What's new

green mountain shaving soap

I bought a few pucks. The lather is not very good. It's very foamy, but I usually super or uberlather, so it's not a big deal. Just wanted to let those who thought about purchasing this soap in the near future know. For those that have used this soap, what's your lather like? is it real foamy? I added water bit by bit and it was still pretty foaming. Very strange for a tallow soap.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Not foamy for me, My experience is that it is an excellent soap.

Next question, are you trying to lather on that barrel-shaped puck? I didn't even try, I grated it immediately into a container with a good surface area to lather on.

Cheers, Steve

Next question, are you trying to lather on that barrel-shaped puck? I didn't even try, I grated it immediately into a container with a good surface area to lather on.

Cheers, Steve

Yes, I lather directly on the puck.

This soap has been on my list for awhile now. Just need to finish up some Williams and Haslinger first.

What scent did you get and how would you describe it?

Thanks.

Cheers, Steve
Wonderful soap when grated. This soap would have gotten better traction if it had been formated better by Green Mountain.

I have been curious about GMS for a while now. They have received mixed reviews, which makes me think twice, but I recently picked up some MW, which also gets mixed reviews, and it made a very nice lather with no problems. I will still keep this one on my watch list.

I got a box from Amazon called Green Mountain soap. If this is the same one then the scent is fleeting but clean for me. The lather took a little work for me to get right, but in the end it worked out fine. I think it is less slick than the average artisan soap, but it was workable and provided a nice shave in the end. I could probably have loaded more soap for a better lather. I only paid $4.99 for the box as it was listed as an add-on item, but for the money it was well worth it. I'd say use more product and work in the water a bit slower...I built the lather in my hand, then swiped it onto my face with the brush. That seemed to work better than creating it on my face.

I ended up getting the Cheaha soap. Very nice original scent, but I couldn't get a stable lather no matter what I did. Tried different brushes, technique, loading time, water, etc. I even grated a small amount and pressed it in a bowl, still couldn't get a lather that wouldn't disappear while shaving. This is a soft water area, and usually don't have lather issues. It's sad because I like the scent, and it is unique to see a artisan triple milled soap.

That was one of my first soaps. I thought it was the bomb until I tried Barrister and Mann, now that's a soap!

Reviews of this one are all over the place. Its triple milled, so loading might take longer. The guys at Straight Razor Place once said it was the best soap they have ever tried for straight razor shaving.

I've tried the bath soaps and they're wonderful.

Top Bottom