What's new

Greetings from Ct. A 45 year journey

Hi All,
When I was 15, I bought a straight razor and strop at Hoffritz in Grand Central Station. That was 1973 and I couldn't find anyone to teach me how to use it. Local barber declined.
In 1976, at college, I bought a DE razor, shave soap, and a brush and cut my face to shreds.
In 2017 I found my college brush and DE razor in the attic and watched some YouTubes on wet shaving and went to work & enjoyed it.
I now use straight razors and am learning to hone them. I have too many soaps but love shaving. It only took 45 years!
The internet has made it all possible or at least a lot easier. Forums like this are the best. Happy to share what little I know. Wish I started a lot sooner and wish I could find that 45 year old razor and strop from Hoffritz!
-Blackbeard (More graybeard at this point.)

When I think of the years I spent with electric razors, then the occasional cartridge with each trip to the drugstore or Walmart necessitating more $$ -- desolation, all is desolation.

(Maybe I've overthinking it. As people say here, it's just shaving.) Welcome, Blackbeard.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Hi All,
When I was 15, I bought a straight razor and strop at Hoffritz in Grand Central Station. That was 1973 and I couldn't find anyone to teach me how to use it. Local barber declined.
In 1976, at college, I bought a DE razor, shave soap, and a brush and cut my face to shreds.
In 2017 I found my college brush and DE razor in the attic and watched some YouTubes on wet shaving and went to work & enjoyed it.
I now use straight razors and am learning to hone them. I have too many soaps but love shaving. It only took 45 years!
The internet has made it all possible or at least a lot easier. Forums like this are the best. Happy to share what little I know. Wish I started a lot sooner and wish I could find that 45 year old razor and strop from Hoffritz!
-Blackbeard (More graybeard at this point.)
Welcome. Go to the “Hones and Honing” sub
Forum under The straight shaving forum and find the “Honing for Newbies Compendium” by @Slash McCoy. This method is inexpensive and very easy to learn. Does not use stones at all and you will end up with laser sharp razors. There are a lot of really great guys over there that will give you all the help you need or want. See you there.

Top Bottom