What's new

Green stuff in my Captain’s Choice copper bowl - What do I do?

@Captain Pre-Capsize all winter long I’ve used my shaving scuttle and had a couple tubs of soap sitting in my copper shaving bowl. Now that warmer weather is here, I uncovered the bowl to use it and discover this! I know it’s copper corrosion, but do I need to worry about it, or just load up and lather on?

DBCD96CF-CEED-4AFC-808C-DA1EE46F7C5C.jpeg

Feel at liberty to load up and lather on. You may choose to buff it a bit with some 3M Scotchpad type item. The more you polish, the brighter it will get so that you know.

This is not the first time so no worries, it will be fine. When it happened some time back we added this to the listing on our site:

Care instructions: Hand wash only - do not place in dishwasher. After each use simply rinse off and wipe dry.

Feel at liberty to load up and lather on. You may choose to buff it a bit with some 3M Scotchpad type item. The more you polish, the brighter it will get so that you know.

This is not the first time so no worries, it will be fine. When it happened some time back we added this to the listing on our site:

Care instructions: Hand wash only - do not place in dishwasher. After each use simply rinse off and wipe dry.
I suspect that when I had the soap tub sitting in the bowl, and I was sitting the Mitchell’s on top right after I rinsed the outside of the crock. Water drips down into the bowl and corrosion occurs. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t going to get copper poisoning or some such exotic ailment from using the bowl with the corrosion in it.

I suspect that when I had the soap tub sitting in the bowl, and I was sitting the Mitchell’s on top right after I rinsed the outside of the crock. Water drips down into the bowl and corrosion occurs. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t going to get copper poisoning or some such exotic ailment from using the bowl with the corrosion in it.

Best not to leave soap in the copper bowls. Mine did the same thing. But as the Captain said, scrub it off and carry on! Mine has given me years of dependable service and has many left.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
That green stuff is a copper oxide formed by the interaction between copper and oxygen. You can just polish it off with something like Brasso.

To help prevent it reoccurring, keep your copper bowl free of moisture inbetween uses in a well ventilated environment.
Copper is often protected from oxidation by a coat of clear lacquer. The lacquer on your bike may have come off where the oxide is. After polishing the oxide off, you may wish to spray a new coating of clear lacquer onto the bowl.

Last edited:

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Copper doesn't like alkaline, so this may be the oxidation caused by the interaction of residual soap and moisture. You don't need to worry about daily lather, just make sure to rinse and dry.

The local oxidation in the bowl is not enough to cause skin problems.
Professor Toyokawa (豊川行平) from Japan has done long-term animal experiments on the acute/chronic toxicity of patina and proved that patina is a very stable substance.

The following is the declaration of "Japan Copper and Brass Association".
銅と健康 | 一般社団法人 JCBA日本伸銅協会 - http://copper-brass.gr.jp/copper-and-brass/copper/health

Last edited:
Top Bottom