What's new

Greetings, and Razorock 72 Open Comb Observations

Hello everyone. First post. Just a quick thank you to all those who have contributed to the threads. Many of you have been an invaluable resource for me and my wet shave journey.

I have been using a Merkur 34c for a couple years now, but figured it was time to move up and get something more aggressive and efficient. The Merkur would need to be "laid down" at its most agressive for me to get anything out of it. It's a beautiful, comfortable razor, but it has served its use. I also have been using a Henri et Victoria shave soap, Duc de Santal glycerine based, which I absolutely love, along with their Cuban Cigars after shave balm. I tried triple milled soap but found it too frustrating to get a good lather. My razor blades are Astra Superior Platinum.

So, on to my next purchase, after laboriously going through reviews, I decided on the Razorock .72 open comb. In short, I don't like it. I have only used it twice now, but my face is not happy with it. I shave daily so I'm not sure what possessed me to buy an open comb. Maybe I need to give it a few more tries, or maybe I need to sell it and go with one of the closed comb plates. My beard gets heavy quickly I suppose and it's quite coarse, and my face is obviously not as tough as I thought. I would say generally speaking I do not have sensitive skin though. So my thoughts are a .72 closed or a .95 closed?

Peace, Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading between the lines that this shave was a bit too much and left you with some irritation, I'd rule out the .95. The open and closed combs aren't going to be like night and day, but the .72 closed will be somewhat milder than the OC. The .95 will present even more blade than the open comb .72, which is already a huge jump up from the 34C, as you noticed.

Last edited:
The Lupo 58 might be a better place to start if you're an everyday shaver. Closed/Solid Safety bar not open comb. It's close to what the Merkur was IMO but maybe a couple of steps up. Better metal for sure.
Welcome to the group and enjoy learning.

I agree with @HazMat Shaver
You can buy just the .58 Lupo baseplate SB and give that a try.

If you get your shaves dialed in after using the 58 for a while, then you can always pick up a Lupo 72 sb baseplate later on if you wish to kick the efficiency up another notch.

I started with a Merker 34c which I used for months. After that my progression went Gamechanger 68, then the 84. Then the Lupo 72 when it was released and later the lupo 95 sb. I can use the 95 sb everyday but I didn't get to that point overnight. Perhaps I just grew accustomed to more blade feel over time and I still grab the 72 SB fairly often, especially to test new blades.

Last edited:
Hi fellas, thanks for the responses. Interesting the .58 is suggested. Italian Barber has the Merkur 34c at medium and the Razorock .58 a step below at mild medium. I should also add getting a good lather with the Razarock soap was not as easy as the Henri et Victoria. Need to dial the moisture back a bit.Frig, I'm gonna end up with a bunch of Razorock plates.:eek2:

Reading between the lines that this shave was a bit too much and left you with some irritation, I'd rule out the .95. The open and closed combs aren't going to be like night and day, but the .72 closed will be somewhat milder than the OC. The .95 will present even more blade than the open comb .72, which is already a huge jump up from the 34C, as you noticed.

Totally agree. I have the 95SB and don’t like it that much. It’s aggressive but not efficient. My Gillette New Long Comb instead, is one my favorite ones. I shave every other day though. I’m curious to know what others think.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have the Razorock Lupo.72 and use a steep approach (riding the bar) and it works well for myself. Shaving daily with the Lupo .72 might be a little to much for some folks but that depends on the beard and skin type I suppose. Open comb razors are more aggressive than straight bar as mentioned already from my experiences but have excellent lather to blade edge lubrication IMO . RR also has the Aluminum Lupo 1st generation razor also that folks really enjoyed but folks wanted more blade feel and Stainless steel razors so the 2nd generation Lupo's was developed from my observances over the years.

I have some photo's that might help you determine the different blade exposure or blade feel that might work for you. There is a dual comb .72 that might help you decide what is best from reviews people have experienced using the SB to OC and that is what your asking.
(Archived photo's)These are just reasonable estimation for blade exposures taken from different folks I thought might help myself and others. Note the equipment used to take photo's are all different, the Lupo.72(SB) photo is mine using a hobby USB microscope (click photos to enlarge)
Lupo .58,picture by Nehbulah (2).jpg
Still001 Razorock Lupo,72 + Gillette 7oClock SS blade.jpg

lupo .95 (2)(3).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Thanks for the input fellas. @Ron R, wow great pics you've included. It could be possible the .72 solid bar is still too aggressive. Only one way to find out...

Dan

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Thanks for the input fellas. @Ron R, wow great pics you've included. It could be possible the .72 solid bar is still too aggressive. Only one way to find out...

Dan
If you have a Gillette slim or Fatboy on setting 2-3(Mild) out of 9 settings that would be the equivalent blade exposure to lupo.72 but the gap design is different on the Lupo(more shallow slope IMO) compared to Gillette adjustable so when riding the bar you adjust as you go to make for wonderful shaves. To mush Pressure on the razor does also makes other problematic issues as your aware of.
Gillette adjustable gaps are smaller in design possibly IMO. Gillette adjustable razor work on gap changes to make it adjustable.
When I first received my Lupo in Jan 2021 I shaved for a week of daily consecutive shaves with it and was OK but over the years my technique has gone more to riding the bar technique with DE razors but single edge razors (SE) I still use shallow angle (riding the cap) is the best approach for those type of razors because of design but there are exceptions to that technique with certain SE razors(Ever-Ready 1924, SE).
Still003 Gillette slim set at 9 on dial=.007 to .008 inches.jpg

Fatboy chart for exposure (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Good advice Ron. I think with the Merkur 34c I’m riding the cap, whereas with the .72 OC I’m really trying to be gentle and more passive. I also ordered it with the longer handle, which I prefer, but supposedly the added weight can add to a razors aggressiveness. I think I’ll order the .72 safety bar plate.

@Ron R ...Great images. Definitely worth "a thousand words."

It almost makes me want to get the RR "Lupo .95". Blade exposure isn't as bad as I thought it'd be.

I'll probably stay with my GC 68-P and GC 84-P for now.

b/r

ON_1

.72 plate ordered. Praying this is the one, I don’t plan on becoming a collector like some on this forum. 😀

I’ll be sure to give my feedback.

Peace.
Dan

Top Bottom