What's new

Green Tea

In southwest China (Sichuan), they drink out of gaiwan every day. Here's a photo of some loser trying to do just that in a tea-garden of a famous temple down there:

proxy.php

and here's a photo of how it should be done:

proxy.php

Note that when the Chinese are doing this sort of gaiwan-drinking, they use very few leaves - maybe <10% of the volume. When you're brewing "properly" (gonfucha style), you fill it 1/3rd full. Then, as Scotto rightly says, you really have to decant after ten seconds.

In gongfucha, you decant into a jug called a "gongdaobei" - a "fairness cup", so called because it evens out the brew, so that everyone can have an equal-strength cup from it. Here's my gongdaobei pouring into a typical-size cup (3 sips):

proxy.php

All good fun! I'm sure your relatives are going to love the tea this week-end. :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

This recent explosion in Tea related talk is bullying me into trying out some of the real deal instead of relying on Twinings English Breakfast as my go to choice.
I don't know what I want or what I like so I guess its time for some shopping and sipping... There goes the student budget again!

Cheers,

Richie

P.S. is there somewhere I can get an idiots sampler of the world outside of teabags, just something to give me a taste of variety.

Top Bottom