What's new

Greetings from a Martian (well, not really)

Hey all you fellows, Just thought I'd give a wave and stuff to you all from a guy who's been lurking for a little while.
About me? I'm a 30something from QLD, Office admin worker for a medium sized company. I enjoy the good things in life, and to that end, I've splurged a little bit in the last year or so and gotten into the Wet shaving 'thing'.
Yeah, I used to use electric trimmers, and those gawdawful Mach3 with GoopInACan. I can proudly say that I have finally seen the light my good brothers in badgerbristles, Hallieghluiah! Yes, I no longer purchase that expensive goop that always made my face feel like it was covered in half a tonne of slime and the 15 dollar packets of razors that only lasted me one shave each, and I have now Gone the route that many have lead with. I've got a small collection of straight razors (two Dovos, one ebony shelled 5/8ths, one plastic shelled 5/8ths, A Comoy branded Cheapie 7/8ths, and a Wahl disposable blade) a DE razor, A Pair of Strops and a couple of Badger Bristle brushes, both Comoy Brand. I tend to use the Ebony Dovo more then the others, as it seems to just be the nicer, (the comoy branded one's really just for mucking around really)

So yeah, apart from the shaving, I don't mind a drop of good coffee, tea, and chocolate. Plus The odd wee dram of single malt.

That's pretty much me really. Hope to hear a friendly word from all you dudes!

I guess that's where most of us started too.

For me, it was whatever cheap disposables razors, but never the goop in a can. I was either shaving in the shower sans shaving cream or soap of any kind. Then about 3 years ago I got a tube of Mennen Shave cream and a cheap hog bristle brush. At that sufficed. The Mennen cream is acceptable and the hog bristle brush was passable.

Then, for work last year, I found myself at a cosmetic expo in Hong Kong, where on the last day I met a chap with Becker (www.becker-manicure.de) who was selling off his stock rather than cart back to Germany and so I got a Badger brush for the princely sum of HK$50 (which is about NZ$11) and threw in a tub of Taylors of Old Bond Street.

Well, I tried that and man, was I hooked. Beautiful brush, beautiful cream and a crap disposable. I guess it was the next step for me - finding a DE razor, and in NZ that is easier said than done, even razor blades are hard to find.
I was in my local Indian dairy and picked up a "King Safety Razor" for under NZ$5 and blades (Indian Wilkinson Sword - as one would expect!) for $2/packet.

I tried it out that night and even in very inexperienced hands, I had a shave that was far closer than I ever had with Schick or Gillette or any of the home brand disposables. A nice shave, almost BBS except for where the hair was growing in a different direction and no nicks, cuts or weepers.

I now have my sis in law coming back from Egypt with 2 Lord Razors and a pack of 100 blades kindly donated by Lord Razors themselves seeing as there are no NZ distributors - it seems I have an acquisition disorder already.

Rob

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome! Going for a straight... Good on you! Good luck! Cheers, Luc

Top Bottom