What's new

Greetings and a question

Hello from New Hampshire. I've been wet shaving for about two months now. Got hooked on it by watching some Youtube videos and look forward to my daily shaves. I'm using an Edwin Jagger DE 89 with a feather blade. Already have a lot of soaps/creams. Right now my go to is Proraso White and Cella Aloe Vera. My question is what do you do for ingrown hairs, which have developed over the last couple weeks on my neck. They are mostly just on the left side for some reason. Things I have tried: make sure prep is good, exfoliate with the brush when face lathering, only do one pass with the grain, and do a post shave that includes witch hazel and/or Thayer's face toner. These things have minimized the bumps but not cleared them up entirely. I look forward to suggestions and joining in the forums.

Welcome to B&B! :smile:

I can't help you with the ingrown hair question, never having that problem, but you're sure to receive help here. This is probably the best place on the web for any shaving related question. :thumbsup:

Welcome.

I don't often get ingrown hairs, but I do use extra-strength Stridex pads daily to prevent shaving related blemishes. The salysilic acid seems to prevent any breakouts.

You may want to do a search, there are a lot of threads regarding ingrown hairs.

Good luck. 🙂

Thanks for the suggestion Joe. I saw a video from Doug Smythe where he showed how to make a solution of water, glycerin, and aspirin (which is acetylsalicylic acid) to treat ingrowns. I haven't tried it yet but since the Stridex pads contain salicylic acid that might be a more convenient way to go to help with inflammation.

Welcome to B&B.

No useful knowledge on the hairs, and it sounds like a good setup. The only thing that crosses my mind is how well the DE89 is getting on with the Feather. Might be worth trying smoothness and longevity over sharpness? (I have a DE86 that seems to get on well with Astras, though everyone will have their preference. All part of the fun.)

But just on the left side might suggest grip or angle. Do you switch hand for different strokes, or is it all dominant hand? Could just as easily be a different pattern of growth. (So no useful knowledge, but a lot of blather.)

Welcome aboard!

I suggest you map your beard to understand what you are doing with each pass, especially in the problem area.

Welcome to B&B.

No useful knowledge on the hairs, and it sounds like a good setup. The only thing that crosses my mind is how well the DE89 is getting on with the Feather. Might be worth trying smoothness and longevity over sharpness? (I have a DE86 that seems to get on well with Astras, though everyone will have their preference. All part of the fun.)

But just on the left side might suggest grip or angle. Do you switch hand for different strokes, or is it all dominant hand? Could just as easily be a different pattern of growth. (So no useful knowledge, but a lot of blather

Welcome to B&B.

But just on the left side might suggest grip or angle. Do you switch hand for different strokes, or is it all dominant hand? Could just as easily be a different pattern of growth. (So no useful knowledge, but a lot of blather.)
Good suggestion trying the Atras. I tried one today and there was no irritation over my problem area. I did have to avoid the temptation to apply pressure in some areas as compared to the Feather blade there was so little feedback. Also shortened up strokes or the blade felt like it would skip, especially against the grain. But overall it was a DFS without irritation and I don't think it will cause ingrown hairs.

Glad you found success with changing blades. In the future you might consider a more aggressive razor; as counterintuitive as it sounds I find my milder razors (Gillette Flare Tip SS, Tech) frequently give me more irritating shaves, especially on ATG passes and/or when the blade is more dull. Anyway, I hope any residual ingrowns don't give you further trouble.

Welcome to B&B. I agree with the cream, soap, and witch hazel you are using--all good choices and not contributing to the problem from my experience. The ingrown hairs could be attributable to a number of things: personal biochemistry, poor shaving technique, shaving too frequently. The Feather blade is a sharp one, you might benefit from using a milder blade like a Solingen Timor or a Turkish Lord blade instead. Similarly, are you forced to shave everyday? If not, try shaving every other day or every three days or so to see if that helps. Also, try riding the cap more so the blade is only lightly engaged upon introduction to the skin's surface.

I get ingrowns if I allow my facial hair to grow. The methods offered so far may help but if the hair has already curled under the skin you will have to lift it out. I'm of afro-mediterranean descent and ingrown hairs put me off shaving for years. A mild razor with a good blade and good pre/post care solves a lot. When it doesn't, I use a plastic scraper (or bayonet, ymmv) against the grain to get the hair to emerge from the bump and then tweeze it out and treat with witch hazel.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Welcome to B&B. I get ingrown hairs every so often. I can't say I've identified the cause. I end up lifting them away from the skin and plucking them out with a precision pair of tweezers.

Top Bottom