What's new

Green (red/black) NEW case with weird Probak/otto-esque long-thin bar handle

I received today my green (red/black) NEW case with a most suspicious razor, as discussed in the eBay thread.
link

I'm going to do some side-by-side shots. As it turned out, I did have one other handle like it. First, Chris's reference pic.
$ref.vhandles.jpg

The handle in question is the 6th from the left, a nickel/chromium version of what Chris would probably call a "long thin bar handle."

Let's start with the case.

• The outside appears exactly as the red/black set in dimension, but minus the reptilian texture in favor of a more basic textile exterior.
$IMG_20150807_243328077.jpg

• Inside, it looks like it had been left open in direct sunlight for many years. Quite possibly a rat family could have resided in here for a few generations. That's a bummer. I tried cleaning up a tad, but had to stop because the felt is so fragile. You can already see pronounced shedding in the front, as well as fading.
$IMG_20150807_243400841.jpg

• After a quick soak, this is the specimen. I couldn't tell that it was a thin handle from the ebay pic, but I could tell something was off. Turns out it is a bulky fitting.

$IMG_20150807_243434564.jpg

• Here is a comparison of the razor vs a standard probak. The NEWbak (sorry) has a much warmer tone and nicer looking plating than the tinny-looking probak. I only have a few, but all my other probaks were of the tinny variety.

$IMG_20150807_243757841.jpg

• Even with the crappy out-of-focus pic, you can see the top baseplate is more warm/yellow than the standard probak below. The lettering matches.

$IMG_20150807_244056529.jpg

• Here is the handle vs. a long thin bar handle, courtesy of Otto Roth.

$IMG_20150807_244154658.jpg

• Placed nose-to-nose, however, the NEWbak displays a much broader fitting. When putting the Otto baseplate assembly on to this handle, it doesn't fit snug due to the lower ridge on the Otto.

$IMG_20150807_244229395.jpg

• When placed against a standard thin common bar, the latter's fitting is also the same as the Otto.

$IMG_20150807_244419104.jpg

• Out of many other NEWs I have, this is the only other non-gold long thin bar handle I have, and in this case the fittings are a match. Ironically, I bought this handle when I first started focusing on NEWs, and it came with a mismatched Old-Type head. So, no assistance on that front.

$IMG_20150807_244324410.jpg

• And finally, the standard probak (left) vs the NEWbak. The fittings in this case are a match in diameter, but the probak has a much more pronounced lip at the bottom of the fitting (where it meets barrel of handle).

$IMG_20150807_244534667.jpg

So...was this green case a leftover, and combined with some mishmash of the Gillette/Probak era? This razor has been in the case long enough to acquire green tint from the side that must have been in contact with the felt. It won't come off with my regular cleaning process (Dawn, ultrasonic, toothbrush).

Also, the plating of the probak head. Can't claim to be an expert on probaks, but none of mine have that nickel? plating on them. The probak portion seems to jive completely with consistency to the handle.

Thoughts?

I can not help much here except to encourage you to replace the bottom part of the felt in the case. I believe that felt is easily accessible. Good luck!

Interesting, does anyone have a silver (chromium/Ni) long thin common bar for comparison??

Could it simply be a razor/case mismatch that occurred in the distant past? It is not unusual for razors and cases to get switched over the years. Just a thought.

Oh, it absolutely could be a mismatch, I'd put it at a 50% chance minimum.
It's just I haven't found a lot about the green case original razor, never before seen a probak with this plating, and know how Gillette liked to recycle pieces.
I have a Canadian goodwill that has a gold probak handle that I'm positive is original to the set, so I was thinking this might be a reverse of that situation. Unfortunately, I can't find much info.

Oh, it absolutely could be a mismatch, I'd put it at a 50% chance minimum.
It's just I haven't found a lot about the green case original razor, never before seen a probak with this plating, and know how Gillette liked to recycle pieces.
I have a Canadian goodwill that has a gold probak handle that I'm positive is original to the set, so I was thinking this might be a reverse of that situation. Unfortunately, I can't find much info.
I don't know if you've seen this thread of my find, Matt, but Porter posts links to a couple of other threads in post #6 that include other links, as well, to take you further down the rabbit hole. Mine came with a common bar handle NEW LC, fwiw.

So there is a green and black as well as the green on green? Very interesting read. How many documented cases are there, any idea? You still have yours?

Top Bottom