What's new

Green Stones and Microscope ID-ing

I think I’ll try and get it. These are pretty rare in the US.

Definitely go for it! They're excellent stones (whisper it quietly but they're better than Charnleys ;)).

This is just a guess based on colour but that one looks like it might be toward the coarser end, and not necessarily a finishing stone. It could be, but often the lighter ones seem to be a bit faster and coarser.

Reactions: Wid
Definitely go for it! They're excellent stones (whisper it quietly but they're better than Charnleys ;)).

This is just a guess based on colour but that one looks like it might be toward the coarser end, and not necessarily a finishing stone. It could be, but often the lighter ones seem to be a bit faster and coarser.

Bid put in, we shall see. I’ve heard the lighter colored ones are on the coarser side. If I’m lucky enough to get it I’ll find a place in my progression for it.

Bid put in, we shall see. I’ve heard the lighter colored ones are on the coarser side. If I’m lucky enough to get it I’ll find a place in my progression for it.

Nice, good luck!

The colour thing isn't a completely hard-and-fast rule, but as a generalisation it seems to hold a lot of the time. And actually (imo), you might find it better if it is on the coarser side... one of my very best, favourite stones of all is a large, coarse-ish Idwal. It's my go-to if I'm having trouble with getting a really good edge - going back to that and then onto the finishing stone again. There seem to be more types of very good natural finishers than there are good, quick prefinishers. Though this probably happens less to you than it does to me!

Also puts a blindingly good edge on a knife, around 7-9k I guess, whereas finer versions will go 12k+.

Another thing to note if you do get it - Idwals are very hard indeed, so you can play around with surface finish like with hard arks. Depending on whether you want it coarser/ faster or finer/slower.

Reactions: Wid
The box it comes in
0FDB8EE8-E045-402A-8C73-211D8A1F27A6.jpeg

Top Bottom