What's new

Greetings from Finland

Hi All!

Greetings from Helsinki. I recently decided to start using a safety razor as I was tired of the store-bought multi-blades clogging up 20 times during one shave. I started out with all Muhle equipment, but will further diversify as time goes on.

Have a nice shave :)

Welcome to B&B where the information abounds, the people are interesting and we have a few rabbit holes to explore
😁
tenor.gif

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hi All!

Greetings from Helsinki. I recently decided to start using a safety razor as I was tired of the store-bought multi-blades clogging up 20 times during one shave. I started out with all Muhle equipment, but will further diversify as time goes on.

Have a nice shave :)

Welcome to Badger & Blade, the best rootin tootin shaving forum on the net, to send you down the rabbit hole of your dreams. 😁

Oh my gosh, you have no idea how right you are! Not only do cartridge razors clog up constantly, cause they pack 5 itty bitty blades in extreme tight formation, but they also cause razor burn, know why? This is because it has 5 blades, that means that your face is being raked 5 times per pass. And if you make more then one pass on the same spot, thats now 10 rakes across. Say hello to razor burn!

Then the razor blade inevitably goes dull, and then you have to pay 16 to 24 dollars for a 4-pack or 8-pack of blades. By the years ends, you've just spent over 100 dollars in blade cartridge packs, oops! You know how much the average costs of most DE razor blades cost? The average cost for a 10-pack tuk of DE blades, is between 0.89 to 2.00 dollars per pack.

The most expensive of the DE blades are Feathers, around 4.99 per pack, and that is still even cheaper then Gillette cartridge blade packs! Welcome to your intervention, we've just saved you from the horrors of cartridge shaving. So pat yourself on the back, for you are amazing. Again, welcome to Badger & Blade! :D

Welcome to Badger & Blade, the best rootin tootin shaving forum on the net, to send you down the rabbit hole of your dreams. 😁

Oh my gosh, you have no idea how right you are! Not only do cartridge razors clog up constantly, cause they pack 5 itty bitty blades in extreme tight formation, but they also cause razor burn, know why? This is because it has 5 blades, that means that your face is being raked 5 times per pass. And if you make more then one pass on the same spot, thats now 10 rakes across. Say hello to razor burn!

Then the razor blade inevitably goes dull, and then you have to pay 16 to 24 dollars for a 4-pack or 8-pack of blades. By the years ends, you've just spent over 100 dollars in blade cartridge packs, oops! You know how much the average costs of most DE razor blades cost? The average cost for a 10-pack tuk of DE blades, is between 0.89 to 2.00 dollars per pack.

The most expensive of the DE blades are Feathers, around 4.99 per pack, and that is still even cheaper then Gillette cartridge blade packs! Welcome to your intervention, we've just saved you from the horrors of cartridge shaving. So pat yourself on the back, for you are amazing. Again, welcome to Badger & Blade! :D

Thanks!

I didn't switch to safety-razor to save money, rather because my facial hair has now crossed a threshold where even twin-blade razors no longer work due to clogging with every pass, and single-blade disposables are not easy to find these days. Because I have extremely oily facial skin, I don't get razor burn and not too many wrinkles, either. So, having a single blade that can be completely cleared of debris just by doing a quick wave under running water is like a dream come true for me. The audible feedback is an added bonus which I really like as I use it to adjust the angle of the blade.

I still can't use a DE blade for more than one shave - one side of the blade will only do half of my face before it starts tugging. It's not about blade sharpness, either, rather that my wiry hairs create missing chunks on the edge of the blade. I might need to paint a dot on one side of the top so I know which side I used first. Even after showering and pre-shaving, my beard is still rough enough to cause brand new pillowcases to pill. It is just ridiculously sharp and wiry hairs. Even with Mach 3s, one cartridge would not do more than half my face at 3 days growth. And I hate shaving every single day, although my facial skin definitely prefers being shaved every day and stays in much better condition that way.

So far, this R96 is my first experience and I'll master it before moving on to a second safety-razor.

Thanks!

I didn't switch to safety-razor to save money, rather because my facial hair has now crossed a threshold where even twin-blade razors no longer work due to clogging with every pass, and single-blade disposables are not easy to find these days. Because I have extremely oily facial skin, I don't get razor burn and not too many wrinkles, either. So, having a single blade that can be completely cleared of debris just by doing a quick wave under running water is like a dream come true for me. The audible feedback is an added bonus which I really like as I use it to adjust the angle of the blade.

I still can't use a DE blade for more than one shave - one side of the blade will only do half of my face before it starts tugging. It's not about blade sharpness, either, rather that my wiry hairs create missing chunks on the edge of the blade. I might need to paint a dot on one side of the top so I know which side I used first. Even after showering and pre-shaving, my beard is still rough enough to cause brand new pillowcases to pill. It is just ridiculously sharp and wiry hairs. Even with Mach 3s, one cartridge would not do more than half my face at 3 days growth. And I hate shaving every single day, although my facial skin definitely prefers being shaved every day and stays in much better condition that way.

So far, this R96 is my first experience and I'll master it before moving on to a second safety-razor.
For traveling or just a quick shave look out for the Bic Metal best (SE) Disposable that money can buy.

For traveling or just a quick shave look out for the Bic Metal best (SE) Disposable that money can buy.

Thanks, they don't sell those in Finland. I'm in the process of putting together a travel set now (leather case for my R96 and a synthetic travel brush).

Thanks, they don't sell those in Finland. I'm in the process of putting together a travel set now (leather case for my R96 and a synthetic travel brush).
I got mine from Bulgaria and still worth the trouble. Have a look at eBay or Amazon for sellers that ship to Finland. I wouldn’t recommend them if not for your clogging issue.

D65143ED-ADCA-484B-8312-E4A4116E09DD.jpeg

Thanks!

You stated in your first post that you use all Muhle equipment. If that includes Muhle blades, that may be part of your problem. Muhle blades do not work for me at all.
I would suggest trying Gillette Nacets or Gillette Silver Blues.

Top Bottom