What's new

Greencult GC2.0

I swapped the handle, I usually love heavy handles but this one doesn't work for me at all.

Luckily I had two bead blasted handles from Stando Polska here. The Svarga and the default handle of the Chors razor.

View attachment 1558620
Original

View attachment 1558621
SvargaView attachment 1558623
Chors handle

I am very sure either handle will improve my shave, the thick original handle is not my favorite.

Shave tonight, let's see! ✌️
A You can my friend compare shaving and effects with sensations to the first steel version V1...

Gap 0.95 and Expo 0.25

Iridian

Cool and slimy
A You can my friend compare shaving and effects with sensations to the first steel version V1...

Gap 0.95 and Expo 0.25
For the GC 2.0 Plate IV it is:
Gap 1.05 mm
Exposure 0.20 mm

The difference is a bit more gap, a bit less exposure. I think there is a bit more bent on the plate and a bit less exposure works out nicely to stiffen the protruding blade a bit more. While I read the GC1 is more aggressive than even the IV plate, take a look at posting #19 in this thread, I think the GC2 IV plate geometry is a bit better. It's smoother when shaving, but I found it also increases injury potential and risk. Particularly because it is so nice, I underestimated the danger. Again. The GC1 bit me on the first time I shaved with it, too...^^

I will now shave and report back how much I like it on my 2nd shave with a different handle.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Green Cult 2.0 Plate IV / Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum, with Stando Chors handle

gch1.jpggch2.jpg

My first shave with the GC2.0 resulted in some injuries, I found it much more aggressive than the first version.
But it is an extremely efficient razor capable of a perfect shave. It trumps even my favorites like the Timeless Slim OC and can come close to the R41. It isn't quite as aggressive and unforgiving though, and shaves MUCH smoother all the time. Warning signs before one makes a mistake resulting in injury is a bit less compared to the GC1, audible feedback is also a bit less.

But all in all, it has superior shaving characteristics. A guaranteed BBS is easily achieved with few strokes and little cleanup, I rather had to pay attention not to cut myself.

But I didn't. This time I was prepared, didn't load a Feather but a more cushioned Gillette Super Platinum, a very thickly coated blade that is super smooth, and I replaced the default handle. With that of the Stando Polska Chors razor, he also bead blasts almost all of his razors and handles.

I dislike the original handle for many reasons, many probably subjective, but also some objective criticism. The heavy weight of the handle is quite concentrated into the 88mm and 13.8mm diameter. It is a very standard length handle, but thick and heavy. The shape itself and the spirals are not grippy enough for the weight.

In the end I had the weight adding even more aggression to the shave. The result was injury. Particularly people used to titanium handles and light razors will not like this handle, it isn't a particularly short handle for people who like that either.

I added a very conventional handle design, the default handle of the Stando Chors and lo behold, I had much better control over the shave and no injuries. It improved my experience dramatically. I can't help, the original handle also just makes the razor look fat, it has less of a neck than a Warhammer 40k Space Marine.

All in all, I hope there will be a future Green Cult handle with a more conventional design, I liked the GC1 handle many people found too long much better than this one.

What I love about the razor is that you have a lot of leeway with the shaving angle: shallow or steep, it works with both without misbehaving. The blade is firmly clamped to allow both. The GC2.0 with Plate IV is shaving smoother than the GC1, so one can say it is less aggressive in this regard, but injury potential is higher. The blade seems more eager to bite on mistakes, with less warning given.

@JacobW if you like the GC1, you will likely like the GC2.0 even more so. I would try the GC1 handle or a Stando handle if the GC2 seems to aggressive when trying it for the first time.

I swapped the handle, I usually love heavy handles but this one doesn't work for me at all.

Luckily I had two bead blasted handles from Stando Polska here. The Svarga and the default handle of the Chors razor.

View attachment 1558620
Original

View attachment 1558621
SvargaView attachment 1558623
Chors handle

I am very sure either handle will improve my shave, the thick original handle is not my favorite.

Shave tonight, let's see! ✌️
Love those handles. Hope they help.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I don't have a Green Cult razor so I'll lead with that.... but I have found, the lighter weight of the Timeless Ti Crown handles have improved my shaves on every razor I've tried with it. I do realize this is subjective. Sometimes, well, I could actually say, with every razor I've purchased with a heavy handle (usually in the 70 gram and higher range), the 42.7 grams of the Crown handle feels better to me.

I realize this is a true YMMV thing. I know the heavier handles are said to make a razor more efficient and also that the razor designers pick the weights of their handles as part of the product design. I've just found, the lighter weight changes how the razor handles (pun unintentional but funny to me) and that change is pleasurable to me. It doesn't hurt that the Timeless Ti Crown handle is a thing of beauty, also subjective.

