What's new

Greeting everyone, every recommendation is appreciate

First of all, thanks to you guys for all info and reviews and a lot of comments that make me have a better shave.

I just started using de/se blades couple months ago during COVID-19 lockdown. I was a cartridge guy for over 20+ years and suffer from ingrown hairs:001_unsur. In Thailand, we normally use cartridge or disposal razor so I have very little knowledge about safety razors, we do have safety razors but mostly A plastic handle with zinc alloy head, we do have some shops that stock Muhle, Parker.... but very limited choices. So most of my Razors came from links in these forums.

I’m still searching for a better shave everyday so any suggestion you guys has, pleaseeee, I’ll try my best to achieve that:ouch1:.

I started with Supply co. Single edge 2.0 razor which make me go back to my cartridge right away. Not that it’s not good but at that time I’m not familiar with fixed head razors. So I gave it to my father and he like it so much:pipe:.

I was hesitated to use safety razors or straight razors because the blade expose really look scary. In the end I ordered my first safety razor “Merkur Futur”. Only reason is it’s adjustable so I could try how aggressive I like. After my first shave ends with a lot of nicks(I mean it, more than 20). Also because of my beginner techniques.

I immediately look elsewhere so I found “Leaf razors” and “Broman razors“ which people says that how Good they are for anyone who want to switch from cartridge razors. They give a good result, fewer nicks and smoother face, but not what I expected.

After a week of informtion loaded from b&b 12hrs a day, I decide to try safety razors once more but I thought that I want a slimmer head razor so I ordered “Muhle Rocca” and gentlemen this time I got it right. I started my first shave w Rocca with 0 nicks cuts whatsoever and that THANKS TO YOU GUYS with the techniques that each of you give out.:cheerful:

Now after 3 months I have
Leaf razor : which is good but I don’t like that gigantic head.
Broman razor : the one that look like it can replace cartridge razor but too mild.
Merkur Futur : good razor after I know how to use it.
Muhle Rocca : my pick every time I’m in no brain.
Rex Ambassador : haven’t use it yet, feel really nice in hand.
Rockwell 6s : only one word to describe “smooth”
Razorock Lupo as .72 and DC : this is my new favorite right now.

I tend to test as many blades I could but Thailand really has limited choices. Most of them ordered from Amazon.
Muhle : good in every way for me but soooooo expensive.
Gillette Super Thin : hmmm, maybe I got a bad batch, pulls and tugs.
Gillette London Bridge : a little better than super thin but no thanks.
Dorco ST-300 : not ever again.
Gillette Perma-Sharp : it’s sharp, a really good blade.
Feather : soooooo sharp feel like my skin could rip off.
Astra ss : sharp but not feather sharp so It’s easier on my skin.
Rapira Platinum Lux : very similar to Astra ss with a tiny bit sharper edge from my feeling.
KAI : only blade that I need only 2 passes to get the job done, somehow blade feeling is more than others.

So for now I stick to Astra, Rapira and KAI. However I have other Blades in my stash.
BIC Platinum Chrome
Wilkinson Sword Classic
Gillette Nacet
Personna Med Prep
Voskhod
Gillette Silver Blue
Derby Premium
Treet Platinum
Dorco Prime

THANKS to you guys again and again, now I don’t have any ingrown hairs that suffer me for over 20+ years. And shaving become pleasant.

p.s. anyone has razors that you would like to recommend? Now I have my interest in Timeless TI.

Welcome aboard! Looks like you are doing just fine!

In answer to your question, ‘Have you considered a vintage razor?’

Reactions: Poh
@BigJ :001_smile
i don’t have any knowledge about vintage razor yet. This de razor is like a new world to me. What would you like me to dig into?

Yes, that's a photo of the Slim adjustable. But, that price is way too high. A nice Gillette Slim should be no more than $40 US.
Thank you. Maybe I should find on eBay but I’m afraid of broken one and there are no service here in Thailand.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Liked reading about your experience so far. This hobby or seeking the perfect shave or setup is a rabbit 🕳 for sure.

Thank you. Maybe I should find on eBay but I’m afraid of broken one and there are no service here in Thailand.
When you have enough posts here, just post a Want To Buy (WTB) on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum. Most of the time someone here will have and come through with what you're looking for.

You could always try the classic Gillette Tech, a mild razor that is excellent, plentiful, and inexpensive. As a three-piece razor with no moving parts, there is not much than can go wrong with them. Over the years a Tech is what I usually recommend for new DE shavers.

Thank you @Rhody. I feel like this hole is bottomless ... a month ago I stopped with Rex Ambassador but this month I got 6s and Lupo on hand:c16:.

When you have enough posts here, just post a Want To Buy (WTB) on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum. Most of the time someone here will have and come through with what you're looking for.

You could always try the classic Gillette Tech, a mild razor that is excellent, plentiful, and inexpensive. As a three-piece razor with no moving parts, there is not much than can go wrong with them. Over the years a Tech is what I usually recommend for new DE shavers.
Yes sir, I’ll take a look at Gillette Tech, but Slim caught my eyes because I never have a butterfly open yet. Would be nice to have one into my collection.

Yes sir, I’ll take a look at Gillette Tech, but Slim caught my eyes because I never have a butterfly open yet. Would be nice to have one into my collection.

That is certainly part of the appeal. The Slim is also a fine shaver, very fine! :thumbup: :thumbup:

That is certainly part of the appeal. The Slim is also a fine shaver, very fine! :thumbup: :thumbup:
I told my dad that I’m going to buy an Antique(vintage razor). Luckily he has 2 vintage Gillette razors which one is Slim!!!! But not sure what is another one. Slim come in a blue plastic case w clear top cap and another one in dark red. Will give it a try this weekend but they’re something in his collection ... so might just try.:001_005:

First, welcome to B&B.

You have made some significant progress. I have been a traditional shaver for many years and I had a hard time with the Futur. After about a dozen attempts I sold it!

Timeless makes excellent razors. I have the Timeless SS SB .68 and it is one of my favorite razors. Extremely smooth and efficient.

Timeless.jpg

Top Bottom