What's new

Green & White Ever-Ready

This is an Ever-Ready that I found in the wild that was an excellent canidate for restoration. The removal of the old knot went fairly straight forward. I always try and remove all of the old rubber/glue/epoxy that held the old knot in place. I have seen some brushes that have been discolored by the aging of the old glue material and I figure that it is worth getting all the old stuff out and start clean. One issue that can arrise when doing this is that the inside of the handle will be convex in shape and could possibly fill in with water and mold with a new knot. The way I have solved this is to coat the inside of the handle with epoxy several times to build the walls up. Then I can sand a good shaped opening for the knot. The easiest way I have found to do this is with the application of quick set epoxy and then rolling it on it's side to ensure an even thin coating. I end up doing several coats of epoxy this way. The end result is nice fitting opening that just needs a final bit of epoxy and the new knot placed in. I put in a 22mm Finest Badger from the Golden Nib. The loft is set to 51mm and it has a total height of 112mm.

$DSCN2176.JPG
View attachment 141615
View attachment 141616
View attachment 141617
View attachment 141618

You've ruined my day Spartan. I must have one like that.

And just for that, "GO WOLVERINES" !!

Stunning brush! I really want one like that!

+1 on how you got it so shiney! Also how did you get the lettering back?

Thanks for the comments. The finish is not clear coat. I use automotive paint for the lettering - it polishes well. The handle gets hand sanded with sand paper through 1500 grit then a rubbing compound polish, then a polishing compound polish, the Maas polish, then Flitz polish. I find that doing it by hand and taking it through the steps ends up with a nice finish. When first learning I tried using a Dremel and quickly learned that the small buffing wheels heat up and melt plastic very quickly ruining a good brush.

I JUST realized that it's in Spartan colors. Look who just caught on! :tongue_sm
That's even more impressive now.

Regards.

The handle gets hand sanded with sand paper through 1500 grit then a rubbing compound polish, then a polishing compound polish, the Maas polish, then Flitz polish.

Would you let us know what rubbing compound and what polishing compound? Need all the help I can get at this point!

PDM

Top Bottom