Re2_MatteRazor.jpg

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I shave with the also heavy 100mm Timeless Barber Pole, also 14mm diameter. Fits my Timeless Slim OC nicely. Pinky under the butt, a bit longer and it also has an indent for the ring finger and a slimmer neck. That works out beautifully.

Maybe I have to figure out a better way to hold the GC 2.0 handle, but I seriously prefer about every other handle to it so far.

The Ti Crown would also work in stainless steel, in fact I was hoping and am still hoping they make them in SS one day. For me it isn't the weight, but shape/form factor and the super nice not-knurling type of pattern it has. If one wants to be anal about it, Timeless stated that it isn't knurling but whatever, it's nice and grippy. :c9:

@uptown it was in fact your postings where I saw that you switched the handle, and how well the Ti Crown fit, that made me switch to another handle even more quickly. As I have the polished Ti Crown I rather tried my bead blasted Stando handles first, they also work out much better than the default handle. For me, as usual YMMV.

I shave with the also heavy 100mm Timeless Barber Pole, also 14mm diameter. Fits my Timeless Slim OC nicely. Pinky under the butt, a bit longer and it also has an indent for the ring finger and a slimmer neck. That works out beautifully.

Maybe I have to figure out a better way to hold the GC 2.0 handle, but I seriously prefer about every other handle to it so far.

The Ti Crown would also work in stainless steel, in fact I was hoping and am still hoping they make them in SS one day. For me it isn't the weight, but shape/form factor and the super nice not-knurling type of pattern it has. If one wants to be anal about it, Timeless stated that it isn't knurling but whatever, it's nice and grippy. :c9:

@uptown it was in fact your postings where I saw that you switched the handle, and how well the Ti Crown fit, that made me switch to another handle even more quickly. As I have the polished Ti Crown I rather tried my bead blasted Stando handles first, they also work out much better than the default handle. For me, as usual YMMV.
What ever works for you. Sometimes its hard as there are so many choices (handles). The most important thing is that you like the head.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I don't have a Greencult razor but enjoyed reading this thread.

Probably I'd order the level 2 baseplate were I in the market, but I'm not.

To me the blade lacks sufficient baseplate support which means a lack of blade rigidity. That's a negative in my book.

I love the fat diameter of the handle and its kinda industrial look. However, the reviews of it as a functional handle are far less than stellar and consistent. My guess is the razor is not balanced very well. My Sailor in contrast has a very heavy handle. The Sailor is huge in every dimension plus it is a tank, but it defines perfect balance and is a delight to use. It looks like most users switch out the GC handle if they can.

I don't like buying handles I know I won't like. I don't prefer long handles. Calling an 88 mm handle short is naive. I'm an 80 mm guy. 75 mm is short.

The fact is the Greencult would have to major league wow me to sell me. It doesn't but I'm glad to have checked it out. It looks to me like these guys will continue to develop their product line so the GC 5.0 will be a winner, maybe.

Not knocking the razor - how could I having not used it? - but documenting my thinking here so I will know why I didn't order one when I down the road regret my decision.

Happy shaves,

Jim

To me the blade lacks sufficient baseplate support which means a lack of blade rigidity. That's a negative in my book.

I love the fat diameter of the handle and its kinda industrial look. However, the reviews of it as a functional handle are far less than stellar and consistent. My guess is the razor is not balanced very well. My Sailor in contrast has a very heavy handle. The Sailor is huge in every dimension plus it is a tank, but it defines perfect balance and is a delight to use. It looks like most users switch out the GC handle if they can.

I don't like buying handles I know I won't like. I don't prefer long handles. Calling an 88 mm handle short is naive. I'm an 80 mm guy. 75 mm is short.

The fact is the Greencult would have to major league wow me to sell me. It doesn't but I'm glad to have checked it out. It looks to me like these guys will continue to develop their product line so the GC 5.0 will be a winner, maybe.

Not knocking the razor - how could I having not used it? - but documenting my thinking here so I will know why I didn't order one when I down the road regret my decision.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I love the Greencult 1.0
Not many like the handle, but I do, because it is great for my head shave
The 2.0 level 3 is on its way
From what I read it's even better than the 1.0
I'll review it after a few shaves
Come to think of it: I can handle every handle in my den, from feather light bakelites to the heavy big ones, I just use them and rarely change any.
What makes shavers prefer some handles?
I'm in the dark a bit. Help me out here, Jim 👍🏼

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I love the Greencult 1.0
Not many like the handle, but I do, because it is great for my head shave
The 2.0 level 3 is on its way
From what I read it's even better than the 1.0
I'll review it after a few shaves
Come to think of it: I can handle every handle in my den, from feather light bakelites to the heavy big ones, I just use them and rarely change any.

I can use all the handles, too, but have discovered a decided preference for the fat handles. 13 mm. 14 mm.

