What's new

Greetings From CuttingEdge60

Hello Folks, I been Shaving for over 40 years and found B&B due while looking for Brushes and DE Razors on the internet. I've used a safety razor off and on over the years and been using them on a daily bases for the last few. I actually found the site by accident asking a question regarding Boar brushes. Read the beginners stuff and getting acquanted with the etiquette rules and the getting used to using the Forum. I do not consider myself a beginner with Safety Razors nor do I see myself as a craftsman either. I'm green at using or belonging to a forum so I am diving in to my first post as a beginner. I bought a cheap Boar Brush before I knew what I was doing years ago and was not into it until I started using Badger. I would like to branch out to using a quality boar brush and add versatility in my brushes. I like the information for the brief time i been here. Any suggestions regarding Boar brushes?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hello Folks, I been Shaving for over 40 years and found B&B due while looking for Brushes and DE Razors on the internet. I've used a safety razor off and on over the years and been using them on a daily bases for the last few. I actually found the site by accident asking a question regarding Boar brushes. Read the beginners stuff and getting acquanted with the etiquette rules and the getting used to using the Forum. I do not consider myself a beginner with Safety Razors nor do I see myself as a craftsman either. I'm green at using or belonging to a forum so I am diving in to my first post as a beginner. I bought a cheap Boar Brush before I knew what I was doing years ago and was not into it until I started using Badger. I would like to branch out to using a quality boar brush and add versatility in my brushes. I like the information for the brief time i been here. Any suggestions regarding Boar brushes?

Welcome to Badger & Blade! :)

I am not a bore brush user, so I can't help you there, but there are a lot of other members on B&B who are, and they will be happy to help.

I personally, have only used badger brushes. I tried a pure badger, used it for at least an entire month, if not a little more, and hated it. Now I have a silver tipped badger brush, and I love it! But like you, I am considering on branching off a little bit, and trying out a synthetic brush, they are regarded positively by many on here.

But just like with any animal hair brush, not all synthetics are equal, some are better then other's. And I am trying to start off right, by listening to opinions of other's who have used quality synthetic brushes, in hopes, that I order a quality synthetic that doesn't suck. I wish you good luck on your journey!

Have a great shave, and have a great day! 😎

Omega boar brushes can be bought for less than 20 bucks and in a couple of weeks of use, they become very nice brushes. They just take a little time to break-in. Some people complain about a scent but I don't notice it after a couple of cleanings. They have a backbone and give a little scrub. Soap doesn't hide in them and they clean up and dry quickly. Give them a try and welcome to the Forum. I'm an old guy and to this day still have problems with forums. But I think they are better than all the social media things going around like Facebook tweets and others. Those just **** me off.

I am not a bore brush user, so I can't help you there, but there are a lot of other members on B&B who are, and they will be happy to help.

I personally, have only used badger brushes. I tried a pure badger, used it for at least an entire month, if not a little more, and hated it. Now I have a silver tipped badger brush, and I love it! But like you, I am considering on branching off a little bit, and trying out a synthetic brush, they are regarded positively by many on here.

But just like with any animal hair brush, not all synthetics are equal, some are better then other's. And I am trying to start off right, by listening to opinions of other's who have used quality synthetic brushes, in hopes, that I order a quality synthetic that doesn't suck. I wish you good luck on your journey!

Thank you Star_Wahl_Clipper

Welcome 👋

One of the best all around brushes for me is the Semogue SOC Mistura (left one in Butterscotch) that is a mix of 50% boar and 50% Finest badger. Can be found with wooden or resin handles.

95D5B092-3CEC-494D-A4D5-C063DF82AEA4.jpeg

Thank you Star_Wahl_Clipper
I had a fairly detailed response but it appears it did not go through and I lost it.

I'll rewrite later. Hope to stay in touch.

Welcome to B&B.
Omega have a good selection of boar brushes which are available from many online retailers. I would suggest decide on a budget and choose a brush of 26mm knot. They take about thirty shaves to break in but work well with soap or creams, either face lathering or bowl lathering.

Last edited:
Welcome to B & B, glad you've joined. Boar brushes are wonderful! I have plenty of badger, and plenty of boar. We all have different tastes in our brushes, but I'll pass on to you what I like. Zenith is an Italian brush maker that makes some wonderful boar brushes. I especially enjoy their unbleached boars as well as their 80N boar. Those can be found at yourshaving, an online supplier. In Semogue, I like the SOC & Torga C5 brushes. And in Omega I like the Omega Proraso Pro. My favorite is my old Omega Premium Jade, but Connaught is getting a different density of brush these days from Omega, so I wouldn't recommend that as my top brush anymore. My top boar brushes are the Zenith's.

I like a boar brush with a larger knot, densly packed to have good backbone & scrub, while having enough loft so the broken-in soft tips can be felt & enjoyed on my face. A brush with too short of loft doesn't let me feel the soft tips as well because the scrub is much more pronounced. A brush with higher loft splays too easily & doesn't have the backbone I desire. All that said from a bleached boar perspective. The Zenith unbleached boars are my top two brushes even though based on what I just said, they should be too high lofted for my taste. But the unbleached properties of those brushes cause the brushes to perform differently than a bleached boar brush.

And BTW, all of the brushes I mentioned above are in the neighborhood of $20, except for the more expensive Semogue's.

And by the way, all of this is just my opinion. Others feel differently & that's accepted here. We are a merry band of brothers enjoying this wonderful journey of wet shaving. Enjoy your journey!

Top Bottom