette Silver Blues.

My problem is not any single blade, it is multi-blades as I clearly stated.

Muhle blades work just fine for me on the few shaves I've tried. You know that they are not Muhle blades, anyway, rather made on contract by a Russian company IIRC.

Welcome to BB.
One question: do you use shaving gel?

Try other brands of blades (Gillette or Personna.....).

Gel, soap, etc. No difference. Brand of blade no difference. My one and only problem is multi-blades. Period.

I got mine from Bulgaria and still worth the trouble. Have a look at eBay or Amazon for sellers that ship to Finland. I wouldn’t recommend them if not for your clogging issue.

View attachment 1433870

Thanks. Yes, if I need to be airplane flying anywhere then these would likely be very good for me as they won't let my DE setup in the carry-on baggage and I rarely check baggage under the plane.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Thanks. Yes, if I need to be airplane flying anywhere then these would likely be very good for me as they won't let my DE setup in the carry-on baggage and I rarely check baggage under the plane.

Regulations were already strict before the 9-11 attack. But after 9-11, they became much more strict. FAA TSA regulations will never let you bring a blade of any kind on a plane, thats just something you will have to get used to.

If you are someone who takes plane flights often, it would then make sense to have a home base location in that other state or country, in which you keep a DE razor there at all times, this way it won't be a big deal.

Does TSA FAA allow for electric shavers? I know they used to prior to 9.11, but not sure if the regs tightened up on the use of those as well.

Regulations were already strict before the 9-11 attack. But after 9-11, they became much more strict. FAA TSA regulations will never let you bring a blade of any kind on a plane, thats just something you will have to get used to.

If you are someone who takes plane flights often, it would then make sense to have a home base location in that other state or country, in which you keep a DE razor there at all times, this way it won't be a big deal.

Does TSA FAA allow for electric shavers? I know they used to prior to 9.11, but not sure if the regs tightened up on the use of those as well.

I live in Finland and I've flown exactly twice in the past 10 years :) I hate airplanes.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Welcome to B&B. I too would suggest trying different razors/blades and combinations of razors and blades. Pay attention to facial prep prior to shaving. My facial hair won’t take chunks out of blades but I definitely notice a difference with the difficulty/ease of shaving if my pre-shave routine is not up to norms.

When you get a chance head over to the Hall of Fame and tell us a little about yourself.

Welcome to B&B. I too would suggest trying different razors/blades and combinations of razors and blades. Pay attention to facial prep prior to shaving. My facial hair won’t take chunks out of blades but I definitely notice a difference with the difficulty/ease of shaving if my pre-shave routine is not up to norms.

When you get a chance head over to the Hall of Fame and tell us a little about yourself.

Thanks! My barber uses feathers with a shavette and does extensive facial prep, and I've been there for shaves at least 50 times. The super-sharp (i.e. super-thin edged) blades cause two problems for me: 1) my hair nicks the edges of the blades so they are in bad shape even before half of pass 1, and 2) flares up my eczema extremely bad. There is a reason why I got these Muehle blades (6/10 sharpness) - my hair is not able to nick the edges and the thicker edge doesn't flare my eczema at all.

When you have extremely tough facial hair, the sharpest blades are not your friend as the edge is far too fine and brittle to stay intact after more than a few strokes. Same thing with Japanese kitchen knives, they are sharpened with a much smaller angle than western knives and if you so much as touch a fish bone or an orange seed then you've got a nicked blade. The german knives, sharpened to a larger angle, stay "sharp enough" for days on end no matter if you use them to cut chicken bones in half.

Thanks! My barber uses feathers with a shavette and does extensive facial prep, and I've been there for shaves at least 50 times. The super-sharp (i.e. super-thin edged) blades cause two problems for me: 1) my hair nicks the edges of the blades so they are in bad shape even before half of pass 1, and 2) flares up my eczema extremely bad. There is a reason why I got these Muehle blades (6/10 sharpness) - my hair is not able to nick the edges and the thicker edge doesn't flare my eczema at all.

When you have extremely tough facial hair, the sharpest blades are not your friend as the edge is far too fine and brittle to stay intact after more than a few strokes. Same thing with Japanese kitchen knives, they are sharpened with a much smaller angle than western knives and if you so much as touch a fish bone or an orange seed then you've got a nicked blade. The german knives, sharpened to a larger angle, stay "sharp enough" for days on end no matter if you use them to cut chicken bones in half.
Welcome!

funny, I have strong hair too, but I could barely finish the shave with the Mühle blade when I tried. It is as sharp as a butterknife on my scale. :) I use only the sharpest blades. They last 3, sometimes 4 shaves. Even the ones that other people use happily 8 times or more. YMMV!

Last edited:
Welcome!

funny, I have strong hair too, but I could barely finish the shave with the Mühle blade when I tried. It is as sharp as a butterknife on my scale. :) I use only the sharpest blades. They last 3, sometimes 4 shaves. Even the ones that other people use happily 8 times or more. YMMV!

If you can get 3-4 shaves (multiple passes as well?) out of a feather and it only works for less than half of a single pass on my face, then your facial hair is not even in the same category as of toughness as mine. My barber seriously started charging me more for shaves due to needing to use multiple blades. Maybe the muehle cuts my hairs ok because the hairs are so strong that they do not budge when the blade hits them. Softer hairs might just flex and the blade edge doesn't manage to get a bite.

If you want to try different blades at some point and want to buy from a finnish vendor, I think vintageshave and nordicshaving sells blade samplers. Latter one sells finnish shaving soaps too, which perform well.

Top Bottom