Under 12 mm feels too skinny in my hand. I can use 'em, but I don't like 'em.

To me, it's mostly about the feel and the function of the razor as well as the feel and function of the handle.

I like the look of a fat handle.

I like short handles because they are not prone to getting in the way.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I usually prefer long, thick and heavy handles with knurling or indents for good grip. Very short and thin gets lost in my hands.

Not too helpful, but it is like that: the handle must feel right and give me control/grip. As I rather like it heavy, slippery is a no go.

The original handle of the GC2.0 is perhaps the first handle that feels not right and too thick in my hand. And I don't like bead blast finish. I like the GC2.0 head characteristics more but overall had a better experience with the 1.0. Wish they would have kept the handle, would have loved it all machined without bead blasting or coating.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Reading this thread and my earlier thoughts about the razor and particularly its handle just saved me from an Italian Barber purchase.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I am a 3 month newbie to wet shaving, a month ago.
After 15 years of tormenting myself with cartridge razors, I finally woke up.
I bought Muhle Companion, EJ DE89, Merkur 41C, Dscosmetic T7SE (RR Mamba70 clone) in the first two months.
My beard is so thick and thick that it ranks in the top 1% among Asians. I shave every two to four days.
I still have room to research things like how to shave, how to adjust the moisture content of soap, and the characteristics of blades.

A month ago I got GC2.0 and all 4 base plates.
My honest opinion is that the GC2.0 has a large blade exposure even on the #I plate, and is significantly more aggressive than the R89/DE89. I wish I had had a milder plate. That said, GC2.0 provides a great BBS for me.

Holding the GC2.0 up to the light reveals a small, precise gap between the blade and baseplate. Both the baseplate and the cap are slightly concave. In other words, it is the four corners of the blade that clamp the blade, which I believe will resist well against the pressure of closing the handle screws and metal fatigue from long use.

In addition, all four types of base plates are machined with extremely high precision. The only disappointment for me is that there are cutting marks on the back of the base plate, in the step where the handle is inserted.

Greencult's instagram has been updated and it looks like they will be launching open comb plates soon. Is anyone planning to purchase one? I plan to buy #I plate as soon as it launches.

I would enjoy talking about shaving with everyone and everything around the topic of GC2.0😊🥰

Last edited:
I have the 1.0
Just as I didn't have intention to buy the 2.0, it suddenly appeared here in a package. :lol: I mean you can never have enough aggressive razors, @Jack Goossen Right Padre? :c1:
Got the IV solid bar and the III OC plates. Hate the handle (just like the 1.0 handle). Probably will use it in a few days.

So, I sudennly decided in the morning to shave with the IV SB plate. It beats hands down the 1.0. Changing the exposure from 0.25 to 0.20 and increasing the gap from 0.95 to 1.05 was a great decision. Don't get me wrong, I love big exposure and huge gaps, but am not a fan on strong clamping of a big part of the blade. Since I used the same blade as my first 4 shaves with the 1.0 I can compare them objectively enough. With the 1.0 I can get weepers. With the 2.0 IV this is pretty hard. Closeness of shave seems to be pretty much the same.

So, I sudennly decided in the morning to shave with the IV SB plate. It beats hands down the 1.0. Changing the exposure from 0.25 to 0.20 and increasing the gap from 0.95 to 1.05 was a great decision. Don't get me wrong, I love big exposure and huge gaps, but am not a fan on strong clamping of a big part of the blade. Since I used the same blade as my first 4 shaves with the 1.0 I can compare them objectively enough. With the 1.0 I can get weepers. With the 2.0 IV this is pretty hard. Closeness of shave seems to be pretty much the same.
I have the GC 2.0 with the II, III, and IV plates and have been shaving every day with it since July. I progressively moved up in plate every couple weeks and found I liked the IV plate the best... then I started adding shims. Currently I'm using 5 blade shims with the IV plate and it's much better than without the shims if you enjoy shaving with a steep angle. With that setup my face is smoother than with anything else I've tried and my skin barely feels like I've shaved after. Much kinder to my skin than without the shims which I mainly just attribute to being able to use a steeper angle.

I would love to hear anyone else's experience with shimming this razor.

I have the GC 2.0 with the II, III, and IV plates and have been shaving every day with it since July. I progressively moved up in plate every couple weeks and found I liked the IV plate the best... then I started adding shims. Currently I'm using 5 blade shims with the IV plate and it's much better than without the shims if you enjoy shaving with a steep angle. With that setup my face is smoother than with anything else I've tried and my skin barely feels like I've shaved after. Much kinder to my skin than without the shims which I mainly just attribute to being able to use a steeper angle.

I would love to hear anyone else's experience with shimming this razor.
Instead of using 5 (!) shims it seems to me more reasonable to look for a razor with more gap / exposure than the IV.

Top Bottom